• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
petrut

Condensation in new water resistant Wenger

Hi everybody,

I've brought a new water resistant Wenger from a Swiss certified store.  I was very happy with the purchase: it was looking nice and sturdy. Having a leather bracelet, i've been avoiding the water contact, although the watch itself is 100 M water resistant.

Two month after purchase i made a deep into the sea - i actually forgot in on my hand – and the watch become suddenly foggy with a huge amount of condensation inside. A week after this event it still has so many small drops that you can barely read it. After returning from the holiday i went to the local service partner (i live in Romania). I was told that the watch was tested and is perfectly sealed . Also that the condensation is normal after "improper use" - i've been told that i had exposed the watch to "extreme temperatures".  The watch is still in warranty and i was supposed to pay the water removal (not much, 12 euros, but anyway). I refused to pay it on my own as i cannot do it after each use of the watch in conditions which is supposed to properly work. Im very disappointing by both the quality of the watch and by the client service too. I don’t think is the local service fault, it looks like a global policy. I wrote many email to Wenger and its parent VictorInox company but until now they hide behind the local service partner (!). I owned various cheaper watches (Timex, Seiko, Citizen) and used them in real extreme temperatures: ice cold water after sauna, etc, but never got a single drop of condensation inside for none. Now i got plenty after a innocent splash over a brand new Swiss made 100 M resistant watch and i have to deal with that on my own, even in warranty.

Is it ok to have condensation (if is condensation) in a brand new water resistant watch? Is it also ok to have it fixed on your expense if that watch is still in warranty ? If im the one to blame for this im assume that i need to bring it to service after almost each splash I will write a complain to the Swiss Customer Care authority and im checking with you if im right or not. A second opinion than their own service would be very useful for me. The warranty itself is kind of vague and my feeling is that the watch has been assembled in a humid environment and i have to fix that on my own. Maybe i was so unlucky to get one of those watches out of 10 000 which comes with a trouble - but blaming me for that make me very frustrated.

Thanks and best wishes, Petrut

DswURXE.jpg 

You've just answered your own question.

The problem is simple. The 100m water resistance of the watch. 100m water resistance DOES NOT mean that the watch can dive at a depth of around 100m.

Unless we're talking about a high quality (and expensive) watch I would not recommend that you enter the water with a watch with a water resistance smaller than 200m.

I have a feeling that your watch does not have a screw in crown which is usually the cause for water entering inside. 100m WR could also mean that the gasket of the glass is either improper for diving or non-existent.

On one hand it's not normal that you have to pay these services from your own pocket but at the same time the water got inside because you went into the water with it and not because it is faulty.

Water inside the watch can mean that eventually it will break down or some parts of the movement might become damaged and the watch itself will stop working.

Normally in this case a service of the watch is highly recommended. Perhaps you can return it or replace it with a different one. There are high chances that it'll stop working in the near future especially since there is still water inside. Even if you remove the water there will still be debris left inside the watch, especially the movement. If you dove in salt water that makes it even worse as it can slowly corrode the parts.

Many manufacturers (primarily the cheap ones) often lie when it comes to the water resistance of their watches especially if they're below 200m.

Thanks for your quick answer, Gimli.

There is something that i cannot understand: that a new watch which has 100 meter WR functionality cannot handle a splash and gets foggy after a swim. Do i need a diver watch to wash my hands without removing it? Ok, it's not an expensive one (150 euro) but i never had any issues with much cheaper ones in many real extreme situations (steamy sauna then cold water, etc).

The issue is that the Romanian partner of Wenger (B&B collection) wants only to service it at my expense (of course i asked for a replacement or refund). They're saying that the watch is properly made and the water is condensation from the inside air, not leaked in. 

59 minutes ago, gimli said:

You've just answered your own question.

The problem is simple. The 100m water resistance of the watch. 100m water resistance DOES NOT mean that the watch can dive at a depth of around 100m.

Unless we're talking about a high quality (and expensive) watch I would not recommend that you enter the water with a watch with a water resistance smaller than 200m.

Many manufacturers (primarily the cheap ones) often lie when it comes to the water resistance of their watches especially if they're below 200m.

With respect, this is rubbish. 

If the watch is rated to 100m WR then it should be able to handle immersion in water. I doubt the OP actually dived to anywhere near 100m so the watch has failed in its stated operation. 

Extreme temperature fluctuations can highlight moisture already in the watch but the OP’s pic is more severe than that and will need a proper service to remove the moisture. Not something he should be paying for.

I’m not sure on Romanian sales law, but in the UK it would be going straight back to the shop for a full refund and I’d be looking for another watch.

36 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

it would be going straight back to the shop for a full refund and I’d be looking for another watch.

This.

I had the same problem, and got the offer of a refund or replacement.

51 minutes ago, petrut said:

Thanks for your quick answer, Gimli.

There is something that i cannot understand: that a new watch which has 100 meter WR functionality cannot handle a splash and gets foggy after a swim. Do i need a diver watch to wash my hands without removing it? Ok, it's not an expensive one (150 euro) but i never had any issues with much cheaper ones in many real extreme situations (steamy sauna then cold water, etc).

