• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Boots

Eterna 1000

I'm new to this watch hobby, but I thought I would post some pics of a recent purchase. I believe this Eterna-matic 1000 is 1968. It keeps excellent time, though it looks like it could do with a bit of a service (there are some little orange flecks when you look closely, but I do not believe they are rust). The crystal and crown both have the Eterna logo. The power reserve seems much lower than the original 40-odd hours quoted, more like 20. The patina on the dial is less intrusive, and more attractive (IMHO) than it appears in the pictures.

It came with a Speidel metal strap, but I thought it would look better on a leather strap.

If anyone can tell me any more about this watch, I'd love to hear it. Sorry for having photographed it at about 12, so the logo is obscured!

2lkwxfa.jpg

154zsci.jpg

2igzm0l.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dear @Boots, Eterna is a well-known name in the annals of Swiss watchmaking history and the origins are back in the mid-19th century. I suggest you use the Forum search facility and Google to find out more about the firm and its history. Your own Eterna is based around the Eterna-Matic movement developed n 1948 as an improved self-winding mechanism using five strategically placed ball bearings in order to reduce friction and resistance on the oscillating weight that wound the watch. The effect was to make the movement more efficient and reduce the wear and tear on internal components.

The development of the Eterna-Matic movement was one of a number of innovations by Eterna, and you will notice that in addition to the wording on your watch dial, there is a five-dot logo which relates to the five ball bearings used in the movement. Your own example is difficult to date exactly but your belief that the watch dates to 1968 is probably about right. I feel sure that a good service would certainly increase the power reserve and may I refer you to the Forum's own Simon2 for technical advice and assistance. He might also know if the dial could be gently cleaned up a bit, if you feel the desire to do that.

• Like 1

A quick word on the dial. Leave it as it is, it won't clean up. I think the paint used on Eterna watches of this period was unstable. I have one that has aged in a similar way. Not unattractive to be honest. Some Omega dials of the same period suffered in similar ways, particularly the Cosmic range.

Fabulous movements too.

Cheers

Foggy

• Thanks 2