• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Watches and the Kleenex (T)Issue

At the risk of causing a furore on the Forum - mind you, that can be fun - I wonder what members think about this recent termination by Kleenex of the term "Man Size" tissues in favour of the more anodine "Extra Large," and in particular, I would be most interest to hear views about how this change might also be applied to the labelling of wristwatches as being for women or for men rather than just being watches for anyone and everyone.

With the general reduction in the size of men's watches more recently, and with many women choosing to buy watches ostensibly meant for men, I do wonder if the time has come to cease the attempt to categorize watches by gender/sex altogether. I personally am not a great fan of that word, "unisex," and I would actually prefer marketers and watch companies to just let the gender designations drop altogether.

Interestingly for me, if for no-one else, I am aware that I have tended to follow convention to a certain extent in my topics, and go with the gents'/ladies' gender terminology in captions to illustrations. I suppose that when writing a historical piece, one is led by what was regarded as proper practise back then. However, in today's world, I am beginning to feel that we could be less prescriptive in the use of gender terminology, and more open to ideas flowing through the more gender diverse society we are fortunate enough to have in this country.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I do wonder if the time has come to cease the attempt to categorize watches by gender/sex altogether. 

Well ?

my wife wears one of these and never gets a second look,

815VaNPagLL._UL1500_.jpg

Whereas if I wore this,

Graff-Diamonds-Hallucination-55-Million-

might get a few tongues wagging perhaps ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I heard recently that one of the Iphones was sexist as it was deemed too large for the feminine hand!!!

Simples...buy a smaller phone...

Roger

• Like 4

It is beyond a joke nowadays.  PC has gone mad.  I think it's always people with nothing better to do than think up about pointless things!  As for men and ladies watches I don't mind wearing a gents watch!  :king:

• Like 2

There was something on the lunchtime news today about fairy tales/disney films being innapropriate for young children, some moron in the studio was explaining how they send they wrong message to young children ie, cinderella gets kissed by a prince without her consent, men marry women, most characters are white, no same sex couples etc, im sure we`ve all heard the warped mantra of the unhinged before, the twisted thinking of some people is genuinely scary. So if any of you have young children remember the make believe world of fairy tales and disney cartoons is dangerous, if you ddnt laugh you`d cry.

Edited by sabailand
  • Like 4

I can well understand why lots of people no longer make face to face contact as you never know what you may be accused of.

It's beyond barmy.

• Like 3

The removal of gendered words is laughably pathetic with Trudeau's peoplekind and other gynocentric virtue signals.  It makes me want to speak French instead.

Don't get me started on all this diversity balloney either.   I have no problem with other racial groups but the narrative that the less white people the better is as absurd a story as they could dream up.  (And with the burying of the biggest race riot ever seen in a school they are actively trying to cover up that "enrichment" just means more violence)

As to watches there is nothing wrong with the term "midsize" but calling something gents/ladies seems entirely appropriate.

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Well ?

my wife wears one of these and never gets a second look,

815VaNPagLL._UL1500_.jpg

Whereas if I wore this,

My GF wears one also I bought it for her recent birthday but hers has a shark mesh strap. She loves it. I was quite taken with it myself 

I hate all this “PC” nonsense with a vengeance and go out my way to still call things as they should! ie blackboards, Christmas lights, and even recite baa baa black sheep have you any wool to my grandkids. As for all the moaners out there with nothing better to do than complain about stuff, GET A LIFE! Complain about something worthwhile, like war, or famine.. Snowflake society make my blood boil!!!

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

If you could afford to walk around with $55 million (ish) on your wrist then the wagging tongues might not bother you :whistle:

I see no issues with using male / female terms for watches or anything else, as long as it's not used in a discriminatory way. 

My sister is a pretty serious (sensible) feminist and hates with a vengeance those trying to re-design nature and much of the me too campaign, which she regards as a new form of McCarthyism. Whilst in Bkk recently she was looking at the new Omega Constellation line designed for ladies, she has no interest in man size watches (whereas my other half does), whilst my BIL found a previously unknown interest in watches and in particular IWC pilots watches. Stereotypes? Absolutely and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

I have to say that looking from afar, the UK does seem to have become a bit of a basket case, yet when I ask my friends about such matters, they are sneeringly dismissive both of what's happening and those promoting this stuff.

I think what gets me is the way it's rammed down everyone's throat, what with the beeb and others propagating this stuff and laws being introduced to force people to act in this way and that. They could all  really take a lesson from Thailand, where for example, 'the 3rd sex' is everywhere. There are no laws in place forcing people to cower before the law, you'll just go into a shop and suddenly realise the lady serving you is actually a he, or maybe on their way and the 'Toms', as they choose to call themselves, mooch around with short aka masculine hair cuts, male style clothing and sometimes a matching beer belly. Tolerance comes from the people without the interference of Govt. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 5

tissues, "Man Size" tissues in favour of the more anodine "Extra Large,"  FFS

I am 62 and can only call a spade a spade ,so shoot me now please   :biggrin:

deano

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

tissues, "Man Size" tissues in favour of the more anodine "Extra Large,"  FFS

I am 62 and can only call a spade a spade ,so shoot me now please   :biggrin:

deano

If it came to pass there would be a long line blindfolded with their backs against the wall!:(

• Like 1

Thanks everyone so far - fascinating replies...

I myself am a bit of a leftie-liberal but I certainly do not advocate that we artificially abolish the concept and reality of man and woman/male and female. I suppose I just hope for a more general awakening to the benefits of diversity and a more equitable society. Sometimes, it has been possible to leave things up to society itself, without government intervention, as you indicate dear Caller, but there are times when it feels right that regulation should lead the way and help shape a consensus that moves society further on in a positive way. Simple examples would be the wearing of seat belts and the introduction of the breathalyser. Nevertheless, I am pretty cynical about politics and governments, and what is done can be undone depending on who is in power.

Coming back to watches, I reckon that we will have the ladies'/gents' differentiation for many years to come, and I won't be worrying too much about it.

Oh, and thanks for showing that Mondaine Swiss Railway jobbie, dear Wrench. Only the other day, I completely solved Kristina's moaning about not being able to read most watches when I found for her a very similar looking Mondaine to the one you show, but quartz and with a great "big date" feature on the dial. She is thrilled, and it cost me just a few quid.:biggrin:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Teg62x said:

I hate all this “PC” nonsense with a vengeance and go out my way to still call things as they should! ie blackboards, Christmas lights, and even recite baa baa black sheep have you any wool to my grandkids. As for all the moaners out there with nothing better to do than complain about stuff, GET A LIFE! Complain about something worthwhile, like war, or famine.. Snowflake society make my blood boil!!!

:yes:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

so shoot me now please   

Send me your man sized watches first, I'm anti violence, so someone else can do the nasty bit. :laughing2dw:

73f4267130040e68601fff05a73b9826.jpg

maybe a lady with a man sized rifle. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

I am so cheesed off with people trying to engineer society, that I refuse to give my racial origin or sex on government surveys. If people are going to be treated equally, then these factors should be ignored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teg62x said:

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

I read recently that Manchester United were considering having gender neutral toilets at Old Trafford. What decent woman would want to walk into a toilet used by men at a football stadium? Most male toilets at football stadiums are usually ankle deep in urine on the best days.

God forbid anyone gets upset by ....................... just insert any pointless and meaningless thing in the space provided that someone can get mortally offended by. Utterly ridiculous

Noj

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fredwastell said:

I am so cheesed off with people trying to engineer society, that I refuse to give my racial origin or sex on government surveys. If people are going to be treated equally, then these factors should be ignored.

Spot on

Noj