• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

Moritz Grossmann

Yesterday I posted the story of my recent trip to Glashütte, together with a poor photo of the watches I took on the holiday. Several comments were made about the fact that there was a Moritz Grossmann in the photo, and to the effect that they were not much seen on this forum.

As I'm sure I'm not the only forum member to own one, I thought a thread for displaying these IMHO lovely watches might be in order.

First, perhaps, some background. Moritz Grossmann (the man  --  1826-85) was, in the mid-nineteenth century, one of the four founding fathers of watchmaking in Glashütte  --  and is revered there almost as much as Ferdinand Adolf Lange. 
Like the company which bears Lange's name, the current watchmaking firm called Grossmann was founded in Glashütte after German reunification (the only significant company in Glashütte with a corporate history going back before reunification is GO (which is presumably why it has the "Original" in its name)). Lange is now twenty eight years old, Grossmann is only ten. However, all companies in the town rely on the unbroken tradition of 170 years of watchmaking skill and innovation in Glashütte  --  it's just the corporate structures which have been messed up more than once!
Grossmann was founded, and is still run, by Christine Hutter (yes, a lady) who had previously been with both ALS and GO.

So, to my watch (and, of course the usual gratuitous pics).

Mine is very much a "entry level" MG  --  a fact necessitated by my self-imposed watch buying rules. But it is, to my eye, both beautiful and interesting  --  and, despite being a "lo-beat" movement, it is the most accurate mechanical piece in my collection. It is an Atum Pure M (MG-000703), featuring MG's in house Calibre 201.0, and a pretty industrial finish (though extremely nicely finished). Nominally, it is a limited edition of 50 units  --  but, as MG produces only about 500 watches per year, pretty much anything from the company is fairly exclusive. Unlike some companies, MG do at least provide an "entry level" range to allow proles like me to own one :devilish:

Fuller details can be found here: https://www.grossmann-uhren.com/collection/atum-pure-m/?lang=en

h3ZkAMN.jpg

NWNMOuI.jpg

oeOWE8t.jpg

yfxYUS3.jpg

mhl1GDp.jpg

KybOvaX.jpg

0Av0vPH.jpg

WrDyA4X.jpg

niShEDD.jpg

MUtprBa.jpg

The warranty card bears no dealer stamp because this is a factory supplied model. The flamboyant signature is that of Christine Hutter, founder and CEO.

I'd love to see other members' MGs . . . . . . . . . .

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, yokel said:

I'd love to see other members' MGs . . . . . . . . . .

:whistle::tumbleweed:

I could be and hope i'm wrong. But they just wouldn't be the sort of watches en masse 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, r-macus said:

wouldn't be . . . . . en masse 

With an annual production of 500 watches, it's hardly likely  --  but there may be a few :tongue:

I have been weak and bought another of these gorgeous things.

Specification (copied from the MG Website here):

Reference:                  MG-000460
Case:                          750/000 rose gold
Dial:                            Argenté
Hands:                        Hand-crafted, steel, anneald to a brown-violet hue

• Movement                Manufacture calibre 100.2, manually wound, adjusted in five positions
  • No. of parts              227
  • No. of jewels            26 jewels, 3 of which in screwed gold chatons
  • Escapement             Lever escapement
  • Oscillator                  Shock-absorbed Grossmann balance with 4 inertia and 2 poising screws, Nivarox 1 balance spring with No. 80 Breguet terminal curve, Gerstenberger geometry
  • Balance                    Diameter 14.2 mm, frequency 18,000 semi-oscillations per hour
  • Power reserve          42 hours when fully wound
  • Functions                  Hours and minutes, subsidiary seconds with stop seconds, Grossmann winder with pusher, power-reserve indicator
  • Special features        Grossmann balance;
  •                                       lateral pusher for disabling the handsetting mode and starting the movement;
  •                                       bar-shaped power-reserve indicator with two-coloured display segment driven by a planetary gearing system;
  •                                       space saving and modified Glashütte stop-work with backlash; 
                                          adjustment with Grossmann micrometer screw on a cantilevered balance cock;
  •                                       Pillar movement with 2/3 plate and frame pillars in untreated German silver, 2/3 plate, balance cock and escape-wheel cock hand-engraved;
  •                                       broad horizontal Glashütte ribbing, 3-band snailing on the ratchet wheel,
  •                                       raised gold chatons with pan-head screws;
  •                                       separately removable clutch winder;
  •                                       stop seconds for handsetting
  • Operating elements   Crown in 750/000 gold to wind the watch and set the time, pusher in 750/000 gold to start the movement
  • Case dimensions       Diameter: 41.0 mm, height: 11.65 mm
  • Movement size          Diameter: 36.4 mm, height: 5.4 mm
  • Case                         Three-part, precious metal
  • Dial                           Solid silver, with Arabic numerals
  • Hands                       Hand-crafted, steel or stainless steel
  • Crystal / back            Sapphire crystal, anti-reflection-coated on one side
  • Strap                         Hand-stitched alligator with precious metal butterfly (deployant) clasp

1cMoPZu.jpg

xnNMdoc.jpg

CprpNpj.jpg

6pz8bka.jpg

LI7EwF0.jpg

YIOV4yl.jpg

HGfqRrf.jpg

bQa0m28.jpg

7zW3s2G.jpg

yzrIDeZ.jpg

vHIgAnz.jpg

3GrrHie.jpg

Edited by yokel
  • Like 1

Re-reading this contribution, I realise that I did not include a "full face" photo of the incredibly pretty movement  --  corrected below.

Interesting that, presumably for stylistic reasons, MG uses "clear" jewels.

IfrBZrA.jpg

Being perverse, I think the standard of manufacture and workmanship is at least as good as that from ALS (a hundred metres away in the village of Glashütte).

