• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
MrF-UK82

The Usual eBay Suspects??

Morning all. I hope you are all well.

I couldn't help but share this incident that happened to me yesterday on eBay. If the fine gentleman is on this forum, then you sir are a rather large tool and I hope this hangs your head in shame!

I sold a very cheap St Mortiz watch via eBay for a little over £40. I had purchased it brand new 4 or 5 years ago maybe. It was buried away in one of my many drawers, and I totally forgot I even had it still. Cosmetically it was mint condition - As new I would say, with the clear sticky protective plastic on the case still. I had never worn it, but it had no life in it at all. Obviously from sitting around for so long. Quartz movement, so I "assumed" it just needed a battery and would be good to go for the new owner. Ok in hindsight, I should have got the battery changed before I sold it, but i mean cummon it was a £40 quick sale.

Anyway, the angry gentlemen who purchased it messaged and said he had taken it to a jewellers and they tried replacing the battery but there was a problem with the electric circuit board which was faulty and needed replacing. This would cost more than the watch is worth. I was very apologetic and said to return it to me and I would happily provide a refund...

Said watch turns up yesterday - Clear sticky protection removed and several minor scratches and a small dent where someone has obviously tried popping the back of the case with a screwdriver or small thin object. I sat and thought about it for a while and felt this was taking the biscuit. It didn't sit right with me at all.

Poor picture but you can just make out the damage here:

IMG_5220

Someone please correct me if I am wrong... I sold the watch in mint condition (cosmetically). What I though was a battery replacement turned out to be a further problem. I therefore happily agree to provide a refund. The watch turns up like this? Am I right in telling him where to go? (and not in them words)

After a few firm emails exchanged, I could sense the guy was getting quite angry. He said "it must have been the jeweller", "send it back and I will go and get answers from them." I said ok I will get it in the post today or Friday when I get the time.

Then he came at me saying "oh you sold it as mint condition and it doesn't work" "its your fault you sold a faulty watch". I confirmed that it clearly stated cosmetically mint. I accepted the electrical fault was my mistake so would refund him. Then he says "oh its a piece of junk. don't bother sending it back to me. Throw it in the bin..."

And that was that!! 

I would love to hear you guys thoughts on this. Have I missed something or done something wrong here? 

I doubt very much that it will be anyone on this forum mate, that's just not how we do things around here.  Unfortunately, in this case I would say you just need to accept was has happened and move on.  Not worth getting bent out of shape over it IMHO.  A better option (with hindsight, obviously) might have been to advertise it on here first, you would be more likely to find a genuine buyer.  Ebay does appear to have more than it's fair share of idiots.

For what it's worth, I doubt very much that the quartz module is faulty, that is pretty rare from my experience.  You should try fitting a new battery anyway, and see if it fires up as they normally do. Even if the module is dead, it's quite a cheap and easy fix.  If you can't do it, I'm sure @simon2 would be happy to sort it for you.

• Like 5

Annoying I know but I would just refund him and write it off unfortunately. If he opens a case against you I can practically guarantee eBay will refund him anyway ( they do seem to favour the buyer). This is one of the reasons I had my fill of selling on eBay a long time ago 

• Like 2

So in my experience although watch was mint cosmetically, I would have listed it as spares or repairs simply because it was not ticking away. In your defence I would have contacted you 1st before taking to the jewellers for whatever reason but hey that is Fleebay for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the watch had not been scratched what would have done with it after doing the refund? If it would have gone in the bin then the minor damage, whilst annoying, makes no difference.

If you fit a battery and it works then buyer should accept it back  but if not and you fit a new movement then you are really looking to be compensated for the price reduction due to the damage - probably less than the cost of postage for you to send it to the buyer so that he can confront the jeweller.

Is it worth the time and effort to pursue this? Just write it off to a bad ebay deal.

4 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

So in my experience although watch was mint cosmetically, I would have listed it as spares or repairs simply because it was not ticking away. In your defence I would have contacted you 1st before taking to the jewellers for whatever reason but hey that is Fleebay for you.

If you buy a watch and the advert says that it needs a new battery then why would you contact the seller before getting one fitted (or fitting it yourself)?

I've bought plenty of quartz watches on ebay that have needed a battery, and almost all of them fire up straight away.  The exception has been Swatch watches, which I tend to avoid after buying a job lot and not one of them worked :laugh:

I also got scammed by one seller ages ago who sold me a job lot of 4 or 5 old fashioned "red screen" LED watches, sold as NOS, but they neglected to mention there were no modules inside :mad0218:  The wording on the advert was deliberately vague, and the photos showed the watches clearly, so I had to suck it up and accept it.  As I mentioned previously, not worth getting bent out of shape over things like that.  Karma will probably even things up at a later date.  "What goes around, comes around" is my favourite saying... :tongue:

• Like 4

If it fires up after a new battery I would just write it off as a bad experience.  No point in fighting battles you won't win - eBay sides with the buyer most of the time, especially if they claim the watch wasn't working when it arrived.

