• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
enfuseeast

running fast after retarding? magnetized?

hi...have just bought a ralco vintage watch off ebay....is running about 15 mins fast each day ...have tried moving regulator over to slow/retard with no effect??? ...does this sound like a magnetized watch problem??? have tried moving watch over compass... but my compass has about a 1cm gap between the glass and needle so cant be sure ...have ordered a cheap demagnetizer...do i just place watch on the surface plate and lift off slowly to demagnetize??...if this doesnt solve the problem...will watch need to be adjusted??any help much appreciated

15 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

hi...have just bought a ralco vintage watch off ebay....is running about 15 mins fast each day ...have tried moving regulator over to slow/retard with no effect??? ...does this sound like a magnetized watch problem??? have tried moving watch over compass... but my compass has about a 1cm gap between the glass and needle so cant be sure ...have ordered a cheap demagnetizer...do i just place watch on the surface plate and lift off slowly to demagnetize??...if this doesnt solve the problem...will watch need to be adjusted??any help much appreciated

Sounds like it's requiring some professional attention. It could be the balance spring has been "coiled" (tangled),

220px-Pocket_Watch_Balance_Wheel.jpg

but unless you really know what you are doing, best left to a professional. :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

I would imagine it needs a service , a magnetised watch will run fast as the amplitude is low but the same goes for a watch in need of a service . The regulator won't have an effect on that sort of error (15mins a day) they are to fine tune a matter of seconds per day error. 

• Like 1

thanks wrench...will try to de magnetize....but if that doesn't work...how much do you think it would cost to remedy if it is a coiled balance spring....watch was  only £35 ...but if i spend an extra £30 on the watch...i'm into it for £75 quid...and although it is a nice watch with a nice movement...perhaps the investment may not be worth it ....15 mins per day i can live with on the watch but i'm sure the watch wont generate 1.5 pence per day as an investment....lol...time will tell

thanks andy also...would i get a service for £30

£30 for a service? Put yourself in the Watch repairers position I doubt you would do it fir that.

£60 minimum I would say and allow for any parts needed.

That's on the cheap side many repairers charge a lot more than that.

Simon2 is your best bet he does a good job for a fare price and won't rip you off.

A quick degrease of the complete balance and oil to it's jewel holes should improve this. I don't generally offer to do ,part repairs, of this type. But for an inexpensive watch it's worth a try. I would also include a zap in my " very strong" demagnetiser. If your happy to pay the return postage, I'll fix it for you as a gift from TWF.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

thanks guys....will wait for de magnetizer to arrive ....give it a try with that....and if no joy....will take you up on your kind offer simon if you sure that's ok... many thanks

simon ....can you re- lume watch hands to match the face?...have 1940s gold cased watch...with lume missing...tried to msg you but said you dont receive msgs...:)

that's strange as I receive message all the time, 

yes I can re-lume hands to match the face no problem,  

if you would like to e mail me on 

essexclockandwatch@hotmail.com

id be happy to help you get this sent over to me 

thank you 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 05:43, enfuseeast said:

thanks guys....will wait for de magnetizer to arrive ....give it a try with that....and if no joy....will take you up on your kind offer simon if you sure that's ok... many thanks

best check the proceedures  for using a de magnetizer ,   on a watch,   first.  vin

hi simon...have posted the ralco and gold cased watch as advised by your secretary...hope you can work your magic...many thanks:notworthy:

oh and demagnetizer hasn't arrived yet so havent tried it on the ralco....ill leave it in your capable hands for a zap in your machine :yes:

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:00, vinn said:

best check the proceedures  for using a de magnetizer ,   on a watch,   first.  vin

it is proper to remove the balance and demagitizs it separately.   this also allows you to "run the gear train.  good luck.  vin