• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Alan C

A bit of browsing

Spent a good 2 hours in Ernest Jones in Manchester today. Only went in for a quick look, but was soon trying on stuff I never thought I’d like. The sales guy took us all round the different brands and his suggestions were spot in on. 

To be honest, I could have bought most of the watches I tried on today, but walked out empty handed with a few decisions to make. 

Apologies for the poorly focused pictures, and for the wrist shots making  the watches look bigger than they were. I must learn to take photos from a greater distance! 

Here’s a selection of the ones I tried on.

Some Cartiers, which I really liked.

b0484427810f5721676faf80844f32b2.jpg

53634fb47d2f0c7f67b770a1ccf54b60.jpg

4c1e6f9f7f5cc468ca9f743c87b7e95d.jpg

658fa3997163e8e4324366456765d6d6.jpg

Some Glashuttes, which were simply stunning. 

9fcc25a488f9950540bb8e9bb0614e80.jpg

fcff29de69bb28f9707c3ae008f693f4.jpg

018d50dae7857a755ab73a5fc80315c4.jpg

bf053f05259105e882a09ea8d39874ab.jpg

f76d7ba68f59b924d36d6e4b4ef2a4f4.jpg

ce530f0b80af229e70f3b5cb60c1ee33.jpg

Omega Z33 and a Proplov. They looked huge, but didn’t wear big on my wrist (honest).

0344f38e668f95b39ecb1ab8bc567892.jpg

e25ec4194b0a797de9b4059f45a3a600.jpg

efb77a8aac8642d45d9af4d39b9ecb6c.jpg

c4f4e2a71cbacd81814b15a1cbd3c50f.jpg

d4a1f08910cc4045eabec3a784cf66c5.jpg

Then went into the Nomos AD, but was a bit disapointed with them. None of them seemed to sit properly and they all wore bigger than the dimensions would suggest, apart from the Metro which I quite liked.

b46fd1e383c26ede4e123102c528d8ea.jpg

530c8ac3764b25f7eaf43f138c71dd8b.jpg

Not sure which one I’m going to go for.

Shows the difference in where you stay. The Ernest Jones where I live, luxury department consists of Dreyfuss.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Some crackers there, my favourite being the Z-33, though it does look very high on the wrist. I still hanker after an original X-33.

It was very high on the wrist, but once it was on I didn’t notice it. It wore much smaller than I thought. 

Couldn’t believe how light it was. Then again, the proplov had just been on my wrist and that thing is a brute! 

7 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Talking of seeing things I wouldn't have thought I liked, this is nice :thumbsup:

I was surprised myself. It’s in the top two along with the other Cartier. 

Edited by Alan C

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Shows the difference in where you stay. The Ernest Jones where I live, luxury department consists of Dreyfuss.

Exactly this. Our local Woodley Goldsmiths altough not in the EJ league, only has Seiko and Citizen as its top ranges, though they are mostly dress style, with none of the sports style on offer and all quartz...not an auto amongst them...

12 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Have you got a particularly small wrist?  Many of these look too big for you in my opinion...some crqcking watches though.

I think it’s more the angles that I was taking them and the distance I had the phone from the watch. 

They all all looked like they fitted nicely when I was in there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrF-UK82 said:

Wow those Omega's look huge on your wrist man! :laugh:

How high does that Z33 sit on the wrist? It does look particularly higher than normal? 

It’s stupidly high, but as soon  as it’s was on my wrist it didn’t seen too tall. I have flat wrists, so maybe that helped. Saying that I’d be surprised if it wasn’t over 20mm tall. 

It it made my Speedy Mark II Look positively dainty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan C said:

It’s stupidly high, but as soon  as it’s was on my wrist it didn’t seen too tall. I have flat wrists, so maybe that helped. Saying that I’d be surprised if it wasn’t over 20mm tall. 

It it made my Speedy Mark II Look positively dainty.

I was thinking it was more metres than millimetres... :rofl:

• Haha 1

I think your photos are good. The lighting can make it difficult to get good shots in an AD. Square watches aren't for me, but the round dialled Cartier is stunning and my favourite of the bunch, followed by the Navy GO. I think you need to be honest with yourself about the Omega's, they are both big watches. Nomos is a brand that leaves me absolutely cold, so interested to hear from another that doesn't drool over them as demanded. 

Cartier's while not as intricate/ showy on the dial in the santos case ,  as the Glashuttes , simply Ouse class and get the :thumbsup: from me

deano

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Some crackers there, my favourite being the Z-33, though it does look very high on the wrist. I still hanker after an original X-33.

Yes me too, I really miss my X33

I like the Z33 but have trouble with red displays

Roger

Edited by Roger

1 hour ago, Roger said:

Yes me too, I really miss my X33

I like the Z33 but have trouble with red displays

Roger

Me too, I wish I had kept my X33 - I agree about the Z33 just a bit too much.

I do like the Skywalker X33 mind you

sp_skywalkerx33_x33_overview_960x720.jpg

3 hours ago, MrF-UK82 said:

I was thinking it was more metres than millimetres... :rofl:

The sales guy said they were omegas we’re lovely watches but I’d never wear them. He’s probably right. :clap:

2 hours ago, Caller. said:

I think your photos are good. The lighting can make it difficult to get good shots in an AD. Square watches aren't for me, but the round dialled Cartier is stunning and my favourite of the bunch, followed by the Navy GO. I think you need to be honest with yourself about the Omega's, they are both big watches. Nomos is a brand that leaves me absolutely cold, so interested to hear from another that doesn't drool over them as demanded. 

I tried a few of the Nomos watches on, starting with a club, then a tangente, both in various sizes I think. They just didn’t sit right on my wrist, which was probably to do with the absurdly large lugs that stick out from the case. The metro was the only one that came anywhere close to fitting me. 

However, for the near £3k that they wanted for it, I wasn’t impressed. :swoon:

57 minutes ago, JoT said:

Me too, I wish I had kept my X33 - I agree about the Z33 just a bit too much.

I do like the Skywalker X33 mind you

sp_skywalkerx33_x33_overview_960x720.jpg

Ooooo......now that’s nice. I’ve been watching X33’s for a while, but they all seem to go for far too much money for me.

• Like 2