• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

Yet another boring unboxing . . .

Now that Imgur has deigned to reappear . . . .

. . . . . yesterday's acquisition :)

RRD0n86.jpg

niShEDD.jpg

jZ435De.jpg

DSxoazK.jpg

tCbW8gT.jpg

KizLZkZ.jpg

Another "entry level" watch from a manufacturer I admire :blush:

Moritz Grossmann Atum Pure "M"

MG Kaliber 201.0 manually wound

41mm stainless steel

• Like 12

I am a little bit unsure as to whether the aesthetics of the watch appeal to me. It may be that wearing this watch for a while would let me appreciate it more, and that photographs don't do it complete justice. I shall be interested to see what other members make of the design.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I am a little bit unsure as to whether the aesthetics of the watch appeal to me.

I had the same initial thought, but thinking about the textures and levels of the dial, I'm certain that the two-dimensional nature of any photograph won't do it justice; I bet it's much nicer when handled. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shoughie0 said:

I had the same initial thought, but thinking about the textures and levels of the dial, I'm certain that the two-dimensional nature of any photograph won't do it justice; I bet it's much nicer when handled. :)

I think the textures are rather nice (obviously)  --  the centre mesh becomes more or less transparent depending on viewing angle.

GM's own attempt at illustrating it is here.

Others' attempts are here.

• Like 1

I know your ilk, one might call you a bit of a Bill Sanders.  Not afraid to stray away from the beaten path and take a chance on the more obscure.

This has some nice features, glad to see some members pushing into new territory and beating a path that leaves us better informed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yokel said:

yesterday's acquisition :)

Yet another piece or "wrist art" :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I have been looking at this brand for a while now, they are similar to Moser in that they have revived a name of a long dead watch maker but a more interesting thing about them is I believe the person in charge of the brand is a woman (Used to work for one of the big manufacturers cant remember which one now)  Yes indeed it should look very Glashutte as it is a Glashutte brand.

I believe everything in the movement is hand made and finished with this brand (Which is where the cost comes in) As far as I know they only have one authorised dealer here in the UK William and Son who have a number of high end watches, from what I can see on your pictures the movement is less decorated than some of the other ones so perhaps thats what is meant by "entry level" Some of the other Atum watches have a more decorated movement I do like the blue dial version of this.

Did you manage to find this in the UK or abroad?

8 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

I have been looking at this brand for a while now, they are similar to Moser in that they have revived a name of a long dead watch maker but a more interesting thing about them is I believe the person in charge of the brand is a woman (Used to work for one of the big manufacturers cant remember which one now)  Yes indeed it should look very Glashutte as it is a Glashutte brand.

I believe everything in the movement is hand made and finished with this brand (Which is where the cost comes in) As far as I know they only have one authorised dealer here in the UK William and Son who have a number of high end watches, from what I can see on your pictures the movement is less decorated than some of the other ones so perhaps thats what is meant by "entry level" Some of the other Atum watches have a more decorated movement I do like the blue dial version of this.

Did you manage to find this in the UK or abroad?

I have also had MG on my radar for a while now. I certainly knew that A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Original, Nomos, Tutima and Moritz Grossmann are all based within a very few metres of each other (see map  --  and scale (just below Lange))

G1TQxjP.jpg

My interest was piqued when, during my last visit to Wempe in Bond Street (on a different subject), I mentioned that I was interested in an MG. Even though it is not a brand they carry, they (one Brit, one German) seemed quite enthused and asked me to bring it in if I ever got one. Later, my interest was confirmed when I visited William and Son to find that MG was presented in the same area as H. Moser & Cie, De Bethune, Girard-Perregaux, F. P. Journe and Laurent Ferrier  --  unfortunately I did not get out with my credit card unscathed (Moser Pioneer  --  love at first sight).

Yes, it is "entry level" because it is made down to a price  --  much less decoration, and a steel case. The structure of the watch, and movement, is however the same as on more expensive models  --  pretty much all hand made, right down to the hands.

My watch is fifteen months old, and unworn. It was (apparently) presented as a prize following Baselworld last year. The warranty card is unstamped, but dated and signed. MG has been good enough to confirm to me (by return) that the card is valid, and the signature is that of Christine Hutter, their CEO (as you say, indeed a lady).

MUtprBa.jpg

I found it on the website of Watches of Westminster (see separate thread in "Free Talk" where I sought your advice on the seller)  --  so, yes, in the UK  --  and clearly I did the research before buying.

My dear @yokel, I have had another good look at all the pics and taken note of the comments made here regarding your watch, as is always wise when trying to formulate a considered judgement. In view of all this, I must admit that I have really warmed to its design and evident quality, and my hesitance in passing a firm opinion at the beginning of this thread has vanished. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

My dear @yokel, I have had another good look at all the pics and taken note of the comments made here regarding your watch, as is always wise when trying to formulate a considered judgement. In view of all this, I must admit that I have really warmed to its design and evident quality, and my hesitance in passing a firm opinion at the beginning of this thread has vanished. :thumbsup:

Dear @Always"watching"

I am well aware that my taste is well removed from the norm of watch lovers. So, I'm not remotely surprised or upset when pieces I love fail to meet with general approbation. Variety is, after all, the spice . . .

However, it is always pleasant to find that your taste is not completely alien to some more experienced WISs  --  and, there are some on this forum whose opinions I value highly. Glad you have come down on the positive side of the fence :yes:

• Like 1