Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Nigelp

Bargain Prestige Cars.....what could possibly go wrong...

Recommended Posts

In the past 6 months or so i've gone through more cars than watches...being an optimist i always work on the premise 'what could possibly go wrong'...All the s class mercs i had last year were fine...apart from the fuel. I spent 6 grand on petrol in 18 months. So i got a bit blaze and bought a maser qp. Which was fine. Well ok it wasn't and when anything went wrong it came back with a bill for 'two and a half grand'. I kept it 8 weeks...then I bought this because the French president has one and i was asked to play ball with the brexit deal going through. I kept it about 4 months. Its a Citroen C6 2.7 hdi twin turbo. lovely comfy thing with a Jag diesel in it. Love or loath looks. 60 grand new and the 8 year old version i bought was 4 grand with full history. But I couldn't gel...So what prestige cars would you like...but are not brave enough? Come on @BondandBigM get the lv sold and get a 996:teethsmile:

 

31536887748_8bf49ab0a1_b.jpgcitroen 2 by nigel pate, on Flickr

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't buy an Audi TT !!! 

Lasted about four or five weeks before the engine seized. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Current collection, at least the Beamer goes. 

8q0HgO.jpg

68Jjxl.jpg

The way LV prices are going if I hold out I might get a 997.

:biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Don't buy an Audi TT !!! 

Lasted about four or five weeks before the engine seized. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Current collection, at least the Beamer goes. 

8q0HgO.jpg

68Jjxl.jpg

The way LV prices are going if I hold out I might get a 997.

:biggrin:

i love the e46...i've had a 330 saloon m sport in imola since march and its been spot on. Unbelievably quick, on mv1's like yours. I was looking at a 997 in my fixer upper the other day and they had the engine shields off, everything was solid with rust. Great looking car though. With the way LV prices are going, i'd wait until next year and get a widow maker in black or red, from 1977 with the 4 speed and no syncro.:biggrin:. Then remember me in your will... 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i love the e46...i've had a 330 saloon m sport in imola since march and its been spot on. Unbelievably quick, on mv1's like yours. I was looking at a 997 in my fixer upper the other day and they had the engine shields off, everything was solid with rust. Great looking car though. With the way LV prices are going, i'd wait until next year and get a widow maker in black or red, from 1977 with the 4 speed and no syncro.:biggrin:. Then remember me in your will... 

 

A better pic of the Beamer, I looked at a 330 convertible and a couple of M3 convertibles but this 325 was the cleanest I saw. I bought it at the height of summer and probably paid a bit over the odds but hey ho it is tidy. 

:)

4ldQfY.jpg

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

A better pic of the Beamer, I looked at a 330 convertible and a couple of M3 convertibles but this was the cleanest I saw. I bought it at the height of summer and probably paid a bit over the odds but hey ho it is tidy. 

:)

4ldQfY.jpg

looks very tidy, what engine?

I'll get some pics up of my imola its mapped to 250bhp and 390lbft torque, love it best car i've had in years for tearing about in...it brings out my evil side. :teethsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BondandBigM said:

325 but it's enough for just cruising around in. 

nowt wrong with that the 325 6 petrol is a lovely smooth engine plenty fast enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

what could possibly go wrong'

When you put "bargain" and "prestige" in the same sentence, usually everything. :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a phaeton too which i picked up last week and i'm well impressed. I'll get more on that when i get chance. 

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

When you put "bargain" and "prestige" in the same sentence, usually everything. :laughing2dw:

yep :biggrin:

fancy a used maser qp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

..it brings ou

7 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

looks very tidy, what engine?

I'll get some pics up of my imola its mapped to 250bhp and 390lbft torque, love it best car i've had in years for tearing about in...it brings out my evil side. :teethsmile:

t my

You need these devil eyes

BMW_E46_M3_TrackCar_Volk_TE37SL_APR-28.j

 

evil side. 

By the way the quote facility has went a bit wonky since you were last here. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

By the way the quote facility has went a bit wonky since you were last here. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

clear your inbox mate...are you trying to corrupt me, i'll get my gran back for a date with you...she's been gone 2 years...went on all hallows, :biggrin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually surprisingly the Audi was a cracking little car, run out Mk1 190hp two wheel drive. Shame about the engine,  because there were only a few sold and only for the last few months of the MK1's I can't get an engine for it. 

