• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
electorn

Roamer Premier

Good day all, I have just been shown my brother-in-laws watch, given to him quite a few years ago.

Its a Roamer Premier and was presented to his grandfather in 1965 on his retirement.  I love the dial on this piece and the dome is icing on the cake.  I will try and give it a gentle clean up over the weekend and get some better pictures.

Are there any experts on here who can shed a bit of history on the Premier?  Internet search just throws up lots of auction site nonsense.

Thanks in advance.

20181017-193910-1.jpg

20181017-193916.jpg

20181017-193956.jpg

Edited by electorn
Add photo
  • Like 2

Great timepiece, sir :thumbsup:

As indicated, inscribed, dates from the 60’s with what I suspect (?) an MST ( Meyer & Studeli) movement, Swiss company founded in 1888.

These with an MST Calibre are becoming increasingly sought after by vintage collectors....have a few myself.

That is fantastic SW, thanks very much.  I have just been showing the family and they were marvelling at the photo of the movement.

The watch is a real beauty and its nice to get a chance to see the heart of it.  Do you know whether the no-date movement is as nice as the MST430?

1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

Great timepiece, sir :thumbsup:

As indicated, inscribed, dates from the 60’s with what I suspect (?) an MST ( Meyer & Studeli) movement, Swiss company founded in 1888.

These with an MST Calibre are becoming increasingly sought after by vintage collectors....have a few myself.

Thank you K, I would love to get a look at the movement on this but I don't want to damage anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, electorn said:

That is fantastic SW, thanks very much.  I have just been showing the family and they were marvelling at the photo of the movement.

The watch is a real beauty and its nice to get a chance to see the heart of it.  Do you know whether the no-date movement is as nice as the MST430?

Thank you K, I would love to get a look at the movement on this but I don't want to damage anything.

One of mine with the calibre MST 430 (date)...

eVF9Cjd.jpg

Hope it helps

:thumbsup:

Thanks K, I might try to remove the caseback on the weekend.  It looks like a job to take plenty of time over.

9 hours ago, electorn said:

Thanks K, I might try to remove the caseback on the weekend.  It looks like a job to take plenty of time over.

if it is like mine the movement comes out of the front.  On the non crown side there is a small groove to pry off ther bezel and the glass, then the movement lifts out.  A warning though - one slip and you can ruin the bezel or the dial.  For a quick look I wouldn't risk it.

11 hours ago, scottswatches said:

if it is like mine the movement comes out of the front.  On the non crown side there is a small groove to pry off ther bezel and the glass, then the movement lifts out.  A warning though - one slip and you can ruin the bezel or the dial.  For a quick look I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for the warning sir, I will avoid doing that then!

I might have to send it away to someone for a service and spruce up.

10 hours ago, Nigelp said:

very nice looks mint, even the strap looks period or original. 

I am led to believe it had a bracelet originally and the strap was added after the bracelet snapped.  No sign of it now unfortunately, I will try to find a nice period leather strap for it.  I am going to get in touch with Roamer and see if they have any old stock lurking in a warehouse somewhere.

15 hours ago, electorn said:

Thanks for the warning sir, I will avoid doing that then!

I might have to send it away to someone for a service and spruce up.

Our very own Simon2 may be able to help you there.

7 hours ago, simon2 said:

Lovely watch. Will service it for you. Just ask.

Thanks for the pointer Roger and thank you Simon for taking the time to post.  I would be very happy for you to service it, I think it deserves it and it would be lovely for the family.

Is it ok to drop you a pm later Simon to get things arranged?