I got my first bad review on Trustpilot last month when a £29 Swatch arrived not working.  I had fitted a new battery and it was working when it left me, and rather than contact me they went straight to trustpilot.  I offered a full refund but the guy wasn't interested!  His review and response annoyed me at first, but I wasn't prepared to let him annoy me so I let it slide.

I did want to tell him to throw the watch into a deep lake.  But don't take it off first :naughty:

• Haha 1

One of the reasons I no longer use eBay.Last item I sold many years ago was listed as used.Got bad feedback because item was not new.

Edited by Bonzodog
  • Like 1

I'll leave other, far more experienced, to comment on the watch side of things.

What I would say is that I have been buying on eBay for about six years, but only recently in the watch arena. Prior to that I was shopping for camera equipment - my thing is to get high end equipment after ten years or so when they have depreciated 60%-80%. I would say that the sellers and buyers of photographic equipment seem to be a genuine, well intentioned, set of people (with the odd exception). My limited experience of watch sellers on eBay is a very different experience - very much more of a Wild West atmosphere, with cowboys and gunslingers. I'm sure similar comments can be made for some of the buyers too, though I don't have practical experience of that side.

@MrF-UK82, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. For your own peace of mind, you need to find the best way to move on swiftly. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, Boots said:

I'll leave other, far more experienced, to comment on the watch side of things.

What I would say is that I have been buying on eBay for about six years, but only recently in the watch arena. Prior to that I was shopping for camera equipment - my thing is to get high end equipment after ten years or so when they have depreciated 60%-80%. I would say that the sellers and buyers of photographic equipment seem to be a genuine, well intentioned, set of people (with the odd exception). My limited experience of watch sellers on eBay is a very different experience - very much more of a Wild West atmosphere, with cowboys and gunslingers. I'm sure similar comments can be made for some of the buyers too, though I don't have practical experience of that side.

@MrF-UK82, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. For your own peace of mind, you need to find the best way to move on swiftly. Good luck!

Well I have over 600+ positive reviews selling all kinds of watches, camera equipment, etc. 

The main point of my problem here, was that the guy returned the watch damaged - Scratches and a dent. You couldn't go into a shop and give something back that had been opened, used, damaged could you? It's like buying a pair of football boots - Taking them back because they don't fit - Then the shop worker looks at them and they have mud stuck to the bottom!! :laugh:

I was MORE than happy to refund the money, but he did not return the watch in the condition I sold it in. Regardless of the fact the watch isn't working. I was going to seek advice on the forum to get it repaired and sell it on again, but not I have to try and sell it with damage on it! 

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I doubt very much that it will be anyone on this forum mate, that's just not how we do things around here.  Unfortunately, in this case I would say you just need to accept was has happened and move on.  Not worth getting bent out of shape over it IMHO.  A better option (with hindsight, obviously) might have been to advertise it on here first, you would be more likely to find a genuine buyer.  Ebay does appear to have more than it's fair share of idiots.

For what it's worth, I doubt very much that the quartz module is faulty, that is pretty rare from my experience.  You should try fitting a new battery anyway, and see if it fires up as they normally do. Even if the module is dead, it's quite a cheap and easy fix.  If you can't do it, I'm sure @simon2 would be happy to sort it for you.

Thanks buddy.  As for posting it on here first... I did... :laugh:

@simon2 could we discuss the possibility of you sorting it for me please mate?

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

If the watch had not been scratched what would have done with it after doing the refund? If it would have gone in the bin then the minor damage, whilst annoying, makes no difference.

If you fit a battery and it works then buyer should accept it back  but if not and you fit a new movement then you are really looking to be compensated for the price reduction due to the damage - probably less than the cost of postage for you to send it to the buyer so that he can confront the jeweller.

Is it worth the time and effort to pursue this? Just write it off to a bad ebay deal.

If you buy a watch and the advert says that it needs a new battery then why would you contact the seller before getting one fitted (or fitting it yourself)?

sold a very cheap St Mortiz watch via eBay for a little over £40. I had purchased it brand new 4 or 5 years ago maybe. It was buried away in one of my many drawers, and I totally forgot I even had it still. Cosmetically it was mint condition - As new I would say, with the clear sticky protective plastic on the case still. I had never worn it, but it had no life in it at all. Obviously from sitting around for so long. Quartz movement, so I "assumed" it just needed a battery and would be good to go for the new owner. Ok in hindsight, I should have got the battery changed before I sold it, but i mean cummon it was a £40 quick sale.

based on the above the seller assumed it need a battery, from my understanding he may have not listed that way. Also he was not sure hence why I mentioned listing as spares or repairs. Unfortunately with ebay devil is the detail. I remember reading that someone paid £200+ for a Xbox (box). Description meant he was buying a box! Buyer thought he was actually buying the Xbox. Works both ways, when buying or selling should be with no assumptions.

• Like 1

I agree with the majority that I should, take it on the chin as a lesson learned, and all that...

I will wait and see if he processes for a refund before I give him one though. After all he returned the watch with damage to it. I certainly won't be chucking it in the bin. 