KBJcNN.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot me down, but I always fancied a Rover 75 estate, the 4.6 V8 …

cQTpphK.jpg

Not prestige as such but cheap as chips and not a bad runner by all accounts :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it's classed as prestige, but if it's a bargain money pit you're looking for I can recommend the mighty Mazda RX-8.  Cheap as chips to buy, fantastic to drive, but insanely expensive to run and maintain.  I had mine for about a year, and after spending a ton of money on the finest oils and various servicing costs, the engine main bearing let go with just over 50,000 miles on the clock :mad0218:

Am I glad I had one?  Absolutely, yes!  Would I have another one...?  Nope! :laughing2dw:

Here's mine anyway:

100_5879

:tongue:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davey P said:

I'm not sure if it's classed as prestige, but if it's a bargain money pit you're looking for I can recommend the mighty Mazda RX-8.  Cheap as chips to buy, fantastic to drive, but insanely expensive to run and maintain.  I had mine for about a year, and after spending a ton of money on the finest oils and various servicing costs, the engine main bearing let go with just over 50,000 miles on the clock :mad0218:

Am I glad I had one?  Absolutely, yes!  Would I have another one...?  Nope! :laughing2dw:

 

i had an RX8 for three months before getting rid.  I swapped it in towards a 4.3 litre Automatic Mercedes S class which used much less fuel

And the MG ZT was a retro engineered bodge job.  Better to find a good 2.5 V6 and save the money.

And the Chrysler 300c?  A little bit of sick just came into my mouth...

I have the bargain, providing the maintenance is reasonable.  The Mercedes CL500.  14 years old and 5% of the £70k list price.  All being well it will be worth that and more when I come to sell, but scrap it is worth £2k in parts, so it can only cost me £1500 at most in depreciation.  It even has a tape deck (as well as DVD!)

2018-07-26_08-49-49

The only downsides are costly to run, 30mpg max and everyone suspects you are doing too well in life.  My Skoda workhorse is worth over three times what the Merc is, but no one questions you if you drive a Skoda diesel!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I'm not sure if it's classed as prestige, but if it's a bargain money pit you're looking for I can recommend the mighty Mazda RX-8.  Cheap as chips to buy, fantastic to drive, but insanely expensive to run and maintain.  I had mine for about a year, and after spending a ton of money on the finest oils and various servicing costs, the engine main bearing let go with just over 50,000 miles on the clock :mad0218:

Am I glad I had one?  Absolutely, yes!  Would I have another one...?  Nope! :laughing2dw:

Here's mine anyway:

100_5879

:tongue:

Whip out the wankel :whistling: and drop a Rover V8 into it.  Not sure if it's an easy swap in the RX8, but it was relatively easy to do in the RX7 - had one and loved it.  Used to call it my Jap TVR

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Bad Boris said:

Whip out the wankel :whistling: and drop a Rover V8 into it.  Not sure if it's an easy swap in the RX8, but it was relatively easy to do in the RX7 - had one and loved it.  Used to call it my Jap TVR

I don't have the RX-8 any more, I sold mine about 5 years ago.  However, my next door neighbour has got one to use as a trackday car, and he's fitted a Lexus engine... :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Actually surprisingly the Audi was a cracking little car, run out Mk1 190hp two wheel drive. Shame about the engine,  because there were only a few sold and only for the last few months of the MK1's I can't get an engine for it. 

KBJcNN.jpg

 

I've got to nip down the hallowed corridors in a minute, they're never going to get it through...she'll be out by Next Tuesday. Oh yes the Tity...there are two of those as permanent props outside our local taxi rank, i don't think they work.  

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

i had an RX8 for three months before getting rid.  I swapped it in towards a 4.3 litre Automatic Mercedes S class which used much less fuel

And the MG ZT was a retro engineered bodge job.  Better to find a good 2.5 V6 and save the money.

And the Chrysler 300c?  A little bit of sick just came into my mouth...

I have the bargain, providing the maintenance is reasonable.  The Mercedes CL500.  14 years old and 5% of the £70k list price.  All being well it will be worth that and more when I come to sell, but scrap it is worth £2k in parts, so it can only cost me £1500 at most in depreciation.  It even has a tape deck (as well as DVD!)

2018-07-26_08-49-49

The only downsides are costly to run, 30mpg max and everyone suspects you are doing too well in life.  My Skoda workhorse is worth over three times what the Merc is, but no one questions you if you drive a Skoda diesel!

Loved loved loved mine, not liked a car so much since i had my 635csi when i was 18, the fuel was a killer for me i did 15,000 miles in one of them 5,000 in the other and about 10,000 in the one before that all in 19 months and thats not including the w221 5.5. I should have known better. But I did my bit in tax revenue to reverse our national debt. I spent thousands at the pumps. Loved every minute, the drive of my life. The best mpg i got in the cl500 was about 20...Can't see good ones staying so cheap forever. The g7 box is sublime. Looks better not in silver...:thumbsup:

good plate

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Wish I still had this....

large.CNV00009.JPG.e278f02604f31af5218aa874fb7a55c4.JPG

that has the same initial on the plate as my first girl friend...ELB she was mad...saw one going through conwy the other day in brg it looked mint. Not many left but those that are are all molly coddled. Saw a few on the 3 castles in llandudno too. Yep nice motor. Great 70's colour too.:biggrin: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...