• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Nigelp

Pocket rockets...know your cars then do you?

So you know your beemers then???? I know there are other marques that shone in the title. The hot hatch gen. Pretty much thought it had things wrapped. GTI from vw pug etc etc etc. Everyone had a go. But i reckon bmw started it all long before that with the 02 range. Not least the tii and turbo. Last autumn i came across an extremely rare 330d sport to club sport spec. This is a little car with the same torque figure as a 5.5 litre v8 s class merc. 390lbft and right from 1750 rpm to nye on 4000...and it does 30mpg round town. This mint 17 year old imola cost its first owner more than a Jag xj8 4 litre sov of the same year in 2002. Yep this little fella was 38 grand! A few specs make this a rare gem. It was a personal import built to club sport spec with virtually no sound proofing, driving light delete and increased brake cooling with bigger discs. Full sport and individual spec in imola with shadow line and alcantara black headlining. It has more aggressive camsaft different dme and full mtec suspension interior and body. Its otherwise an e46 with the 3 litre 6 intended for the 7. The rear axle has the active rear axle kinematics right off a 1996 850csi. The M8 in all but name. To sum it up its a lot of fun on the cheap.

Is there a better classic pocket rocket?20181019_124648.jpeg20181019_121444.jpeg20181019_124548.jpeg20181019_121451.jpeg20181019_124910.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Pretty much concours note the mpg its saving me a lot...20181019_124542.jpeg20181019_124517.jpeg20181019_121333.jpeg20181019_121503.jpeg20181019_121133.jpeg

Note the details...proper alignment of centre caps and m badges no locking nuts was part of the spec and the studs are titanium even though they look standard. 20181019_124925.jpeg20181019_124910.jpeg20181019_121147.jpeg20181019_121021.jpeg20181019_121008.jpeg

Note the gen bm bonnet badge...there are a lot of faked badges on sale. Manual sport leather seats to save weight. Engine is more or less the same as a 7. But note how compact the header is. Everything is so tight to fit in. 20181019_120926.jpeg20181019_120931.jpeg20181019_120902.jpeg20181019_120950.jpeg

• Thanks 1

That’s a nice motor Nige and I’m sure you’ll have far less bother with it than the Maserati QP which you were always clearly nuts for buying but well done for having the balls to do it in the first place :laugh:

Where do you get all your motors from by the way? They always seem to be nice clean examples!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

That’s a nice motor Nige and I’m sure you’ll have far less bother with it than the Maserati QP which you were always clearly nuts for buying but well done for having the balls to do it in the first place :laugh:

Where do you get all your motors from by the way? They always seem to be nice clean examples!

Thanks mate, had it since march and done a trouble free 6k in it, had quiet a bit of recommissioning done, but the body and interior are as i got it. I've spent about 2 grand on it, but 900 of that was tyres and brakes, i opted for pirelli p zero assymetrics like on an 89 Testarossa! Y rated. And i'm very impressed with them. Most of my cars turn up through friends who get something special in and know i might like it, but this one was a lucky turn up off a seller in sheffield. I swapped a hirsch modified saab and grand for the beemer which was a fab deal in my mind!:teethsmile:

15 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I'm off out to see if my centre caps line up

:huh:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Does it have the wider rear wheels ??? hard to tell from the pics. 

Yes they're staggered 255 on the back and 225 on the front and it grips like a scotsman to his wallet. Yeh the centre caps need to be right Mr B:biggrin:...and go check you ain't got Chinese BMW badges!:tongue: 

12 minutes ago, martinzx said:

Nice car Nigel! I always get homesick when I read your threads about cars... Well done and enjoy yourself!! :thumbsup:

I'll bet Martin, modern class cars are crazily cheap over in the uk, We've taken most of what the German posh car sector could pump out so there is a high concentration on a relatively small island and therefore loads of supply and once they get beyond warranties and into mot's most fawk are scared daft of them, due to the electronics mainly. Which is fair enough because when they do go wrong it can be expensive. The biggest costs I had weren't in fact with the maser qp...i did jest a bit there but it was fine and reliable...i just didn't like it! It felt no better than my old Jag x350 and the sky hook suspension and auto back just didn't gel, it wasn't the sum of its parts. But the biggest expense i had was with one of my favourites recently. The big merc w221 5.5 with some amg bits. It was electrically weak and everything packed up from the handbrake to the boot lock all electric. Then the abs lights and asc lights came on which is big money mot failure stuff over here...i sold it for 4 grand and took a 3.5 grand loss in less than 12 months...I probably could have got more it took less than 24 hours to sell and some lads came up from London for it. Guess they either wanted to break it, or use it for some sort of get away car...:)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

but 900 of that was tyres and brakes, i opted for pirelli p zero assymetrics like on an 89 Testarossa! Y rated. And i'm very impressed with them. 

