• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Timex Welton.

Spotted these two new retro models. 38mm. £129 from Timex, probably cheaper elsewhere.

TW2R88000.png?sw=520&sh=520&sm=fit

TW2R87900.png?sw=520&sh=520&sm=fit

• Like 2

I keep looking at the images and can't decide whether I like those or not. They've clear, legible, uncluttered, unfussy dials which I generally like. The case shape and crown look ok and well matched & the strap suits the design, but there's something I'm not sure of which I can't really put my finger on.

46 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

but there's something I'm not sure of which I can't really put my finger on.

If they were £30, I wouldn't hesitate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Littlelegs said:

I keep looking at the images and can't decide whether I like those or not. They've clear, legible, uncluttered, unfussy dials which I generally like. The case shape and crown look ok and well matched & the strap suits the design, but there's something I'm not sure of which I can't really put my finger on.

I agree with the above^

just don’t know if I like them or not!!

Imagine that a few mm bigger with a Unitas 6498 squeezed inside 

Likely that most who are not liking these, or not sure, realise at the back of the mind, that Timex never made an original much like them? They could equally be SKMEI or any other Chinasian maker's offer. :yes:

OTOH, I think they are an option for the "look" if that's what floats yer boat! (@ £40 as suggested) :thumbsup:

I ordered the white dial version a few days ago.  Will post some real life pics when it arrives.  I have a hunch though that it's not actually shipping quite yet but I hope that the wait is not too long.

• Thanks 1

The Timex Welton just arrived and first impressions are very good indeed.

Timex%20Welton%2020180830a.jpg

The vintage appearance is executed extremely well with its classic design features, artificially aged 38mm brass/bronze look case and aged-lume style colouring for the numerals.  At first glance it could be easily mistaken for something once worn on the wrist of a WW1 soldier or early aviator.  The bund strap is soft, comfortable and suits the watch well.  A hand-crafted "distressed" leather strap would look even better.

Of course this is not a vintage piece at all and it has modern features that make this great for everyday wear.  It's quartz powered and pressing the crown activates the now-familiar "Indiglo" backlight which illuminates the whole dial making it easy to see the time during the night.  Interestingly, pulling out the crown to the first position allows the hour hand to be independently adjusted backwards and forwards just like a Rolex GMT Master II which is great for travelers who move back and forth between different time zones.  Pulling out the crown to the second position stops the second hand and allows the minute/hour hands to be adjusted for time setting as normal.

Timex%20Welton%2020180830b.jpg

Timex%20Welton%2020180830c.jpg

If you want that vintage look but don't want to risk something genuinely old and fragile then the Welton is a good choice.  Delighted with mine so far.  Time will tell (groan!)   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2018 at 19:02, rhaythorne said:

I ordered the white dial version a few days ago.  Will post some real life pics when it arrives.  I have a hunch though that it's not actually shipping quite yet but I hope that the wait is not too long.

Where did you order it from? Goes without saying that I like your new watch!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rhaythorne said:

Delighted with mine so far. 

It looks a lot better in your pictures than it does on the Timex website. Thanks for posting.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tangent said:

Where did you order it from? Goes without saying that I like your new watch!

Ordered mine direct from Timex UK @ £129.99 when it was first announced in their mailshot.  As mentioned earlier it's possible it might be available a bit cheaper elsewhere at some point.  If you're new to Timex they may offer a 10% or so discount when you place your first order. 

56 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Ordered mine direct from Timex UK @ £129.99 when it was first announced in their mailshot.  As mentioned earlier it's possible it might be available a bit cheaper elsewhere at some point.  If you're new to Timex they may offer a 10% or so discount when you place your first order. 

Ta 

On 30/08/2018 at 09:37, rhaythorne said:

The Timex Welton just arrived and first impressions are very good indeed.

The vintage appearance is executed extremely well with its classic design features, artificially aged 38mm brass/bronze look case and aged-lume style colouring for the numerals.  At first glance it could be easily mistaken for something once worn on the wrist of a WW1 soldier or early aviator.  The bund strap is soft, comfortable and suits the watch well.  A hand-crafted "distressed" leather strap would look even better.

Of course this is not a vintage piece at all and it has modern features that make this great for everyday wear.  It's quartz powered and pressing the crown activates the now-familiar "Indiglo" backlight which illuminates the whole dial making it easy to see the time during the night.  Interestingly, pulling out the crown to the first position allows the hour hand to be independently adjusted backwards and forwards just like a Rolex GMT Master II which is great for travelers who move back and forth between different time zones.  Pulling out the crown to the second position stops the second hand and allows the minute/hour hands to be adjusted for time setting as normal.

If you want that vintage look but don't want to risk something genuinely old and fragile then the Welton is a good choice.  Delighted with mine so far.  Time will tell (groan!)   

Could you tell me if the strap lugs have springbars or if they are fixed and require a one piece strap?

Best,

Matthew

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:01, WRENCH said:

It looks a lot better in your pictures than it does on the Timex website. Thanks for posting.  :thumbsup:

I agree , it does look better , its not a bad looking watch .:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with wrench and tazmo, the welton actually looks better in your images than the timex promo ones. Enjoy:clap:

Edited by Littlelegs
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, m.and said:

Could you tell me if the strap lugs have springbars or if they are fixed and require a one piece strap?

Best,

Matthew

Hi Matthew.  The wire lugs don't have springbars so you'll either need to use a one piece strap or one of the open ended/clip on types.

Timex%20Welton%20Lugs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a mineral crystal which I've always found to be robust enough in the past, but then I don't bash my watches about too much having always had a desk job and now no job at all apart from lounging about drinking whisky, listening to music and watching old movies :biggrin:  I've not scratched mine yet although it might look a bit grubby in the above photo as I didn't wipe it clean beforehand and just wanted to show the type of lugs.  Haven't worn anything else since its arrival last week!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Hi Matthew.  The wire lugs don't have springbars so you'll either need to use a one piece strap or one of the open ended/clip on types.

Thanks for the reply and the photo.  Good on Timex for holding to tradition in that aspect.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2018 at 10:28, rhaythorne said:

Timex%20Welton%20Lugs.jpg

Made for a distressed suede nato. I just wish the hands had the same black border as the numerals. Or maybe not, I'd have to buy one then. I think it's superb apart from that.