• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
oldbadger

Breitling ran slow...... and then stopped working. ??

Dear members,

Hello from a new member.

My friend has a Breitling 1884, 20 chronometre certifie, 2000m watch. It has an automatic mechanical movement.

He bought this watch circa 2005 and in about 2008 it began running slowly and then stopped.  It has lain in a drawer since then (!) until he showed it to me this week.

A strange thing about it, when I rotated the watch back and forth in my hand and then looked at the hands, the second hand was running backwards for about 5 seconds!  I repeated this action again and the second hand ran backwards for a few seconds, again.

Does anybody have any clues about what happened to this watch for it to behave like this?  I have suggested that he take it for repair because it is a lovely watch, but I think he is frightened about possible repair bills.

I would love to hear from any members,

Thankyou.

Oldbadger

• Like 1

Sounds like some sort of mechanical failure eg if the watch was dropped or received a severe knock.  I'd recommend sending to Simon (see the 'Watchmaking and Repairs' pages, link below) who can take a look and give your friend an estimate - he's very good and very reasonable.

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/forum/13-watchmaking-and-repairs/

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a blockage, high up in the gear train. No power from the barrel. leaving the train wheels to move in either direction. The watch should be serviced. I would have to see it first. hope this helps. Regards simon.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, simon2 said:

Sounds like a blockage, high up in the gear train. No power from the barrel. leaving the train wheels to move in either direction. The watch should be serviced. I would have to see it first. hope this helps. Regards simon.

Thankyou very much for your suggestions and offer of help.

I will show your post to me friend, and let's see if he will finally do something with it. 

Thankyou again