Yes they're staggered 255 on the back and 225 on the front and it grips like a scotsman to his wallet. Yeh the centre caps need to be right Mr B:biggrin:...and go check you ain't got Chinese BMW badges!:tongue: 

Yep mine are the same, never noticed when I bought it, it was only when I needed to get a couple of rear tyres and checked the size that I realised they were wider on the back. 

I was getting a lift to work in a 330d estate that had been mapped and so on, surprisingly rapid it just pulled like a train. The only minor problem was that it chewed its way through two auto boxes. He eventually had it converted to a manual, apparently a popular mod on them. 

• Like 1

Just now, BondandBigM said:

Yep mine are the same, never noticed when I bought it, it was only when I needed to get a couple of rear tyres and checked the size that I realised they were wider on the back. 

I was getting a lift to work in a 330d estate that had been mapped and so on, surprisingly rapid it just pulled like a train. The only minor problem was that it chewed its way through two auto boxes. He eventually had it converted to a manual, apparently a popular mod on them. 

yeh yours are mv1 too, didn't realise from your pic they were staggered, not all were some were 225 all round. Staggered look much better. Mines on its original box with 174k on the clock but i know what you mean the engine torque can destroy the torque converter in the box leading it to lose reverse, which is ok but there are times when you need to back up. Mine seems all good, but i had the full gear box service when i got the car, the full kit and filters which was something like 300 quid. The oil that came out was nasty, but fortunately not damage done. It selects smoothly no clunks and kicksdown crisply. The biggest niggle when i got it was fixing an oil leak on the engine. Turned out some genius had decided the o rings weren't needed on the dipstick tube! There are two and i did it myself. One of the most horrid jobs i've done...lying on my back on the garage floor trying to re positioning the tube. Apart from that its all been routine stuff.  

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/corporate/aftermarket/spare_parts_corporate/transmissions_corporate/how_to_change_oil/change_oil.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

yeh yours are mv1 too, didn't realise from your pic they were staggered, not all were some were 225 all round. Staggered look much better. Mines on its original box with 174k on the clock but i know what you mean the engine torque can destroy the torque converter in the box leading it to lose reverse, which is ok but there are times when you need to back up. Mine seems all good, but i had the full gear box service when i got the car, the full kit and filters which was something like 300 quid. The oil that came out was nasty, but fortunately not damage done. It selects smoothly no clunks and kicksdown crisply. The biggest niggle when i got it was fixing an oil leak on the engine. Turned out some genius had decided the o rings weren't needed on the dipstick tube! There are two and i did it myself. One of the most horrid jobs i've done...lying on my back on the garage floor trying to re positioning the tube. Apart from that its all been routine stuff.  

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/corporate/aftermarket/spare_parts_corporate/transmissions_corporate/how_to_change_oil/change_oil.html

It does look clean, although to be fair I'm not keen on the more door configuration on these I prefer the coupe. 

That being said the convertibles have a bit of an odd look with the roof up. I'm going try and get a hardtop for mine before the winter sets in inmo a really nice look. But I rarely have the roof up on it, slightest hint of sun and we just put Big coats on. 

I just recently bought this coat especially for winter top down cruising, sunglasses sewen in for that low sun glare not so sure the Plods will like it but hey ho we'll soon find out. 

vy1vpV.jpg

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I just recently bought this coat especially for winter top down cruising, sunglasses sewen in for that low sun glare not so sure the Plods will like it but hey ho we'll soon find out. 

vy1vpV.jpg

945338b1da395f16097c9e2512d90fe9--hurley

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

It does look clean, although to be fair I'm not keen on the more door configuration on these I prefer the coupe. 

That being said the convertibles have a bit of an odd look with the roof up. I'm going try and get a hardtop for mine before the winter sets in inmo a really nice look. But I rarely have the roof up on it, slightest hint of sun and we just put Big coats on. 

vy1vpV.jpg

christ i think those coats cost more than our two e46's put together:biggrin:

I love the 4 door versions they're actually more compact, i was in my local bm stealer the other day getting reg plates (i think they make all the difference to get dealer ones) and they had some sort of new fangled m3 csl saloon at 96grand...or about 96 of my 330:)

goodness knows why it was 96k there must have been lots of ze German extras onboard. They start at a mere 55k...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/m3/first-drives/bmw-m3-cs-2018-uk-review

Edited by Nigelp

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

christ i think those coats cost more than our two e46's put together

Don't tell Big M that. I've wanted one for years and she would never buy me one. Totally ridiculous and I only bought it to annoy her. 

