• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi r-macus! your watches sound awesome, I have a team leader and its one of my favorites in my collection. When I first got it I was a little disappointed at the lume but then I realized what all Luminox watches are made for. Military and enforcement, if you still have the docs that came with your watch theres a list of them! The cells are not meant to be bright, as this could give away your position. I haven't had a moment yet that I could not read the time on my watch. Anyway enjoy your lovely timepieces and maybe next time you put your sea turtle on you might think of it slightly differently! Take care.

I stand to be corrected here, dear @vstromer650, but one of the major selling points for Luminox watches has been that the lume is bright and constant rather than dim. Luminox watches use tritium tube technology where the lume is provided by sealed glass tubes containing tritium gas that are coated with a phosphor on the inner layer. These watches will be luminous for a number of years, but because the half-life of tritium is relatively short the lume will slowly die and the tubes will eventually need to be replaced. I believe that Luminox guarantee the lume brightness for a certain period of time.

I have noticed on the internet that a number of problem issues with Luminox watches have been raised, (including the lume being too bright for night time military ops) with John Flavin summarizing a number of points in his piece on Quora posted on 26 September and titled, "what quality is a Luminox watch?" I myself have never handled a Luminox watch, and make no personal statement here as to their quality or value for money - I am sure that Luminox has a following and I am not here to sabotage that.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Always "watching", thank you for your input!! I totally respect and agree with what you are saying and the research that you have put in. I can only go by the Luminox that I own, like I said I was a little disappointed with the lume on my watch at first, then I read the booklets that came with it and then I wore my watch in the evening and I noticed that I could read the watch in any light situation. On my watch the lume is not too bright, its enough to easily read but not so bright that its a torch hanging off your wrist. The quality of my watch seems very good, its quite a tough watch and for the value for money, well I wouldn't have paid the £785 that I have seen my watch selling for. But I am over the moon paying £300, so I think there is a lot worse things you could put on your wrist, like handcuffs if you get on the wrong side of the law :laughing2dw:  As I work nightshift, its time for me to hit the sack and leave before my bad sense of humour gets the better of me. Take care!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, vstromer...At the time I was more into mechanicals than quartz, and it just felt so light. Also, I found the tritium gas tubes weren't what I was used to...I prefer brighter lume, but I realise now this is how/why it was used. Too bright a lume on a forces watch wouldn't be very covert!

To put pictures on the forum, you need to use a 3rd party hosting site such as Flikr or Imgur...you can't post direct from your device. Some members use an app called Tapatalk, which seems to work most of the time. The best way, however, is to join the Gallery here on the forum. It costs £5 per year (just over 1p per day) and you can create albums and upload to them then paste the pics straight into your posts. You can also copy and post the pics onto other places/forums if you wish. You will find the Gallery upgrade about halfway down the home page on the right, and there are tips on using it pinned at the top of the Watch Discussion forum along with tips for 3rd party sites if you wish to use them. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got one on right now. Here's a photo from earlier in the year when I first got it.

large.20180827_122449.jpg.e57a3766bc5bd7809472b0a2f5b79c0b.jpg

The lume (or more accurately the tritium tubes) don't seem to glow terribly brightly in low light but when you seem them in the dark they are plenty bright enough. A Seiko diver will kick their butts for about 30 - 60 mins but then the Luminox will take over.

This retails at close to £400. Sapphire crystal, quartz, 200m (no screw down crown though) and I believe it's made of carbon fibre. Got it from Amazon Warehouse who said it had a small mark on the casing (I have not been able to find it) for £165. Bargain of the year!!! Great watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou, Rodger!, awesome help. I will have a go in the new year after my head (and body!) recover from the festive period, have a good one!

That's a great looking watch Kanab22, I really like the raised bits on the bezel and you've got a tube on the second hand too! Thanks for posting and have a good one!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:35, Roger the Dodger said:

Hi, vstromer...At the time I was more into mechanicals than quartz, and it just felt so light. Also, I found the tritium gas tubes weren't what I was used to...I prefer brighter lume, but I realise now this is how/why it was used. Too bright a lume on a forces watch wouldn't be very covert!

To put pictures on the forum, you need to use a 3rd party hosting site such as Flikr or Imgur...you can't post direct from your device. Some members use an app called Tapatalk, which seems to work most of the time. The best way, however, is to join the Gallery here on the forum. It costs £5 per year (just over 1p per day) and you can create albums and upload to them then paste the pics straight into your posts. You can also copy and post the pics onto other places/forums if you wish. You will find the Gallery upgrade about halfway down the home page on the right, and there are tips on using it pinned at the top of the Watch Discussion forum along with tips for 3rd party sites if you wish to use them. :thumbsup:

Hi again Rodger! I have been looking for the gallery upgrade as you suggested and I just cant find it, I even had a look at the "how to" bit and I cant even click on the link, it says that I don't have permission to use it!

1 hour ago, vstromer650 said:

Hi again Rodger! I have been looking for the gallery upgrade as you suggested and I just cant find it, I even had a look at the "how to" bit and I cant even click on the link, it says that I don't have permission to use it!

You may need to acheive 50 posts in order to use it...most of the forum features like the private messaging system, adding an avatar and being able to visit the sales section require a member to get to 50. This is mainly done to prevent one post wonders visiting these priviledges and then disappearing never to be seen again.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:21, Roger the Dodger said:

You may need to acheive 50 posts in order to use it...most of the forum features like the private messaging system, adding an avatar and being able to visit the sales section require a member to get to 50. This is mainly done to prevent one post wonders visiting these priviledges and then disappearing never to be seen again.

Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks Rodger! I've got a little bit to go then.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:21, Roger the Dodger said:

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:36, Dan86 said:

Follow a few YouTube watch guys. Noone seems to like a Luminox....however I love mine! Navy Seal has done me good.
ad446239a358abd4643262d2f2cb57ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, vstromer650 said:

Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks Rodger! I've got a little bit to go then.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:36, Dan86 said:

Follow a few YouTube watch guys. Noone seems to like a Luminox....however I love mine! Navy Seal has done me good.
ad446239a358abd4643262d2f2cb57ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Awsome watch! and happy that you enjoy it so much! The Navy Seal seems a popular model, I will put a photo of my watch on when I get to 50.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My late father gifted me this one for my 21st (now 33)

It’s  absolutely battered but it still gets worn and has great sentiment. Pretty big at around 44mm but wears quite nicely on a single pass MKS nato

It’s a 3400series F117 edition 

https://flic.kr/p/2ktqY3x

My late father gifted me this one for my 21st (now 33)

It’s  absolutely battered but it still gets worn and has great sentiment. Pretty big at around 44mm but wears quite nicely on a single pass MKS nato

It’s a 3400series F117 edition 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50849887747_128f80530b_z.jpg