• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Smitty1

Nixoid and Glower Nixie watches. What do you think? Practical or Gimmicky?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2114919621/excellent-nixie-watch-ver-1/posts/2264713

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwlgLKlwVQ&t=

I do like the aesthetics of the tubes, dear @Smitty1, and how they light up, but unfortunately it seems that in order to render them in watch form it is necessary to have a large lump on your wrist. I therefore feel that they are not well-suited to incorporation into a watch. I also wonder how reliable the tubes are in daily wear on the wrist.

11 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I do like the aesthetics of the tubes, dear @Smitty1, and how they light up, but unfortunately it seems that in order to render them in watch form it is necessary to have a large lump on your wrist. I therefore feel that they are not well-suited to incorporation into a watch. I also wonder how reliable the tubes are in daily wear on the wrist.

They are using ABS 3d printed material- so hopefully they come up with ways to get that lump down. That's the only thing that bothers me, is the case. I brought it up to them and they said they've been working on it. 

• Like 1

At 55mm diameter that is a definite no no for me.

Just as an aside, didn't we have a member here who made nixie clocks in all manner of things such as bottles etc?

On 31/08/2018 at 18:23, Smitty1 said:

Meh. 

Welcome to the forum. :drinks:  What's YOUR interest in this, Smitty1?  Usually when a brand new user joins a/the forum and immediately posts a Kickstarter link for their inaugural post,... it's adverspamming.  :thumbdown:   Any relation to 1Nightwolf on Reddit? :whistling:  

Please prove me wrong by posting in the Introduce yourself section with pics of your own collection, and some background about your interest in watches. :hmmm9uh:

I think for me it is far too chunky and a bit over the top for me but it is a nice idea. I am much more into a simple watch and simple finish. Good luck but I am going to have to pass on this one. 

As this is only my second post here, I would like to introduce myself. I only started wearing watches about 2 years ago and my passion for a well made watch has grown more and more. I do some blogging and I often get sent watches to review. I am no expert but I want to learn more and get involved and that is why I am here. Nice to meet you all!