Another eulogy. The more I get used to MG watches, and the more I wear them, and the more I look at them through the loupe, the more impressed I become. 

Simply excellent design and workmanship in my preferred style of "pocket watches shrunk for the wrist.

A couple more pics of the super elegant Benu for good measure . . . . .

AiuhIFN.jpg

41T11nQ.jpg

ufVKCSQ.jpg

I know I'm the only member of this forum who owns an MG  --  but I'm sufficiently addicted that I'm trying to negotiate a third for my factory visit next month :ooops:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

never heard of them, looks ok

just out of interest are they as good and exclusive as @BondandBigM's LV? they look very posh!

dont worry rhetorical question i know theres nothing like bonds rolex apart from maybe a seiko 5 

Yours look better than that even to my untrained eye, They look like you had to cough up a bit for them. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

never heard of them, looks ok

just out of interest are they as good and exclusive as @BondandBigM's LV? they look very posh!

dont worry rhetorical question i know theres nothing like bonds rolex apart from maybe a seiko 5 

Yours look better than that even to my untrained eye, They look like you had to cough up a bit for them. 

Nigel, I'm sure you know that most watch aficionados will tell you that nothing is as good as a Rolex :tongue:

Luckily, some of us like to support other manufacturers  --  perverse as we are.

Different tastes. Rolex produces around one million watches per year (the company doesn't publish numbers, but COSC does!). Moritz Grossmann makes just over four hundred.

The difference is that, with MG, if you have a question it will be answered by the same person pretty much every time. I'm going to visit next month and, though I haven't requested it, it is quite possible that I'll meet the MD. That would be unlikely with Rolex.

If you have three minutes to spare, you could watch the pretty, but not very informative official manufacturing video:  

However, complete with dreadful music and bitten finger nails, this is rather less professional video is more to the point:  

• Thanks 1

sumptuous
splendid and expensive-looking.

synonyms: lavish, luxurious, deluxe, opulent, magnificent, resplendent, gorgeous, splendid, grand, extravagant, lush, lavishly appointed, palatial, princely, rich, costly, expensive, impressive, imposing;
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, yokel said:

Different tastes. Rolex produces around one million watches per year

12 hours ago, yokel said:

Moritz Grossmann makes just over four hundred.

Im with you now, so Rolex are like the Working class Sunday best, because there are lots of them and the MG, is like what can I say? The hand built proper one that only get sold to special clients, whereas any bloke can wander in and buy a rolex once you've got to the top of the waiting list because there are so many ordinary fawk on it. A bit like putting you on the NHS waiting list for your haemorrhoids doing then?  So thats why it takes ages and they have a long waiting list they produce millions but there are more millions of people wanting one like waiting for your op to come up on the NHS rather than going the MG private route in Harley Street, which you get quickly but theres only a few hundred can afford it, unlike the NHS one which is just a few quid for a prescription. Im with you mate. 

Edited by Nigelp

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

Im with you now, so Rolex are like the Working class Sunday best, because there are lots of them and the MG, is like what can I say? The hand built proper one that only get sold to special clients, whereas any bloke can wander in and buy a rolex once you've got to the top of the waiting list because there are so many ordinary fawk on it. A bit like putting you on the NHS waiting list for your haemorrhoids doing then?  So thats why it takes ages and they have a long waiting list they produce millions but there are more millions of people wanting one like waiting for your op to come up on the NHS rather than going the MG private route in Harley Street, which you get quickly but theres only a few hundred can afford it, unlike the NHS one which is just a few quid for a prescription. Im with you mate. 

Not totally sure that the analogy is totally apposite, Nigel, as I'm sure you can spend as much on a Rolex as on an MG  --  but, apart from that, just how I look at it :yes:

• Thanks 1

Just now, yokel said:

Not totally sure that the analogy is totally apposite, Nigel, as I'm sure you can spend as much on a Rolex as on an MG  --  but, apart from that, just how I look at it :yes:

blimey and they are about as rare as a daisy! Must be combing it in. 

some clever business going on there, thats what @JonnyOldBoy has been on about then eh?

@yokel it's sumptuous. The watch offers up its delights - it's fairly starchy but smart from the front, whilst from the rear you can see everything. I am reminded of Patrick Stewart in "Extras". To modestly reserve such beauty is perhaps the antithesis of certain aspirational brands.

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

@yokel it's sumptuous. The watch offers up its delights - it's fairly starchy but smart from the front, whilst from the rear you can see everything. I am reminded of Patrick Stewart in "Extras". To modestly reserve such beauty is perhaps the antithesis of certain aspirational brands.

Bist Du auch Mitglied beim Uhrforum.de?

1 minute ago, yokel said:

Bist Du auch Mitglied beim Uhrforum.de?

I am not, given I'm fairly challenged by foreign languages :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I am not, given I'm fairly challenged by foreign languages :biggrin:

The video clip turned up in German  --  i assumed you had understood it. Must admit it sounds a bit odd for a good Huddersfield lad :yes:

The video clip turned up in German  --  i assumed you had understood it. Must admit it sounds a bit odd for a good Huddersfield lad :yes:

I have a good memory for the scene - oddly enough I couldn't find a clip in English and thought that provident given your German roots. If I am mistaken on that we shall brush it under the carpet :) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I have a good memory for the scene - oddly enough I couldn't find a clip in English and thought that provident given your German roots. If I am mistaken on that we shall brush it under the carpet :) 

No German ancestry. I just like the country as a whole  --  and one small village near Dresden in particular :)

• Thanks 1

No German ancestry. I just like the country as a whole  --  and one small village near Dresden in particular :)

I'll get my broom if you can lift the carpet :) 

• Haha 2