• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What are your thoughts on Audemars Piguet watches?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

37mm would do me fine.

yes

I'm not a massive fan to be honest but I'd certainly wear a Royal Oak Chrono.

Yes, and I do.

If you think they are odd shaped and too flashy I am presuming it is the Royal Oak range you don't like?  Plenty of others that they make, and they can make excellent second hand purchases (as people who want an AP normally want a Royal Oak, so demand is less for the other ranges).  A bit like Rolex Celleni in that respect.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Yes, and I do.

If you think they are odd shaped and too flashy I am presuming it is the Royal Oak range you don't like?  Plenty of others that they make, and they can make excellent second hand purchases (as people who want an AP normally want a Royal Oak, so demand is less for the other ranges).  A bit like Rolex Celleni in that respect.

Yes sorry, I am mainly talking about the Royal Oak range. I quite like the Jules Audemars Chronograph. 

I would accept critisism of some of their offerings (oversized and over the top) but a classic Royal Oak is neither flashy nor ostentatious and is a corker from every perspective.

It is slim and comfortable and on a great bracelet.  They hold their money well and are easy to sell.  They go with anything you are wearing.  The dials are super as are the general finishing.   

The only negative I can give is service costs are very high if you are silly enough to use AP.  (A good independant should be fine in most cases)

As to other models there are some beautiful complications etc.  While I appreciate these I couldn't recommend as they seem to be a bit of a liability should they have any issues or if you need to resell they could cost you a pretty penny.   The staple Royal Oak however is very hard to go wrong with.

• Like 2

Yes, and I do too  —  but not the RO, which I think is a bit of a knuckle duster . . .

2EbFZtD.jpg

I’ll echo Daveyboyz’ point about service cost though. I sent this back to AP last year and got a bill for over £1500.

• Like 2

Not a huge fan of the steel Royal Oak, nor the bracelet, but I was extremely close to buying the rose gold with black leather strap a few months back. Wife persuaded me to buy something else. Still not sure it was the right decision. Royal oaks definitely have a presence, regardless if you like the styling or not 

11 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

No doubt excellent watches but I`ve not seen one that appeals to me :thumbdown:

Have to agreed with that.  No doubt very well made, but way too flashy for me - none of their offerings floats my boat (and well outside my price point anyway :biggrin:).  And I've never liked the name; can't think of anything but piglets on Mars ('Over On Mars are Piglets') :yes::laughing2dw:  Sorry, but it just puts me off!

This reminds me that I must make a post about AP's exhibition in Bkk, when over 50 watches were shipped over from their Swiss museum. I agree the original and subsequent non chrono and some less flashy chronos are spot on, but some are not for me. 

Good to see a couple of Arnies watches in the flesh though. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Caller. said:

This reminds me that I must make a post about AP's exhibition in Bkk, when over 50 watches were shipped over from their Swiss museum. I agree the original and subsequent non chrono and some less flashy chronos are spot on, but some are not for me. 

Good to see a couple of Arnies watches in the flesh though. 

Your in BKK? I was there a few weeks ago, settling down in Kalasin area now!

I love my AP's. They feel special the wrist and despite not having in house movements they did experiment with new materials. I have the original forged carbon diver and the titanium ROO. Was weary of spending so much on fancy cases and a rubber strap but on the wrist they wear very comfortably. Once I get the photos to work I'll upload them. 

Would I take AP over Hublot or dare I say it Rolex? They make sense as part of a collection but as a one and only watch I'd say Rolex divers are more versatile. If you want something thats more in your face then you have Hublot.

Patek is the dream and the only brand I'd place above AP at the moment. Just wish the prices for the Nautilus were more reasonable.

32025753_639563443061257_656375042398591

31429801_2099784746934851_20459273853494

On 08/10/2018 at 08:52, Acsii said:

Would you ever wear one?

Royal Oak 41mm Self Winding - yes I would and have thought about selling up the collection and buying one - walking around with £16k on your wrist? Still haven't got over this hurdle

35502_233_ap15400blk2.jpg

10 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Your in BKK? I was there a few weeks ago, settling down in Kalasin area now!

Mainly in Hua Hin but my other half's head office is in Bkk, so she rents a condo here - here being where I am at the moment. But up in Khon Kaen the weekend after next, so not far from Kalasin. Are you living over here now?

36 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Mainly in Hua Hin but my other half's head office is in Bkk, so she rents a condo here - here being where I am at the moment. But up in Khon Kaen the weekend after next, so not far from Kalasin. Are you living over here now?

I'm here for the foreseeable future after leaving the UK. Going to Khon Kaen tomorrow now you mention it for some clothes shopping (supercar parking is fun in central plaza!) as the villages around here are sparse for anything other than street food, market stalls, wild dogs and mosquitos.

Just Googled Hua Hin, the southern parts of Thailand are supposed to be amazing. You must love it down there (am envious!).

We'll have to meet up if your in Khon Kaen that weekend!

25 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

I'm here for the foreseeable future after leaving the UK. Going to Khon Kaen tomorrow now you mention it for some clothes shopping (supercar parking is fun in central plaza!) as the villages around here are sparse for anything other than street food, market stalls, wild dogs and mosquitos.

Just Googled Hua Hin, the southern parts of Thailand are supposed to be amazing. You must love it down there (am envious!).

We'll have to meet up if your in Khon Kaen that weekend!

Sounds good, I'll pm you when I know what's actually happening.

• Like 1

A couple of the AP range are quite nice but for me most are utterly awful.  The problem I see with them is some of their nicer stuff gets lost amongst the Invicta looking ones and for the buyer there are plenty of other options often at more competitive prices to choose from.  Add to that the price of the classic royal oak going out of control, the horror stories about service costs they dont make for good reading.

• Like 1

I have not seen one `in the flesh' which makes it difficult to comment. On the plus side, Stanislas Wawrinka does wear an AP whilst playing top level tennis whilst the Rolex sponsored players only wear their ones for the photo ops!

The three hand Royal Oak with blue dial is one that I would be happy to own (funds no problem). Some of the other models do not appeal but I have nor come across any brand that has every model in my `love/dislike' category.

• 6 months later...