Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Alanjw

Went to an auction

Recommended Posts

Never been to an auction before but popped in our local one which was having a jewelry and collectables 2 day event.

Looked through the online brochure and spotted this Invicta which caught my eye. Turned up early to have a look, boxed with paperwork all links still fitted and totally unmarked, looked unworn!

So I registered and ended up with it! Well pleased. USA made case with a Seiko movement, very heavy with bracelet links from solid.

Not heard of Invicta before but I am very impressed.

IMG_20180911_095520232.jpg

IMG_20180911_095342431.jpg

Alan

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alanjw said:

Not heard of Invicta before but I am very impressed.

Always interesting to hear a fresh no preconceptions opinion on Invicta. Well known brand and the basic auto pro divers like the one you have there are actually thoroughly decent watches for the money. Unfortunately the brand gets a lot of negativity as they make some real eye wateringly ugly beasts too (take what you've got there, double the diameter, triple the thickness, put a canteen crown on and gold plate it sort of thing) and have a habit of churning out watches in the £80-£100 range which all claim RRP values about 5x what they sell for to dupe unsuspecting QVC shoppers. That aside the watch you've got there (I've got a similar quartz model) is a good 'un.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Unfortunately the brand gets a lot of negativity

2 minutes ago, gimli said:

Next time come back with an Omega! :angry:

See what I mean:wink:

Now if your first experience of Invicta is the one you bought - positive feelings:thumbsup:

If however your first experience looks like this:

hHT1BUWECrpNemWShD6amAnhFLA_590_661-W590

.........ummm, not so much:swoon:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

If however your first experience looks like this:

  hHT1BUWECrpNemWShD6amAnhFLA_590_661-W590

That looks like a cake.:happybday:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Remind me to give your local bakery the swerve:tongue:

You could always go to my butcher for a mince round. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to confess I recently bought an Invicta chrono which was a blatant Rolex Cosmograph rip-off.

They get a bad rep, but sticking to their price point (firmly sub-£100), then I reckon you get a lot of watch for your money.

Anyway, as long as you like it that's the main thing. ;)

 

Kev

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey, you went to a auction for the first time and came away with something you wanted at a price you were happy to pay  bonus in my book, I have yet to attend a live auction let alone buy something so good on yer.

deano

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey! Did a bit of you tubing on Invicta and yes they do make some horrors, unbelievable horrors.

As I said I had never heard of the brand but looking through at the movement which suggested the company goes back to 1837 I thought they must have some idea what their doing!

All things considered, I am still happy with my 'win'!

 

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kevkojak said:

I have to confess I recently bought an Invicta chrono which was a blatant Rolex Cosmograph rip-off.

Yup, got one of those too: Really nice watch for what it is, but I don't wear it as often as I might because I always get this uneasy "I hope nobody notices what it is" feeling when it's on. The Invicta curse:(

aMFD1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Yup, got one of those too: Really nice watch for what it is, but I don't wear it as often as I might because I always get this uneasy "I hope nobody notices what it is" feeling when it's on. The Invicta curse:(

Not sure I understand your thinking there mate.  If you like it, why would you give a toss what anyone else thinks, and especially people you don't even know?  Today I am wearing a 10 Euro quartz watch from Lidl which looks like it is loosely based on a Rolex Submariner design.  Am I ashamed of it?  No.  And would I get an uneasy feeling if someone else saw it?  No, of course not, it's just a watch (and an extremely accurate timekeeper as well, which came as a great surprise :laughing2dw:).

For what it's worth, I think Invicta make some nice watches, and I quite like most of the ones shown on this thread so far.  Not the blue and gold one, obviously, that's bloody horrific (:scared:), but the rest are OK anyway :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Invicta are great watches for the money especially the autos that run the nh35 movement I have a few and love them . 

IMG_20170628_104904_edit_1498643359460_z

This one I replaced the dial and hands numerous times 

IMG_20170728_112215489.jpg

I also own a couple of quartz. 

Edited by jsud2002
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Davey P said:

Not sure I understand your thinking there mate.  If you like it, why would you give a toss what anyone else thinks, and especially people you don't even know?  Today I am wearing a 10 Euro quartz watch from Lidl which looks like it is loosely based on a Rolex Submariner design.  Am I ashamed of it?  No.  And would I get an uneasy feeling if someone else saw it?  No, of course not, it's just a watch (and an extremely accurate timekeeper as well, which came as a great surprise :laughing2dw:).

For what it's worth, I think Invicta make some nice watches, and I quite like most of the ones shown on this thread so far.  Not the blue and gold one, obviously, that's bloody horrific (:scared:), but the rest are OK anyway :tongue:

Well put it this way - on the cruise I went on earlier in the year I was faced with this table full of watches including a sea of Invictas:

8LQtyT.jpg

..and all the Invictas were priced up with massive reductions of around 75% from their stupid RRP (which still left them more expensive than they usually are) and the vast majority were tasteless tat I wouldn't look twice at other than to have a good old laugh at how dreadful they were. So sadly when I've got an Invicta on my wrist I can look at that particular watch and appreciate that the quality is really nice for the (actual) price, and it's a handsome looking thing (thanks to Rolex obviously) but....that baggage is also there in the back of my  mind too:(

Got a couple of Stuhrlings too actually but for some reason I don't feel as bad about those - not necessarily logical but there you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on a couple of cruises and they have had 'jewelry' sales and they were laid out just like your photo. Always had a look but the names never meant anything to me and as for the prices!

Must have seen the likes of Invicta - how could you miss those yellow boxes!

Anyway still very happy with mine (which has even been admired) and is currently running at just under a second a day - well pleased.

 

Alan

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alanjw said:

Anyway still very happy with mine (which has even been admired) and is currently running at just under a second a day - well pleased.

..and that's the important bit. You can rest easy in the knowledge that you have the discerning buyers Invicta there anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...