Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
hughlle

Waterproof chrono reccomendation

Recommended Posts

Amd no, I'm not just thinking about a speedmaster etc. I need something damn rugged. 

Winter menus have come in at work, and a diver bezel no longer does the job. I'm after an auto if hand wind chrono that can handle being submerged in oil, heavy duty detergent etc. My SMP has proven a champ in the kitchen, but I'm not really a fan of the chrono models. They look odd. Just wondering if anyone knows of a model that can handle it all. Ideally I'd prefer something without screw down pushers (given my timing needs the apnea would actually prove perfect, if not the case size). If screw down pushers were a must, then it would still need to be capable of getting elbow deep with the pushers unscrewed. I know my speedmasters should survive such submersion, but am a little hesitant given I bash my watches around underwater, and would be a tad worried about water ingress through an accidental smash if a chrono button against the side if a sink etc. Something lien an omega rattrapante would be even better if it could record dual minutes. 

Am I just being naive in my needs? 

Edited by hughlle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Speedmaster is not waterproof... definately a no-no.

Chronos have more weaknesses to water than your typical 3 hander so to find a decent waterproof one may be tricky... I look forwards to reading the suggestions... I am thinking of a couple (Certina and Zenith but would have to check if they are up to it...not something I know off the top of my head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

The Speedmaster is not waterproof... definately a no-no.

Chronos have more weaknesses to water than your typical 3 hander so to find a decent waterproof one may be tricky... I look forwards to reading the suggestions... I am thinking of a couple (Certina and Zenith but would have to check if they are up to it...not something I know off the top of my head.

Waterproof may be the wrong term, water resistant would be better, but plenty of folk swim with the pro without issue, and the broad arrow is rated at 100m instead of the 50m of the Pro. But that's not with activating a pusher underwater, which I could not dismiss given my work. As I say, the apnea is a consideration, as I do like the styling, but maybe there is a cheaper alternative which isn't just a quartz job. 

Edited by hughlle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hughlle From the way you describe the usage you would have to have a chrono the manufacturer says can be operated under water (pushers have double seals or so I am told) and keep them well maintained, watches I am aware of include:

Breitling Avenger Seawolf chrono

Omega SMP chrono

UTS 600m Pro chrono

Doxa Sub300 TGraph (later versions)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hughlle said:

Amd no, I'm not just thinking about a speedmaster etc. I need something damn rugged. 

Winter menus have come in at work, and a diver bezel no longer does the job. I'm after an auto if hand wind chrono that can handle being submerged in oil, heavy duty detergent etc. My SMP has proven a champ in the kitchen, but I'm not really a fan of the chrono models. They look odd. Just wondering if anyone knows of a model that can handle it all. Ideally I'd prefer something without screw down pushers (given my timing needs the apnea would actually prove perfect, if not the case size). If screw down pushers were a must, then it would still need to be capable of getting elbow deep with the pushers unscrewed. I know my speedmasters should survive such submersion, but am a little hesitant given I bash my watches around underwater, and would be a tad worried about water ingress through an accidental smash if a chrono button against the side if a sink etc. Something lien an omega rattrapante would be even better if it could record dual minutes. 

Am I just being naive in my needs? 

If you need it for work then maybe you should get your boss to buy it or maybe go for a stopwatch on a neck strap for the timing as a watch covered in oil might be difficult to read - especially the sub dials.

Why would you need to activate the pusher underwater?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as you're a bit of an Omega fan boy what about a PO. 

soldier-21530465101002.png

I didn't like the bracelet on mine but there is no denying they are quality bits kit. 

:)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, richy176 said:

If you need it for work then maybe you should get your boss to buy it or maybe go for a stopwatch on a neck strap for the timing as a watch covered in oil might be difficult to read - especially the sub dials.

Why would you need to activate the pusher underwater?

I don't need a watch at all for work, but it makes everything a lot easier, amd it's an excuse to but a watch :D

And it isn't that I want to use it underwater, rather that the watch will frequently be underwater, covered in this and that, and don't want the risk of pushing a pusher and allowing ingress. So ideally not a screw down chrono as that would mean double checking every time I went near a sink etc. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Could be I'm just being unrealistic in my requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

The Speedmaster is not waterproof... definately a no-no.

Chronos have more weaknesses to water than your typical 3 hander so to find a decent waterproof one may be tricky... I look forwards to reading the suggestions... I am thinking of a couple (Certina and Zenith but would have to check if they are up to it...not something I know off the top of my head.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't swim or anything, in my Speedmaster! Its probably water resistant to a degree, but I have no need to get my hands wet at home when I have a perfectly good wife to wash my dishes... :shothead:

Regards

Mr F

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a chrono with screw down pushers, I believe generally the pushers should be screwed in for water resistance (you said "immersion" not splish and splash while say washing one's hands). I have an affordable Chenevard (Euro built with Chinese Valjoux 7750 clone) diver-chrono that was cheap, I'd be willing to let it go, it ticks those boxes. Chunky li'l devil, though. 

Something like this, if you DO happen to get water in it, it's no great loss. 

20100809-3027_chenevard_blackseal_br-sho

Edited by Chromejob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2018 at 23:36, Chromejob said:

Even a chrono with screw down pushers, I believe generally the pushers should be screwed in for water resistance (you said "immersion" not splish and splash while say washing one's hands). 

On some watches like the overseas chrono or the daytona you will find the screw in pushers only stop them being operated, they don't actually seal the pushers in the same way as a crown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rotundus said:

G shock if you really want a tool watch otherwise it's just jewelry

 

 

My SMP works great as a tool watch thanks. I'd just also like a chronograph that I can happily thrash around. Just because you consider it jewelery doesn't mean I do. 

The doxa looked like a very good candidate until I saw the size of the thing :(

I'll keep looking around, although the sea dweller is just about doing the job for now with the diver bezel. I love my SMP but the bezel is such a PITA to rotate!

Edited by hughlle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rotundus said:

G shock if you really want a tool watch otherwise it's just jewelry

 

 

Only thing with these, you need the manual every time. :laughing2dw:

s_2555_6bpJwjS3fteCz3UejsVh5LWWrgYrxhBla

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...