• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Noble Ox

Pocket watch repairer?

Hi, Can anyone recommend a pocket watch repair service in the London area? I had a watch repair shop in Bangkok clean up a vintage Elgin full hunter, and they managed to make it worse! 

Any recommendations welcome, as I will be in UK for a few weeks this September.

Thanks

Hi Noble, a few of us do repairs, myself included, the problem is everyone has a waiting list of work to do, so best thing probably is find someone your comfortable with and then leave it with them to post back to you when it is completed

Kind Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I know nothing about repairs! What I am looking for is someone who can open it up, clean the inner workings, and probably replace the spring. A full wind used to last 7-8 hours, but since it was 'cleaned' by a local watch repairer in Bangkok the spring is jammed on full wind and it no longer runs at all.  Additionally, they managed to dislodge the crystal (glass face), and I can't get it back on. 

Was hoping there was a repair service available....  

Best  regards,

Tom 

Hi Simon2,

I posted some photos of it a couple of years ago, but got zero response, so didn't take it any further. I have never opened up the inner workings. It was a gift from my father over 40 years ago, and since I know nothing about watches I may do more damage than good.

Tom

Hi;  welcome to the forum.  the forum is the place to learn how to safely disassemble a watch.   the local "fix it guy"  is not the solution.  good reputation is not easy to find.   trust your forum.  vin

I will repair it ,if you want me to. Shout if you want  my details. Shame it has gone from a runner to a dead stopper. Hope this helps. regards Simon.

I have a similar request. My great-grandfather's pocket watch has been a non runner for years. I left it with a watch repair shop and they had it for over a year and offered up numerous fusee chains to it but none were compatible. I'm a bit gutted, does anyone on here repair fusee chains? Its a Donegan Pocket watch from Dublin, I would really like to get the fusee chain repaired and get it serviced if anyone can help please PM me. He removed the fusee chain which I have it has a small hook at one end.

HuHcSoc.jpg

povTyii.jpg

v1sXlyo.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish quality photos they were taken with my camera phone. This watch is about all I have that belonged to my great-grandfather as all of his other watches and jewellery were stolen in a robbery. If anyone can help get it up and running again please let me know.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the offer. Whereabouts in the UK are you based? You can reply to me by private message, if this forum has such a facility. 

Cheers,

Tom 

The forum is blocking me from sending a personal message (something about not having 50 posts). So would appreciate getting your contact details by some other method. 

many thanks,

Tom 

8 hours ago, Noble Ox said:

The forum is blocking me from sending a personal message (something about not having 50 posts). So would appreciate getting your contact details by some other method. 

many thanks,

Tom 

You need 50 posts to send messages and no speed posting as it's frowned upon.

You will get there for sure.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. 

Have to say, this isn't the most newbie-friendly forum I belong to. With the exception of 3-4 members there has been so little response to topics I've posted, that I've struggled to reach 20 posts in 2 years.  I might get to 50 posts by 2022...! 

Tom in Bangkok

So tell me, PC Magician, how am I supposed to get a message to Simon2...?

2 hours ago, Noble Ox said:

Have to say, this isn't the most newbie-friendly forum I belong to. With the exception of 3-4 members there has been so little response to topics I've posted, that I've struggled to reach 20 posts in 2 years.  I might get to 50 posts by 2022...! 

If you've only managed 20 posts in 2 years, maybe this isn't the forum for you...?  :whistle:

You could try joining tz-uk.com, I hear they are a pretty friendly bunch, and welcome all newbies with open arms.

Thanks Davey,

You may be right that this forum isn't for me!

I joined almost two years because I thought someone on this forum might be able to recommend a place or person to repair a vintage pocket watch that my father once gave me.  Last week I finally had another member offer to help, but the Forum "rules" is preventing us get each other's contact details. 

Kind of weird, don't you think? 

All best,

Tom

PS: The reason I can't clock up more posts is because whenI tired posting a couple of other vintage watches I have, there was ZERO response. 

And now I bet this PS is going to be "merged" with my previous 1 or 2 posts, so they only count as one. An uphill struggle....!

Not weird at all mate, the forum rules about the PM system being open to members with 50+ posts under their belt is a sensible precaution to stop spammers and scammers coming in and abusing the website as soon as they join.  Anyone trying to get around the rules by speedposting one word answers just to get to 50 posts is easily spotted by the moderators, and swiftly dealt with and banned.  Same with the sales corner on here, it is a privilege offered to long standing and trustworthy members with 50+ posts, which stops chancers and dealers joining just to flog their tat on here, then disappearing again (One or two idiots have got through in the past, but that is thankfully quite rare...)

I hope that goes some way to explain the ethos behind this place, and I'm sorry if it hasn't been a good experience for you.

For your information, if it was @simon2 you wanted to contact, he has his own section on the forum, so you might try posting a question on there and he should see it and respond to you directly with his contact details.  The link for his section is here:

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/forum/57-ask-simon/

:rltrlt:

• Like 1