• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mrzee

Do You Have a Type?

What is the accepted definition of "dress watch" on this forum?

I've seen some purists maintain that it is a strict "two-hander" (i.e. no seconds or complications of any kind) on a black leather strap, whilst others seem to use it to mean anything other than a hardcore diver :swoon:

Yours

Bamboozled of Suffolk

• Like 2

Predominantly Movados here with a few others thrown in for good measure. The vast majority are from the 1950s and 1960s so 'mid century modern' would be my preferred style. I also try to stick to stainless steel cased watches as they tend to be in better overall condition than plated ones! (Well with the exception of my corroded through Movado... :( )

Edited by rubbatiti
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, yokel said:

I've seen some purists maintain that it is a strict "two-hander" (i.e. no seconds or complications of any kind) on a black leather strap, whilst others seem to use it to mean anything other than a hardcore diver :swoon:

Yours

Bamboozled of Suffolk

Googled 'Dress watch' and this is what came up......:rolleyes:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dress+watch&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB794GB794&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwooKM7sfdAhUJC8AKHbURC9EQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=943

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

So, anything without a rotating bezel! From Saxonia 37 to Big Bang?

• Haha 1

Interesting though  --  that definition must encompass over 80% of all watches.

Logic dictates then that the minority must be "undress watches".

@yokel isnt a dress watch supposed to be slimline (to fit nicely under the cuff), simple uncluttered dial ideally with no complications and probably a black leather strap? Perhaps that’s just how I perceive them.

By the way, fully aware that a stylish diver I.e. Seamaster, Submariner, etc. is acceptable these days.

11 hours ago, mrzee said:

a stylish diver

I may have been converted* to the idea that a sensible fellow who does not immerse himself in water much might be seen wearing a "diver"  --  but I still regard that phrase as an oxymoron :tongue:  (with the possible exception of the Bathyscaphe :yes: ).

* A conversion in no way helped by Mr Richard Hammond.

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 1

Dress watch is an invented term. Years ago, most watches were in effect, dress watches. I have seen more ridiculous and pretentious threads about how a dress watch should be defined than anything else - size and height, hands, colour of hands, ss or gold case, dial colour, simplicity of dial, 2 hands, 3 hands, seconds dial, strap colour, bracelet or not and so on. Drove me nuts. Best avoided! :biggrin:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB794GB794&biw=1280&bih=603&ei=w2GjW5ilDcng0gKh8YawDg&q=what+is+a+dress+watch&oq=what+is+a+dress+watch&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1l3j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1l4.7785.13119.0.13973.32.20.0.0.0.0.465.3318.2-5j3j2.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..27.2.756...0i7i30k1.0.Dxtfo7Mi87Y

None of this nonsense with a diver!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Caller. said:

None of this nonsense with a diver!

That's like saying that, providing you only beat cornish pasties, you don't need to worry about "foreign food" :clap:

It would seem that "dress watch" is an indefinable (and therefore non-) category.  So, there are divers, Flieger, marines, chronos and . . . . . . . "watches"!

I obviously prefer "watches" :ooops:

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yokel said:

4 minutes ago, yokel said:

It would seem that "dress watch" is an indefinable (and therefore non-) category.  So, there are dress divers, dress Flieger,dress marines,dress chronos etc etc.

an easy fix really. :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, yokel said:

Yours

Bamboozled of Suffolk

I'd probably not have gone so far as to insist on two hands but in my lexicon, a 'dress watch' is one that would look out of place unless worn with at least a suit and preferably black tie+.

So by my definition I have one dress watch (even then it depends on strap choice) or by others at least 50% of my collection come under that heading. Probably not the most useful term then!

FWIW I can't really put my finger on my 'type', other than 'something that I find interesting'. I don't find many divers to be all that interesting!

• Like 2

OK

Having thought about this (and the question of type, as per OP), I'm now mentally dividing mine into four categories: "formal" (jacket and tie), "informal" (slacks), "casual" (jeans) and "theme" (divers, Flieger).

I can now answer the original question: I'm an informal/casual sort of collector :clap:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davey P said:

That doesn't mean the innards can't be swapped for something better and more efficient mate...

You`re such as philistine, Davey!!! :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

You`re such as philistine, Davey!!! :laugh: 

Ha ha, that's part of my charm mate! :rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I think you need to send round the 'correction' team, Mach...large.593b0baa6c88a_Whippingsmiley_zpsookr5mre.GIF.a8d2a3efab6b60d2d54e0f38fb5a94ba.GIF

I have alerted them & a member  will be paying Davey a visit shortly....

Image result for torturer

:laugh:

2 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I have alerted them & a member  will be paying Davey a visit shortly....

Everyone is welcome at Davey Towers mate, that goes without saying :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, luddite said:

Anything unusual, not the humdrum kind of thing that that can be found on any wrist down the pub. 

Concur absolutely  --  a fine principle.