On the Beemer extras, back in the day my 80's wide boy boss bought an Alpina 5 series from Sytners. 

Even back then the price was eye-watering and the cost to get all the extra bells and whistles alone would have bought you a decent motor. Everything from the radio upwards was an expensive ticky box extra. Needless to say he just ticked every box. I'm sure he didn't even know what half of it was or did. 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

currently got this wide ass thing taking up half my drive , not mine my sons, I like speed but this thing scares me when he sets off , even has the button to make the thing go even louder so the police here you coming before you get there :biggrin: and it got more screens, settings  than the first manned space module :laugh:

deano

oh just cost him 2 K on a first service at 1500 mls !

3wevZPP.jpg

m5yYvJM.jpg

QuJ9eNd.jpg

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deano1956 said:

currently got this wide ass thing taking up half my drive , not mine my sons, I like speed but this thing scares me when he sets off , even has the button to make the thing go even louder so the police here you coming before you get there :biggrin: and it got more screens, settings  than the first manned space module :laugh:

deano

oh just cost him 2 K on a first service at 1500 mls !

3wevZPP.jpg

m5yYvJM.jpg

QuJ9eNd.jpg

very nice indeed mate!:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Don't tell Big M that. I've wanted one for years and she would never buy me one. Totally ridiculous and I only bought it to annoy her. 

On the Beemer extras, back in the day my 80's wide boy boss bought an Alpina 5 series from Sytners. 

Even back then the price was eye-watering and the cost to get all the extra bells and whistles alone would have bought you a decent motor. Everything from the radio upwards was an expensive ticky box extra. Needless to say he just ticked every box. I'm sure he didn't even know what half of it was or did. 

:laugh: you old rogue, my 330 set me back about 2 grand and i've spent that on it. I've seen a similar one at 5.5k! which is daft at the moment. I had a hirsch performance saab 1.9tid for 6 weeks which was interesting it was the 93 1,9tid in black and auto on a 56. Quiet fun for the 1200 quid it cost. 

Edited by Nigelp

8 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

vy1vpV.jpg

You'll look like Ed China when the Wheeler Dealers did the Brighton run.....:laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

You'll look like Ed China when the Wheeler Dealers did the Brighton run.....:laughing2dw:

You can laugh but the idea behind the original CP Goggle Coats is along those lines. 

CP-Company-Aitor-Throup-20th-Anniversary

And there is a bit of a watch connection as some of them have "watch viewers" in the cuffs

7ef566b9e85d115de220e2bbaf2c8f24.jpg

They hark back to the days of days of open topped road racing like the Miller Miga. 

1280_1.jpg?1813

I still think the local Plods probably wouldn't be impressed though. 

@Nigelp

I checked, my centre caps don't line up with the small 'M' Sport badges. Now I'm going to have to take all the wheels off and align them. 

And they are, like my LV, original and genuine. No mickey mouse copies of anything in the Bond Household. 

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

You can laugh but the idea behind the original CP Goggle Coats is along those lines. 

CP-Company-Aitor-Throup-20th-Anniversary

And there is a bit of a watch connection as some of them have "watch viewers" in the cuffs

7ef566b9e85d115de220e2bbaf2c8f24.jpg

They hark back to the days of days of open topped road racing like the Miller Miga. 

1280_1.jpg?1813

I still think the local Plods probably wouldn't be impressed though. 

@Nigelp

I checked, my centre caps don't line up with the small 'M' Sport badges. Now I'm going to have to take all the wheels off and align them. 

And they are, like my LV, original and genuine. No mickey mouse copies of anything in the Bond Household. 

when i got the imola sport (despite the m badges they weren't known as m sports until 2003 or 4 apparently) it was mint looking but some of the details were out. It had chrome grilles in the bonnet they should be shadow line like the rest of the trim, and ebay bmw badges made in china! The plastic jobs that fly off...what some people don't seem to know is the boot badge is smaller than the bonnet one and so my boot badge didn't sit flush. You know the sort of niggles that start to bug after the excitement of a new car settles and you see the bits that need sorting. Also the m badges on the wheels were upside down! My next door neighbours lad is parts lad at my local bmw agent. So i got a full compliment of new badges (i can understand why the ebay china specials are tempting because the bmw ones are 40 quid each for the bonnet and boot and 40 quid for a wheel set...as opposed to a tenner of the bay...theres a reason why they're a tenner off the bay...they're cheap plastic things rather than the pressed enamel of the origis). But yeh back to the positioning of the m badges on the wheels...they need to be directly opposite the m in bmw and upside down at 'tdc'. I know i can use the expressions 'tdc' with you @BondandBigM. You being in a proper job like my Dad was. He taught me the importance of it when i was 19 and we were rebuilding the top end and re-setting the timing on my bmw 635csi after it blew a chunk out of the head gasket and warped the alloy head...all good fun...:biggrin:

