• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Boots

Seamaster Professional

Hoping that the experts here will be able to offer some advice.

I'm a bit confused about the range of SMPs over the years. If I was looking for an auto, around 40mm (perhaps up to 42), from say 1980 to now, what might I look for? (Obviously, if my wife were to see this, I'm not looking for such a thing - nosirree).

Value for money is paramount, but top money would be about 2k. Good design, but not blingy, is important.

Thanks

I would suggest the 2531.80.00, Cal1120 circa late 1990's early 2000's the full size automatic model at 41mm. The James Bond model with the wavy blue dial and excellent bracelet. Priced around £1250-1600

Cheers Martin 

20180805_093400.jpg

Edited by martinzx
Typo
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, martinzx said:

I would suggest the 2531.80.00 circa late 1990's early 2000's the full size automatic model at 41mm. The James Bond model with the wavy blue dial and excellent bracelet. :thumbsup:

Cheers Martin 

I agree with my esteemed forum colleague, but I am biased as I have the quartz variant as well as the automatic.

My auto below.

41mm and simply superb but so are many of the variants

large.IMGP0658.JPG.02e688ad1e0e68432aa191bebfcfd05c.JPG

• Thanks 1

have you thought of going for a nice pre bond auto in the bigger size? Something from around 1989, i think theyre much nicer. 

ive no affiliation and doubt this is still for sale as its an old ad and a qtz but it gives ideas of the style. Ive the pre bond in the smaller case.

http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com/watch/omega-watch/omega-seamaster-200-steel-pre-bond-1989/

There's always the chance you might find one of the all titanium SMPs. I have one that dates to 1999-2000. This is a full size model at 45mm, and of the two models available, black dial or blue, this is the more sought after electric blue version with the matching 'Bond' bracelet. The 'sword' hands are another paricularly nice feature. In the sunlight, the blue wave dial is simply stunnning.

large.20170730_131511.jpg.a4bd7cb8a2f441fc3e58e90a9069a379.jpg

large.20170730_125532.jpg.cb6ccd9d7987e0268c548d7e673b0857.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Nigelp, that's an interesting idea, and you make a good point about "trying the style". 

I have heard bad things about the vendor, but the principle holds.

Thanks Roger the Dodger, that certainly looks fantastic in the light! DId they make a mid size model? I think I could probably play hide and seek behind a 45mm!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boots said:

Thanks Nigelp, that's an interesting idea, and you make a good point about "trying the style". 

I have heard bad things about the vendor, but the principle holds.

welcome, there are a range of omegas to try that share some styling of the smp in a simpler style at lesser cost. The seamaster 120m from the late 90's which i've also had is lovely. Mine was the blue face. 

Related image

Edited by Nigelp
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Boots said:

Thanks Roger the Dodger, that certainly looks fantastic in the light! DId they make a mid size model? I think I could probably play hide and seek behind a 45mm!

I really must apologise...the watch is 41mm, 45mm was including the crowns...it wears much smaller than you might think. :sorry:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons I'll chuck the newish boy on the block the SMPc.

large.image.jpeg.eda70c79479e689f35dc0e809d2e55b4.jpeg

My friend Rob is not wrong that is a beauty.

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I really must apologise...the watch is 41mm, 45mm was including the crowns...it wears much smaller than you might think. :sorry:

Roger speaks the truth ( he always does) :)

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Boots said:

Thanks all, great input. I'm glad Rob suggested a co-axial, but is that outside the 2k budget?

I've seen used and mint go for just under 2k . Goldsmiths have one for £2195 @ £41.45 a month if that's any good , but they come up on the forums under that price   Seen on TZ for £1900 ish. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

I've seen used and mint go for just under 2k . Goldsmiths have one for £2195 @ £41.45 a month if that's any good , but they come up on the forums under that price   Seen on TZ for £1900 ish. 

Rob Also speaks the truth.:yes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

There's always the chance you might find one of the all titanium SMPs. I have one that dates to 1999-2000. This is a full size model at 45mm, and of the two models available, black dial or blue, this is the more sought after electric blue version with the matching 'Bond' bracelet. The 'sword' hands are another paricularly nice feature. In the sunlight, the blue wave dial is simply stunnning.

large.20170730_131511.jpg.a4bd7cb8a2f441fc3e58e90a9069a379.jpg

large.20170730_125532.jpg.cb6ccd9d7987e0268c548d7e673b0857.jpg

Always pined for one of these, but 45 mm? :O scratch that itch! The 41mm bond wears large enough as it is 

Edited by hughlle

Just now, hughlle said:

Always pined for one of these, but 45 mm? :O scratch that itch! 

I made a mistake, Hugh....go back and look. The watch is actually 41mm.....only 45mm if you include the two crowns. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I made a mistake, Hugh....go back and look. The watch is actually 41mm.....only 45mm if you include the two crowns. :thumbsup:

You could have just left me in resignation but peace. Back on my wish list it goes. God help my bank account. The electric blue is just so fantastic looking from the photos you relentlessly post. The sword hands certainly beat the skeleton hands, but I just don't want a black dial SMP. 

Edited by hughlle

what does a prebond in decent nick go for these days ? kicks the ass of those skeletal hands imho !!!

although an inky black ceramic I wouldn't kick out of the bed for farting :laugh:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hughlle said:

You could have just left me in resignation but peace. Back on my wish list it goes. God help my bank account. The electric blue is just so fantastic looking from the photos you relentlessly post. 

Roger does have good taste but you can't really go wrong with any of these models as you well know.:)

4 minutes ago, hughlle said:

You could have just left me in resignation but peace. Back on my wish list it goes. God help my bank account. The electric blue is just so fantastic looking from the photos you relentlessly post. The sword hands certainly beat the skeleton hands, but I just don't want a black dial SMP. 

One here, ol' pal....good price too....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-SEAMASTER-Professional-300-titanium-Automatic-Watch-2231-80-2231-80-Used/183491192280?epid=70286222&hash=item2ab8ed65d8:g:TfcAAOSwwAdbAMOf:rk:1:pf:0

2 hours ago, bill love said:

I do prefer the 'solid hand' ones much more I must confess, no disrespect intended.

cheers

b

None taken would be very boring if we all liked the same things, I like all of them, to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1