UK Watch Forum banner

Where to buy cheap watches

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  spinynorman 
#1 ·
Evening, I have recently joined as I have always had an interest in watches and need a hobby to focus my mind and fettling watches seemed to be the logical move. I am a complete amateur when it comes to repair, I can replace batteries/capacitors, resize bracelets etc but I am very keen to expand my skill set. I am a visual learner and tend to learn most effectively when I'm immersed in the task so I was just want advice on where to buy some starter projects. I obviously don't want to start with a Lecoultre or Omega, but I would like a cheap mechanical watch that I can dismantle, reassemble and get a feel for so I can start to understand the mechanisms and engineering involved before I start to actually repair and built my collection with watches that I have serviced, repaired and kept alive.

#2 ·
Get some working pocket watches with jewelled lever movements. The extra size will help you become accustomed to the parts and tools. You will need quite a bit of kit as time goes on, but good screwdrivers and tweezers are a must to start IMO - I favour Horotec for both of these. Invest well once rather than buying twice. If the hobby goes away from you a good set of tools still fetches good money.

You may want to look at courses at the BHI. Not cheap but very good. I've done basic watch (on a pocket watch, hence my reasoning), quartz and I'm booked onto another.

Reactions: Always"watching"
#4 ·
Pocket Watches are a good start as a bit easier to do size wise. Definitely find some decent screwdrivers, there are cheap ones actually some aren't bad others terrible (beware of cheap imitations). Its fun, frustrating and always a good supply of them on E-bay. A good cleaner ultra sonic cleaner , and some decent cleaning fluid. I use latex gloves and finger gloves.

As i am only a beginner myself a supply of Headache Tablets an essential lol.

#6 ·
in terms of buying watches in the first place, if you want mechanicals. Go on ebay, put 'vintage watch' in the search, select used, select mechanical and automatic and put in a limit of say £30, you'll find your hearts content. All sorts, swiss, Japanese, even the odd Services. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
in terms of buying watches in the first place, if you want mechanicals. Go on ebay, put 'vintage watch' in the search, select used, select mechanical and automatic and put in a limit of say £30, you'll find your hearts content. All sorts, swiss, Japanese, even the odd Services.
Also might be worth adding "spares repairs" to your ebay search description, which should bring up plenty of cheapies to practice on :biggrin:

For example, a search for "mechanical watches spares repairs" brings up 186 results, and a search "pocket watches spares repairs" brings up 840.

Good luck anyway :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I always suggest buying two or more of the same scrap or used movements, so to have spare parts and more.

Also taking picture at each stage of strip down.

Avoid investing money at the begining.

Advantages are many a few of which are;

If you forget what goes where, you have another exact one as ready reference.

You got spare parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.