Did you measure TDC with a DTI when the head was off. 

When I built the engine in my Vette I fitted a gear drive for the cam to replace the timing chain. It had some adjustment so you could get the cam timing absolutely bang on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Did you measure TDC with a DTI when the head was off. 

When I built the engine in my Vette I fitted a gear drive for the cam to replace the timing chain. It had some adjustment so you could get the cam timing absolutely bang on. 

can't remember now i'm going back to 1991 and to be honest my dad was the foreman on the job, I was home between exams and my head was full of pointless silly things like the neighbour principle in Donoghue v Stevenson and the extension of liability in negligence for nervous shock on policy grounds by Lord Bridge...I'll ask my dad and get back to you.:thumbsup: 

I remember marking the timing chain and rocker box with white paint first and lining up on refitting :yes:

I remember when it started after 2 weeks doing the job and was fine best sound in the world!

Edited by Nigelp

18 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

can't remember now i'm going back to 1991 and to be honest my dad was the foreman on the job, I was home between exams and my head was full of pointless silly things like the neighbour principle in Donoghue v Stevenson and the extension of liability in negligence for nervous shock on policy grounds by Lord Bridge...I'll ask my dad and get back to you.:thumbsup: 

I remember marking the timing chain and rocker box with white paint first and lining up on refitting :yes:

I remember when it started after 2 weeks doing the job and was fine best sound in the world!

I'm a dab hand with a DTI

2GMtdv.jpg

Bang on TDC

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I'm a dab hand with a DTI

2GMtdv.jpg

Bang on TDC

I haven't spoken to him yet but my dad used to trail me round from the age of 6 sometimes at up to 10pm at night in the old factories when he was an engineer for Smith & Nephew Medical and Consumer. In the end in built his own high speed wool ball machines for them at a cost of 9 grand each, when the germans wanted 100 grand for machines which had a lower production rate. That looks like a clock gauge and a cnc????? My dad relied on lads like you to make the parts for the machines for him. 

btw give up wearing that pepsi seiko it ain't you...thats a proper watch and never say 'sorry':thumbsup:

Edited by Nigelp

28 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Yep Dial Test Indicator 

AKA

Clock gauge

mit3201013f.jpg

Set on top on the piston and rotate the crank until the piston reaches its highest point. 

maxresdefault.jpg

spot on, not seen the LV for a bit you haven't sold it and bought a tricked up beetle have you? You'll be sorry expect :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Nigelp said:

spot on, not seen the LV for a bit you haven't sold it and bought a tricked up beetle have you? You'll be sorry expect :rolleyes:

No still have it but I just got it serviced and it came back like a new watch. I’ve only worn it a couple of times since I got it back. I even keep it in the nice Rolex pouch it came back in at night now and think twice about wearing it.

:swoon:

Strange but true 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

No still have it but I just got it serviced and it came back like a new watch. I’ve only worn it a couple of times since I got it back. I even keep it in the nice Rolex pouch it came back in at night now and think twice about wearing it.

:swoon:

Strange but true 

I know what you mean, its like when I wash and polish my car, mint it all up then it rains...Just think of it as a blank canvas ready to put the next 14 years of dings into. It is 14 years just gone isn't it?

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

I know what you mean, its like when I wash and polish my car, mint it all up then it rains...Just think of it as a blank canvas ready to put the next 14 years of dings into. It is 14 years just gone isn't it?

Late 2006 on the papers but bought January 2007, one very we'll documented owner and has 22 months Rolex warranty after they serviced. 

Has to be worth a decent 996 or 997

But I know what you mean, I'd regret it. Maybe I should just rent one for a couple of weeks and get it out of my system. There was a car hire place outside our apartment in Lanzarote that had a Turbo convertible for hire. Wasn't cheap but might have been a bit of fun for a week or two. 

We are going to Fuerteventura for two weeks shortly and Lanzarote is just a short ferry trip away. 

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1