• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Advice needed please re buying new watch

Yanto

Hi all. I’m looking at retiring fairly soon and would like to buy myself a new watch as a treat! I suppose I’m looking at a bit of an all rounder as I’d wear it most days. I’m thinking it doesn’t have to be waterproof to large depths as I don’t dive and wouldn’t swim with it on. Budget would be up to £4K. 
Models I’ve looked at online are Rolex Explorer, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, Montblanc Timewalker, Oris Propilot Worldwide and Longines Avigation Big Eye. 
I’m totally new to the world of more expensive watches so all advice is welcome. I currently have a TAG Aquaracer as my daily watch. I do appreciate that I need to go and actually try on these models. But was wondering if people own these here and what their general impressions are?
Thanks in advance

Hi Yanto!

Omega Globemaster annual calendar? Silver pan pie dial, blue script, blue strap. I bought mine for 4K preowned. 1 month old in perfect condition. 

Is tough, can dress it up or down, exhibition case back, value for money and looks incredible in the flesh. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yanto said:

Hi all. I’m looking at retiring fairly soon and would like to buy myself a new watch as a treat! I suppose I’m looking at a bit of an all rounder as I’d wear it most days. I’m thinking it doesn’t have to be waterproof to large depths as I don’t dive and wouldn’t swim with it on. Budget would be up to £4K. 
Models I’ve looked at online are Rolex Explorer, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, Montblanc Timewalker, Oris Propilot Worldwide and Longines Avigation Big Eye. 
I’m totally new to the world of more expensive watches so all advice is welcome. I currently have a TAG Aquaracer as my daily watch. I do appreciate that I need to go and actually try on these models. But was wondering if people own these here and what their general impressions are?
Thanks in advance

Maybe consider looking at Ball watches although a lesser known brand to some maybe not on par with Rolex or Omega but the build quality is up there in my opinion with some of the high end brands and if you shop around the prices can be great value maybe a brand to consider at reasonable prices  

Edited by Slim2500
  • Thanks 1

I would also suggest to take a look at Breitling (like Navitimer if you like simpler faces). I am personally biased toward Omega vs Rolex, I think Aqua Terra looks amazing and It's been working very well for me. 

My understanding is the build quality of Rolex, Omega (or Breitling for that matter) are good enough that you don't need to worry about that.

Also, take your time and enjoy the selection time. If you go to shops that actually care about watch (vs seeing them as jewelry) you will find very interesting people (like this forum!) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yanto said:

I do appreciate that I need to go and actually try on these models. 

I can't help with your decision, these watches are quite a bit above my pay grade.  However, with a budget of £4K I'd suggest you definitely do need to try them all on before buying, to see which looks and feels best on the wrist.  No point having an expensive watch that looks great in pictures, but feels all wrong, or is too big/small/heavy/uncomfortable etc.

My personal choice from your list would be the Omega, but my gut feeling is that you'll go for the Rolex in the end.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I can't help with your decision, these watches are quite a bit above my pay grade.  However, with a budget of £4K I'd suggest you definitely do need to try them all on before buying, to see which looks and feels best on the wrist.  No point having an expensive watch that looks great in pictures, but feels all wrong, or is too big/small/heavy/uncomfortable etc.

My personal choice from your list would be the Omega, but my gut feeling is that you'll go for the Rolex in the end.

Davey

To be honest, I wouldn’t normally spend this much. But you only retire once (hopefully). At present, my most expensive watch is my TAG Aquaracer at half of the budget I have available for the next watch

Also, if I find a model I really like for well under budget, then I won’t spend the full £4k

I totally agree that I have to go in and try all models on before buying. I won’t be buying blind.

Ian

@Yanto As a starting point I would go on Chrono24 and use their `advanced search' option where you can filter all the watches by e.g. price range, automatic, quartz, new/unused, box, papers and a few more. Then spend some time looking at what is on offer that catches your eye and come back with the ones that appeal the most.

If you live anywhere within range of one of the Tag outlet stores then they are worth a visit as they also usually have some Zeniths available and often at 40% off rrp and still with the full manufacturer guarantee.

Edited by richy176

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

@Yanto As ca starting point I would go on Chrono24 and use their `advanced search' option where you can filter all the watches by e.g. price range, automatic, quartz, new/unused, box, papers and a few more. Then spend some time looking at what is on offer that catches your eye and come back with the ones that appeal the most.

If you live anywhere within range of one of the Tag outlet stores then they are worth a visit as they also usually have some Zeniths available and often at 40% off rrp and still with the full manufacturer guarantee.

Great advice. Thanks very much 

29 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Sod that, who cares what anyone else thinks.  Plenty of nice Mercedes convertibles on the market for around £3K, and it doesn't get more "old man's motor" than that :laughing2dw:

I paid just over that for my CL500 recently, and it passed the MOT this week first time:clap:.  I must admit I was nervous though, and I don't car if it looks like an old mans car

2018-07-26_08-49-49

But back to the question, and I would be looking at Zenith watches at this price bracket

• Like 1

Wouldn’t class any of those things as making a watch particularly special as there’s a million other Watches’s out there that are similar.  Though I do agree that the explorer has all those attributes.  Just doesn’t do it for me personally.

can I assume you have one?