• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Bonzodog

Battery for Marathon

:swoon:

Unless it's a car battery, I'd say that was a tad on the high side.... :laugh:  But what do I know, I'm sat firmly in the cheap seats and wouldn't dream of spending more than a couple of quid on a battery change that I can do myself in under 2 mins... :whistle:

Probably worth contacting @simon2 who will almost certainly be able to do that for you for less than 80 squid.

Battery, new seals and pressure test from a respected watchsmith in London costs about £15 so unless your man is replacing the movement at the same time, then it's still too much.

24 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Battery, new seals and pressure test from a respected watchsmith in London costs about £15 so unless your man is replacing the movement at the same time, then it's still too much.

Kin ell:jawdrop1:

Have a quick look on youtube if you haven't done it before - it's usually a pretty easy job and I did my Tag F1 in about five mins the first time I tried so sure you'll be fine.

29 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Have a quick look on youtube if you haven't done it before - it's usually a pretty easy job and I did my Tag F1 in about five mins the first time I tried so sure you'll be fine.

Yes ,done the YouTube thing,bought the tools and grease ,fingers crossed I don’t fluff it up.

• Like 1

Just changed it,battery is a 371,there is a wavy ring on top of a black plastic cover,easy job and saved a chunk of cash towards my next watch:character0275:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

Just changed it,battery is a 371,there is a wavy ring on top of a black plastic cover,easy job and saved a chunk of cash towards my next watch:character0275:

Nice one, well done mate.  It's a satisfying feeling saving so much money for such a simple job, and of course your attitude about what to do with the left over dosh is spot-on :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

Another convert to the ranks of members who do their own battery changes, excellent stuff! :thumbs_up:

I've been changing batteries for years, but I remember the first time I did one on a Bulova Precisionist that had (unusually for such a quality watch) a snap-on case back.  I was half tempted to take it to a jeweller's, just in case I buggered it up.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought a basic case back closer with plastic dies (about 12 quid I think) to safely refit the case back, and went for it.  I didn't need to worry, it took about two minutes and was no more complicated that any other watch :tongue:  Although I must admit I was quite nervous because the crystal had an extraordinary curvature to it, and could easily have been damaged if the die was the wrong size.

Here's the case back closer I've got:

20151125_165236

And here's a pic of the curved crystal:

20151125_165639

The die just needed to fit outside of the glass area and rest on the sides of the metal case - but it was still a nerve wracking moment when it "popped" on! :laughing2dw:

This thread has reminded me, I need to have a session of battery changes, I've current got EIGHT that need changing... :whistling:

• Thanks 1