• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

Problem Sekonda Day of the Week Wheel and a Stiff Stopwatch Crown

Dear Simon @simon2, I wonder if there are ways to overcome two problems I have without me having to have these watches taken apart:

1) On my 26J hand-wind Sekonda wristwatch, there is a day/date window. The date function - operated by a small button on the side of the case - is fine. However, the day of the week feature has somehow become calibrated in such a way that as the next day rolls over, the day of the week wheel overshoots leaving a blank in the window, while the date is fine. I took it to a jeweller friend of mine and he said that although the dial might need to be removed in order to move the day of the week wheel ahead, there is a trick that sometimes works by manipulating the crown, without having to fiddle around inside the watch. If this is true then perhaps you could just tell me how to do it.

2) I have a Precista 7J stopwatch which appears to have been hardly used. It is a simple stopwatch where the crown also acts as the pusher for the timing mechanism. For some reason, the pusher function on the crown is so stiff that the crown doesn't spring back when you have pressed it down. I don't see any obvious reason why the stopwatch crown should be so stiff given the almost new look of the stopwatch. I just wonder if I can somehow loosen and lubricate the action of the crown mechanism without needing to take the watch apart.

I do thank you in advance for any wise words of advice on these two irritating problems. Hoipefully we can resolve at least one of them without recourse to a watch repairer.:)

The Sekonda day disc needs to be moved forward, by one tooth. It will involve removing the movement from the case. With the time set after 3am and before 8pm. Using a fine needle persuade the disc to rotate until a day appears, centrally in the day window.

The stopwatch sounds as though it is generally dry. It will require some disassembly. The stopwatch components and the stem / pendant need some oil and grease. A full service would be the best solution. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1