• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
bdalg1

Thoughts on Glycine

I have been looking at a new addition to my collection (haven’t we all!!) and I like the look of the glycine range, well the more traditional airman type and wondered what people’s opinion on them is. They look well built at a good price point. I have seen a thread on here about them but it is very old! TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love em - great history, different design, well made, good value... The hands particularly on (at least some of) the new ones are nasty though. Still looking out for one but it needs to be <40mm and pre-takeover for me.

• Like 1

I'm currently looking at the brand as I'm on the hunt for GMT watch and stumbled on the Airman models.

I really like the Airman 1 36mm. But can't decide now between the purist or the GMT.

I love the fact this model has been around so long and the history behind it. Also they seem to have been as faithful as possible with the 're-issue.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, degsey said:

I'm currently looking at the brand as I'm on the hunt for GMT watch and stumbled on the Airman models.

I really like the Airman 1 36mm. But can't decide now between the purist or the GMT.

I love the fact this model has been around so long and the history behind it. Also they seem to have been as faithful as possible with the 're-issue.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I had a purist Airman 1 and it takes a bit of getting used to reading the time quickly, but it does have a cleaner dial.

I now have the GMT version and the 36mm wears well, I think

43733600190_f507e41f38_c.jpg

The 38mm is a bit chunkier

38810182851_743fbf8841_c.jpg

And anything over this gets a bit silly.

I did have a SST06 Pumpkin and that was huge. The SST12 is slightly smaller but still big. Great looking watch though

43831069210_6a6cc7c61f_c.jpg

• Like 4

I can vouch for the Base 22. I actually love the 24hr dial and don’t understand why all watches don’t have this! So much easier to set the time (and date).

Size wise it’s fine on my small wrist but any larger would be too much for me. It’s short lugs and low profile work in its favour. 

The locking time zone bezel harks back to the vintage version but it feels a bit old fashioned on such a modern feeling watch imo. Overall build quality is good, keeps great time, drilled lugs etc. Can’t vouch for the other models but this works for me. A GMT hand would be nice though...

YlRviIh.jpg

RdBPdJc.jpg

Can anyone detect a theme? :whistle::drinks:

• Like 2

I owned many Glycine watches in the past when the prices were more reasonable. As has been mentioned sizing can be an issue, there's a lot of big watches in their portfolio. The designs seem to have become more ornate which isn't something I like.

Not sure what further influence new owners, Invicta, will have on design and quality.

Maybe try and get an older pre-owned Glycine from their independent days?  

• Like 1

On 31/10/2018 at 13:39, it'salivejim said:

I had a purist Airman 1 and it takes a bit of getting used to reading the time quickly, but it does have a cleaner dial.

I now have the GMT version and the 36mm wears well, I think

43733600190_f507e41f38_c.jpg

The 38mm is a bit chunkier

38810182851_743fbf8841_c.jpg

And anything over this gets a bit silly.

I did have a SST06 Pumpkin and that was huge. The SST12 is slightly smaller but still big. Great looking watch though

43831069210_6a6cc7c61f_c.jpg

Love the airman 36mm. Not sure about the SST12!!!

Glycine often seem to appear on Massdrop at very good prices.  Not bought one yet, but have been tempted by both the Combat 6 and the Airman.

Is the difference between the regular and purist Airman the GMT hand?

5 hours ago, andyd30 said:

Glycine often seem to appear on Massdrop at very good prices.  Not bought one yet, but have been tempted by both the Combat 6 and the Airman.

Is the difference between the regular and purist Airman the GMT hand?

The purist is a true 24 hour watch which allows you to read a second time zone from the bezel while the three hand version has a 24 hour gmt hand with the regular hour hand operating as a standard 12 hour watch. I didn't like the GMT version when I had one, much preferred the purist although it isn't as instinctive for telling the time

On 31/10/2018 at 07:28, Seikotherapy said:

I can vouch for the Base 22. I actually love the 24hr dial and don’t understand why all watches don’t have this! So much easier to set the time (and date).

Size wise it’s fine on my small wrist but any larger would be too much for me. It’s short lugs and low profile work in its favour. 

The locking time zone bezel harks back to the vintage version but it feels a bit old fashioned on such a modern feeling watch imo. Overall build quality is good, keeps great time, drilled lugs etc. Can’t vouch for the other models but this works for me. A GMT hand would be nice though...

YlRviIh.jpg

RdBPdJc.jpg

Can anyone detect a theme? :whistle::drinks:

May I ask what spring bars you're using with your NATOs? Just got my Base 22, which arrived with shoulderless bars. I want to get extra but most seem to have .9mm tips and I think the Glycine drilled lugs are more like a "standard" ~.8mm. 

Or do you just use flanged spring bars?