The issue is that the Romanian partner of Wenger (B&B collection) wants only to service it at my expense (of course i asked for a replacement or refund). They're saying that the watch is properly made and the water is condensation from the inside air, not leaked in. 

Unfortunately this is a common misunderstanding about water resistance, it is done under test conditions and not under real life conditions swimming for example. For swimming you need a watch with 200m water resistance and a screw down crown. For washing your hands 100m is fine!

The watch partner however is wrong and it is not from the inside air and is not normal

25 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

This.

I had the same problem, and got the offer of a refund or replacement.

I cannot go back to the shop, this was bought on an international airport. Now, the service partner wants only to remove the water at my expense. Refund of replacement were denied. The manufacturer points to the local partner. I dont have any other options than to make a complain at the Swiss Customer Care service. Did you had the same problem with a Wenger? thanks. 

33 minutes ago, petrut said:

Did you had the same problem with a Wenger? thanks. 

Yes, retailer gave me a refund, and I bought another, different watch from them.

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Yes, retailer gave me a refund, and I bought another, different watch from them.

thanks, is good to know! 

I finally managed to get an answer from the seller which wont reimburse me as long as their service conclusion was that the watch has no any manufacturing issues. 

Doesn't anybody know if contacting the Swiss (which is out of EU) Customer Care authorities helps? Im trying anyway without luck to find their address to write an online complaint.

Thanks!

dd1jkv2.jpg

Romania is still not a good place to open up such disputes and in this case it can be a bit tricky.

Then again, the watch, supposedly, should not have taken water and, yet, it did so they should refund you or replace the watch. But how many times does that happen in Romania ? Not often.

As I said earlier, that watch might be compromised because there's quite a lot of water inside.

There are ways to get it out, for example, using rice but I'm not sure if you want to do that. You just put the watch in rice, so to speak, and the water should eventually disappear.

The watch was bought from Zurich airport duty free . I have never had any troubles getting refunded in Romania in the past with other items (laptops, etc). The only part in Romania now is their service partner, which they say the watch is ok. But im sure they just follow the Wenger policies in these cases. 

And yes i did i've let in in rice jar, with the opened crown for days and days. Once it put it in my hand, the water comes again on the glass. 

Usually, 100m WR watches don't have a screw in crown but a standard push/pull type.

This means that the stem or crown will have one or two rubber gaskets on the inside. Picture below.

In your case, most likely water got inside easily due to a lot of water pressure while diving/swimming (which the gasket couldn't handle) but it's not getting out (again, because of the gasket) so only opening up the watch and cleaning it will solve this.

I have a strong feeling that if you were to take it back to the airport where you picked it up, they'd refund you or replace the watch.

Watches are a very limited niche market in Romania and so these guys aren't doing too good. And when industries don't do good in a country like Romania, they're not going to give you back the money or offer you a brand new product that easily.

As you said, emailing directly to wenger or something like that might offer a better solution. Hope you'll sort it out. If not, removing the water from the watch is easy, simple and fast (not counting the movement, that one will need either replacing or servicing).

130968V1.JPG

2 hours ago, gimli said:

Romania is still not a good place to open up such disputes and in this case it can be a bit tricky.

Then again, the watch, supposedly, should not have taken water and, yet, it did so they should refund you or replace the watch. But how many times does that happen in Romania ? Not often.

As I said earlier, that watch might be compromised because there's quite a lot of water inside.

There are ways to get it out, for example, using rice but I'm not sure if you want to do that. You just put the watch in rice, so to speak, and the water should eventually disappear.

rice !   I  like that.   vin

7 hours ago, gimli said:

Usually, 100m WR watches don't have a screw in crown but a standard push/pull type.

This means that the stem or crown will have one or two rubber gaskets on the inside. Picture below.

In your case, most likely water got inside easily due to a lot of water pressure while diving/swimming (which the gasket couldn't handle) but it's not getting out (again, because of the gasket) so only opening up the watch and cleaning it will solve this.

I have a strong feeling that if you were to take it back to the airport where you picked it up, they'd refund you or replace the watch.

Watches are a very limited niche market in Romania and so these guys aren't doing too good. And when industries don't do good in a country like Romania, they're not going to give you back the money or offer you a brand new product that easily.

As you said, emailing directly to wenger or something like that might offer a better solution. Hope you'll sort it out. If not, removing the water from the watch is easy, simple and fast (not counting the movement, that one will need either replacing or servicing).

130968V1.JPG

I feel like soaking it overnight in fish & chips:)

The beauty of this issue is that the Wenger/VictorInox manufacturer doesn't allow me to do a second expertise. The only expertise allowed is by their partner service in Romania, and if i do another one (which may prove they're not right) i lose my warranty. But having a valid warranty they still asked me to pay for the repair. All this story is such a nonsense that is becoming hilarious (well, is actually rather frustrating me). I'll keep you updated with the end. If they dont refund me i will try to sell the watch as a survival kit - it produces some good quantities of water. 

and thanks for advises!