• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

150 watches stolen from thewatchcollector.co.uk

I have had it confirmed from the owner of the website that some scumbag(s) broke into his premises and stole 150 watches.  Now I have no personal or business connection with that website, and should really think of them as competitors, but if that happened to me I would want the community to rally around.

So if you hear of any watches trying to be offloaded, contact Tony on 07767 668363‬.  He is based in the Glossop area, and if I get any more details like descriptions or (as I have suggested) a dedicated webpage showing what is stolen I will add it to this post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

150 watches - easy to steal and sell. I will only wear a decent watch with a long sleeved shirt these days and not at all if i am going into central London 

Wow what a lift. I wonder if they were in a safe or out in the open? Or possibly the case where he has been demanded by threats to give them. Hindsight , but seperate safes in separate areas could have broke the haul down a little. Hopefully they have been cataloged with serial numbers etc. Hope we hear some good outcome, I hate thieving scrotes.

Gosh. I was looking at a watch of their's on eBay, recently. I sincerely hope it is not one of those that had been stolen as it was an absolutely irreplaceable prototype.

In the mid 1970s Omega launched their famous 2.4 MHz marine chronometer. This particular watch that they had was a unique prototype of that watch and it would have fitted into my collection perfectly.

The thing I found strange was that for a watch that was repeatedly relisted due to a failure to sell, instead of lowering the asking price they increased it by about £3,000. Just going by the values of other MHz-range Omega prototypes from the same era that have sold in recent years, I would have to say that the original asking price of roughly £7,000 was already about £5,000 too high.

Still, if someone in this crazy, overheated market ever would pay that much then I guess thewatchcollector.co.uk would be laughing all the way to the bank. And in that case I might look to sell my prototype Omega 4.2 MHz watch (which was due to be the sequel to the 2.4 MHz watch until the project was cancelled).

1 hour ago, MrF-UK82 said:

Sickens me to hear of crimes like this. I hope they find the thieving and they are punished accordingly! 

I agree , the thieves are nothing but parasites .

There sure seem to be a lot of home robberies over there. This is why it's not a good idea to go soft on crime and criminals.

To be honest I don't think that it was a good idea for him to hold his watches in his house given that he is a well known seller and collector.

Without a doubt the person or people that did the hit knew who's house they were going into.

Sad to hear this. Those watches will probably never be found and they'll be sold throughout the world or just the UK to various individuals. Maybe even for a better price since the thieves have to get rid of them fast.

36 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Rather concerning to see that they had 10,000 stolen watches added to the list in 12 months but only about 100 recovered because of the list. 

@gimli 

10,000 watches allegedly stolen

Population of the UK 65/70 million. 

Whilst it does happen in the overall scheme of things the chances of being rolled over for your watch are still fairly slim. 

:whistle:

25 minutes ago, gimli said:

To be honest I don't think that it was a good idea for him to hold his watches in his house given that he is a well known seller and collector.

As I've said before, some put far too much, unintentionally, on the net. Criminals are not stupid, it is their job.

Well I can understand the guy "putting it" on the internet since he is a seller and a collector and god knows what else so it's inevitable to have some bits of information about him released on the internet. Many people knew him, probably, Not all customers. Word gets around.

But yeah I do understand what you're saying. If I had a large trove of very expensive watches and I lived in a house I'd probably seek to have as little information left out as possible from the "public" eye.

19 hours ago, chas g said:

150 watches - easy to steal and sell. I will only wear a decent watch with a long sleeved shirt these days and not at all if i am going into central London 

If I was that worried about having my watch stolen then I would not bother wearing one. The chances of being mugged are very small unless you venture into a very dodgy area and why would you want to go there?

4 minutes ago, gimli said:

Well I can understand the guy "putting it" on the internet since he is a seller and a collector and god knows what else so it's inevitable to have some bits of information about him released on the internet. Many people knew him, probably, Not all customers. Word gets around.

But yeah I do understand what you're saying. If I had a large trove of very expensive watches and I lived in a house I'd probably seek to have as little information left out as possible from the "public" eye.

It is possible, and wise, to keep them in a secure location, perhaps not at your home address. In an ideal world, crime should not happen, but I'd does, and unfortunately the innocent have to take steps to reduce the likelihood of becoming victims. Showing off your collection with photographs, showing your name, listing where you really live, and then broadcasting on an open forum that you 're off on holiday for a fortnight isn't very clever. 

6 minutes ago, gimli said:

Which is why my registered address is at my accountants, and the vast majority of my watches are stored off site.  It still wouldn't be difficult to find my address, and I like anyone else wouldn't want the crim's to come here.  Alarms, CCTV and a Dog wouldn't put hardened criminals off though and I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry a little.  Luckily most of my watches are of a lower value to make them hard work to sell on, and I deliberately stay away from the tempting Rolex sports models.

I don't worry about being mugged for a watch though - I'm a fairly big unit and there are softer targets out there!  

35 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

@gimli 

10,000 watches allegedly stolen

Population of the UK 65/70 million. 

Whilst it does happen in the overall scheme of things the chances of being rolled over for your watch are still fairly slim. 

:whistle:

Slimmer than an anorexic chain smoker I'd say

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

..but you live in a cave, under a mountain? So not a problem:thumbsup:

I live in an apartment block as opposed to a house which has different characteristics. From what I noticed burglars usually break into houses, not apartment blocks. Here in Romania more thefts happen in houses than in apartment blocks. For a house you just have to jump the fence, smash a window and that's it.

I myself still would find it difficult to wear a luxury watch, especially one with a famous brand name, unless accompanied because of my epilepsy - I won't ever forget being mugged while having a seizure in a McDonalds even though it was a long time ago.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, richy176 said:

If I was that worried about having my watch stolen then I would not bother wearing one. The chances of being mugged are very small unless you venture into a very dodgy area and why would you want to go there?

By dodgy areas you mean like - hammersmith, south kensington,knightsbridge,mayfair,bond street, the tube?

2 hours ago, richy176 said:

Happy to wear my cartier roadster and franck muller almost anywhere i am likely to go but not my rolex gmt2. I will almost certainly sell the rolex at some point if i find something else less obvious

12 hours ago, chas g said:

By dodgy areas you mean like - hammersmith, south kensington,knightsbridge,mayfair,bond street, the tube?

I would not be in the least concerned wearing a decent watch in any of those areas. The chance of being robbed is minute compared to the number of people there - also lots of gold, diamonds etc being worn worth more than your GMT. 

19 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I won't ever forget being mugged while having a seizure in a McDonalds even though it was a long time ago.

Seriously?! What an awful experience that must have been.. I worry about the state of this world sometimes, I honestly do

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Seriously?! What an awful experience that must have been.. I worry about the state of this world sometimes, I honestly do

Although it wouldnt take away the grief, if we knew that culprits who are caught would get proper punishment it would give a semblance of satisfaction at least.Sadly we live in a country governed by spineless cowards and idiots, with more in waiting! 

• Like 1

Just had a look on the website, the damage is crazy. I hope he had great insurance.  Apparently the police are not interested, must rather catch somebody with a side light out or going 33 mph in a 30. But I have to be honest, the watches should have been better sectioned off. So many watches in one safe and were talking 2k plus watches some above 5k. This is somebody that has scoped the place out , maybe he should review cctv of the last few people on the premises, could be closer to home maybe than he thinks.