• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger the Dodger

The magic expanding gasket.

Last night, I had to change the battery in my Seiko Sawtooth. On opening the back, there was a little crud that had worked its way under the edge of the caseback, so I decided to wipe it away with a Q tip. Before doing this, I carefully removed the rubber O ring/gasket from its groove in order to do a proper clean up job. When I  came to refit the ring in its groove, I found that it had magically grown by about an eighth of an inch, and wouldn't fit back in without a loop of it still sticking out. I had been very careful not to stretch it when I took it out, so I was a bit baffled. I even put it in the freezer for a few minutes in the hope that it would shrink back, but to no avail. Thoughts of having to order a new one started running through my mind as I decided to have one more go at it. Finally, by easing the ring in a bit at a time and holding what was already in place down tightly, the ring slipped back in. Has anyone else ever come across this strange phenomenon?

this thing happens with "o  rings"  all  the time,  not only in watches,  in industry.  the answer - Chineezium  ruber or the wrong ruber formula.  (google spell check no longer works).   vin

The exact same has happened on a gshock I've been looking at yesterday, but no matter how much I try I can't get the o ring to fit. Time to order a new one I think.

4 hours ago, Littlelegs said:

The exact same has happened on a gshock I've been looking at yesterday, but no matter how much I try I can't get the o ring to fit. Time to order a new one I think.

if you put grease on the "o ring",    that is another problem - which lube to use.    a couple new ones on hand is another route.

• Like 1