Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
NOTSHARP

A Slight Makeover

Recommended Posts

I was setting the date on this:

420_MALKY_1.jpg

when the date wheel decided that it did not want to move. :(

So, a delve into the innards was needed.

Once I had the dial off, I thought it would be a shame not to try a different one. One thing lead to another, and this is the result.

 

 420_MALKY_MOD_6.jpg

 

420_MALKY_MOD_11.jpg

 

420_MALKY_MOD_10.jpg

 

420_MALKY_MOD_13.jpg

 

420_MALKY_MOD_20.jpg

 

The second hand needs a wee nip off the end, but, overall, I like it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Steve.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks stunningly good, @NOTSHARP. :thumbsup:

What a great dial and I love the colour of that bezeI, especially against the similar tone of leather in the strap. I do agree with you though that the seconds hand needs a tiny bit off the tip. Well done for that creation, Steve.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

That looks stunningly good, @NOTSHARP. :thumbsup:

What a great dial and I love the colour of that bezeI, especially against the similar tone of leather in the strap. I do agree with you though that the seconds hand needs a tiny bit off the tip. Well done for that creation, Steve.

 

Thank you for your kind comments. 

The dial was an interesting exercise. It has changed somewhat from its original state.

 

420_MALKY_MOD_ORIGINAL_DIAL.jpg

 

 

Steve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think I'd prefer a contrasting bezel to that strap. The colour coordination is just a bit too good, leaving the watch face to feel a bit small & lost, from what I can see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2018 at 18:04, DryEagle said:

Personally I think I'd prefer a contrasting bezel to that strap. The colour coordination is just a bit too good, leaving the watch face to feel a bit small & lost, from what I can see...

 

 

How about a black bezel?

 

 

MALKY_MOD_BLACK_BEZEL_1.jpg

 

 

MALKY_MOD_BLACK_BEZEL_4.jpg

 

 

 

 

Steve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOTSHARP said:

How about a black bezel?

That looks good. :thumbsup:

What's the knife ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please excuse my ignorance but how did you change the dial from the light colour to the darker colour. That dial is very atomic age isn’t it? and the darker colour really makes the lines stand out. Really like what you have done, hugely inspired to have a go at modding something and it will probably be a Vostok due to the price and amount of advice and info floating about on here.

 

Noj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Noj said:

Please excuse my ignorance but how did you change the dial from the light colour to the darker colour. That dial is very atomic age isn’t it? and the darker colour really makes the lines stand out. Really like what you have done, hugely inspired to have a go at modding something and it will probably be a Vostok due to the price and amount of advice and info floating about on here.

 

Noj

 

I spray painted the dial with black paint, then removed it from the areas where I wanted to see the original brass.

The idea was not mine, I have to say.

 

 

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NOTSHARP said:

 

I spray painted the dial with black paint, then removed it from the areas where I wanted to see the original brass.

The idea was not mine, I have to say.

 

 

Steve.

How did you remove it so accurately if you don’t mind me asking?

thanks

 

Noj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noj said:

How did you remove it so accurately if you don’t mind me asking?

thanks

 

Noj

 

 

Very carefully. :laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

 

Using tiny pieces of 1000 grit w&d, held in tweezers. It took a while. :whistle:

 

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...