I hope I can get some advice/ help from the recommended @simon2 perhaps??

Edited by MrF-UK82

13 minutes ago, MrF-UK82 said:

Well I have over 600+ positive reviews selling all kinds of watches, camera equipment, etc. 

Apologies, no offence intended.

1 minute ago, Boots said:

Apologies, no offence intended.

None taken mate. Sorry if I sounded like I took offence! Just a little hot round the collar with this chancer at the moment but its cooling down now. :laugh:

hi, 

sounds like you've had some trouble there, 

of course I can always have a look for you, if you'd like to send it on to me let me know once its posted and ill let you know once I've got it, 

many thanks 

simon 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The vast majority of eBay sellers are genuine people as are the vast majority of eBay buyers. I think in this case its a lesson learnt , as mentioned before , I would have listed it for spares/repairs or better still fitted a battery first.

There is far more fraud and deception on Amazon. eBay is still a good place to buy and sell so long as you keep your wits about you.

If that seller had listed the box in "consoles" then he would not win any eBay case against him.

Tbh Ebay is normally pretty good at stepping in. My only gripe is sellers can no longer give neg feedback to buyers. So you can tell who is buying from you now

• Like 1

Having just recently dealt with MrF, I feel absolutely certain that if MrF said it was mint then it was just  exactly that.

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buyer clearly a "massive tool". No doubt. But is a few scratches even going to devalue a £40??? Probably not, and certainly not enough to get annoyed about.   Ebay will decide in his favour, that's just their (f'ed up) policy, so don't lose any sleep over that either Mr

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrF-UK82 said:

I would love to hear you guys thoughts on this. Have I missed something or done something wrong here

If it was me, sorry, but I would have fitted a battery first to see if it worked before sellimg. The damage caused by the buyer is inexcusable, agreed, and I would suspect the watch was never near a "jeweller" either. :) Good luck.

• Thanks 1

@MrF-UK82 I had a similar experience a few months ago. Mint watch sold, buyer claims not as described, I apologise and (based on what the buyer stated) assume it's been damaged in the post so provided a full refund straight away. 

However, the watch that was sent back wasnt the watch I sent. I sent a mint condition Casio, pretty much unworn. Buyer sent back a worn dirty and broken watch, which was the same model but definitely not what was sent.

In short, are you sure the watch sent back is the same one? Buyers can scam sellers quite easily now, unfortunately, because eBay will almost always side with the buyer. This buyer had 100% positive but the feedback they left others tells the true story. Pretty much half of the feedback they left was "not as described", "where's my refund", "only refunded 50% of the cost", etc. A proper scammer scumbag. :angry::(

Edited by alxbly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MrF-UK82 said:

I would love to hear you guys thoughts on this. Have I missed something or done something wrong here?

It is a difficult one as we have not seen your ebay listing and of course we have no idea how the damage was done - it is possible that the buyer did not notice it if he had taken it to a jewellers. It is always possible that the jeweller messed up and damaged a connector when fitting the battery and then told the buyer that the circuit board was duff.

The fact that the watch does not work is imho more important than the scratches/dent so honouring the refund makes you the good guy in this.

• Like 1

@MrF-UK82 Given it was sold without a battery and din't work (allegedly) when one was fitted it's going to be hard to make a case out of this, put it down to experience and sell it for spares or repair 

• Like 1

A friend of mine took his Tissot to a jeweller for a battery change this was the result.

Tissot_chrono_damaged_by_jeweller.jpg

As I now do some Quartz repairs I sorted it out for him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with the buyer on this one. Assuming the buyer isn't a liar, you've sold a non-working watch which was advertised as "mint", "superb / like new condition" (nowhere did it state "cosmetically mint") and "needs a battery" then got shirty with him when he's returned it with a few marks on the case back. I'd be a bit wound up too if I was the buyer!

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MrF-UK82 said:

The main point of my problem here, was that the guy returned the watch damaged - Scratches and a dent. You couldn't go into a shop and give something back that had been opened, used, damaged could you? It's like buying a pair of football boots - Taking them back because they don't fit - Then the shop worker looks at them and they have mud stuck to the bottom!! :laugh:

No, but on the other hand if you discover a fault with said boots while using them then yes, you've every right to take them back worn. Your buyer hasn't returned this watch because it didn't fit or he'd changed his mind - he's returned it because you sold him a knackered watch. Doesn't matter how shiny it looked if it fails to function at all. You've sold a watch you knew needed at least a battery with no knowledge of who might attempt the battery change or their level of skill or equipment to do so. The buyer has no way of telling the watch is faulty without opening up the case so unless it actually seems the buyer has caused the fault through their own mishandling you've got to accept that whoever opens that up might well not do so to your standards before they discover that you'd sold them a dud. And just how much does a couple of tiny scratches affect the value of what is after all a relatively cheap to start with, and now broken watch? It's like selling someone a car that needs a new tyre, then being offended they've scratched the rim changing the tyre when they come back and complain the engine's missing.Apologise to the guy and write it off for goodness sake! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1