UK Watch Forum banner

oris opinions.

7K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Manxpot 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have actually looked at old threads on them but i`ll ask anyway, and that is what do you guys think of Oris watches, as some of you will probably be aware they only make mechanical watches, no batteries.I get the feeling they`ll be well liked and respected on here, more a kind of workhorse watch rather than luxury, but certainly not cheap.

Its just that i`ve got my eye on one of the Oris aquis range, the strap is black rubber with metal clasp, stainless steel case, black face, black ceramic bezel, and orange superluminova markers and hands....oh and with a date window at 6.00.Undersated but a sure head turner at the same time.Sorry theres no pic but its easy enough to take a peak!

Thanks.

#2 ·
or-1323-oris-watch-aquis-date-01-733-773

This one?

Oris is owned by Swatch has long history and uses ETA movement so they're all workhorses. If I found a good deal on the watch above then I'd treasure it, no complaints. Love the orange hands and marker, hate the strap (too shouty with logo) but not a deal breaker as you can always swap it out.

I've never owned an Oris, I think they're price point is weird because they kind of a fill the gap between the brands inside the Swatch group. They're just that little bit more expensive than the Hamilton-Certina-Tissot and obviously below the Omega-Blancpain-Glashütte Original range. And there lots more ETA movement brands that makes good diver/sports watch at the £200-800 range (think Steinhart, Christopher Ward, Deep Blue, Seiko etc).

Personal circumstance I guess, at £1400 (which is what this watch costs) it needs to be something I know I'll keep for a long time because I know it'll hurt if I'd decided to sell it on. I've just never found anything from Oris that makes me love it so much that makes me feel that way to take the punt, again just personal view. I can totally see myself owning one at some point.

#6 ·
Oris is owned by Swatch has long history and uses ETA movement so they're all workhorses. If I found a good deal on the watch above then I'd treasure it, no complaints. Love the orange hands and marker, hate the strap (too shouty with logo) but not a deal breaker as you can always swap it out.

I've never owned an Oris, I think they're price point is weird because they kind of a fill the gap between the brands inside the Swatch group. They're just that little bit more expensive than the Hamilton-Certina-Tissot and obviously below the Omega-Blancpain-Glashütte Original range. And there lots more ETA movement brands that makes good diver/sports watch at the £200-800 range (think Steinhart, Christopher Ward, Deep Blue, Seiko etc).

Personal circumstance I guess, at £1400 (which is what this watch costs) it needs to be something I know I'll keep for a long time because I know it'll hurt if I'd decided to sell it on. I've just never found anything from Oris that makes me love it so much that makes me feel that way to take the punt, again just personal view. I can totally see myself owning one at some point.
Oris is an independant company - not owned by Swatch! More reason to buy one rather than feed the corporate behemoth that is Swatch. Great watches - I've had a few and always found them to be excellent watches at reasonable prices.

#4 ·
Mine...

27808952248_17f412d492_o_d.jpg

I simply adore it and cannot fault it in any way what to ever; not even in the slightest! I think they punch WELL above their weight for the price point.

Came with the bracelet and the rubber but I moved the rubber on, just not for me. The bracelet is sublime and head and shoulders above anything else I have seen / held.

I could easily own a few if money was no object...

Chronoris and a few variants of the 65 tickle my fancy.

#7 ·
Mine...

I simply adore it and cannot fault it in any way what to ever; not even in the slightest! I think they punch WELL above their weight for the price point.

Came with the bracelet and the rubber but I moved the rubber on, just not for me. The bracelet is sublime and head and shoulders above anything else I have seen / held.

I could easily own a few if money was no object...

Chronoris and a few variants of the 65 tickle my fancy.
I want one of these now... haha

#20 ·
Great value watches.

Some negatives :

Non standard lugs on some watches , small and badly placed date windows to fit movements, many wear very heavy

Some positives :

Unique styling , great prices , incredible build quality.

I have tried on many , never bought one..... but I admire them hugely.
Pretty much sums them up in my eyes. The Aquis is a GORGEOUS watch and I highly recommend you try one one. Yes they are heavy but they are lovely although in the end, I did buy something else. If one came up now at the right price I'd probably snap it up.

The orange one further up the thread is a beauty.

As for the strap issue...I agree with this statement:

This won't be a concern, the bracelet is sublime, it won't need changing!

#22 ·
I have actually looked at old threads on them but i`ll ask anyway, and that is what do you guys think of Oris watches, as some of you will probably be aware they only make mechanical watches, no batteries.I get the feeling they`ll be well liked and respected on here, more a kind of workhorse watch rather than luxury, but certainly not cheap.

Its just that i`ve got my eye on one of the Oris aquis range, the strap is black rubber with metal clasp, stainless steel case, black face, black ceramic bezel, and orange superluminova markers and hands....oh and with a date window at 6.00.Undersated but a sure head turner at the same time.Sorry theres no pic but its easy enough to take a peak!

Thanks.
Hi Sabailand.

I own an Oris Aquis small second which I've had for a couple of years now. All I can say is that I love it. Fairly large watch, bullet proof bracelet strap and as accurate as you might expect. I would have no hesitation in recommending one. I currently like the Oris, Big Crown Propilot. I need to get saving first.

Regards, Paul.

Mine's my daily wearer. Comfortable and not too in your face. The clasp is one of the nicest I've seen as well.

2-B233971-457-A-4-FCB-8-F6-E-2170-E6-EFB

F6284-D63-042-A-4798-B8-F5-5-F699-BFA7-E

290-F0-A78-F878-4935-92-CB-B7-EFF8-DA3-B
I've just commented on this watch. Absolutely love it.

#25 ·
I have this fine pair...

ARTELIER, cal.623 (ETA 2859-2) 27 Jewels

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

BIG CROWN TELEMETER CHRONOGRAPH, cal.674 (modified Valjoux cal. 7750) 25 Jewels.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Jewellery

Imo they are excellent watches & well worth the price I paid for them :thumbs_up:

Attachments

Reactions: Boots and sabailand
#32 ·
Just an update, pulled the trigger this morning at `berrys` in Leeds, didnt have this particular model in stock so left a deposit and will pick up sometime next week.This time last week i had no intention of buying a watch, it was a mate of mine who showed me a picture of a TAG F1 on his phone he was buying next day, the site had the watch i`ve just bought and i instantly took a liking to it. Researched lots of reviews and various info and took the plunge, all happened so fast! :laugh:

#34 ·
#35 ·
Quick one... Has anyone seen Oris (or irises/ ori for the plural!) Being faked?
I think there isn't a watch brand that isn't faked - it's not just the very top-end stuff. Plenty of Tissot and Seiko fakes out there, for example. Plenty of nicked stuff too. That's not to say that the ebay example is a fake or in any way dodgy - the photos look stock ones, so I couldn't comment. That watch is SRP £1450 in the UK. Should be possible to get it under £1200. Take the VAT off and you're at about £950. You can see where this is going...

#37 ·
I did look closely at an Aquis before buying something else and my local AD had them on sale at the time (because he was canceling his Oris account due to low volumes). After reading what other people had posted about Oris I was expecting something special but was very underwhelmed. Nice build quality, but not exceptional, cheap SW-200 movements (don't care if they put a red rotor on) and proprietary braclets/straps.

Much better value out there IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.