• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JosetteHenriette

Vintage ladies watches don’t have a second hand?

Hello everyone! So I’m a newbie here and this is my first post so please bare with me and be gentle :rolleyes:

I’m semi new into collecting vintage watches and normally I only collect/wear men’s watches. However, I’ve been given a late 40s/50s Smiths Empire ladies watch as a present the other week and I’ve noticed that there isn’t a second hand and I find it so bizarre! Is this normal or the second hand is actually missing? :laughing2dw:

I’ve looked into pictures online and stuff and it does seem like the girls watches don’t have them...is that correct? (Personally I like looking at the second hand sometimes coz I find the ticking and sweeping rather therapeutic at times lol)

But yeh, sorry for rambling on and guys, help me out and educate me please! :wub:

Thank you xoxo

Welcome to the Forum, Josette. There are many watches out there that were not designed to incorporate a second hand, both gents' and ladies' models. I would have thought that if your watch originally had a sweep hand then there will be a "giveaway" on examining the central hub of the watch, and indeed, there might be the actual hand floating around inside the watch under the glass.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Josette.

I'm just looking at two watches on my bench now.  One is a 21.6kbph auto ladies Imado, three hands with day and date complication.  The other is a men's Longines quartz with just two hands.

While ladies watches tend to be simpler, there are no hard and fast rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1