• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Selling watches to fund another

mrzee

I have been spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at vintage (sixties/seventies) watches over the last couple of weeks. This has left me really, really, really wanting a vintage omega deville or seamaster or a vintage rado diastar or even a vintage junghans.

However, to fund the new purchase (and keep the missus happy) I'd probably need to pass on a couple of watches. So my question is this...Do you routinely flip watches when the next must have comes along? Do you get sellers regret? (this is what I'm more worried about) Or should I just buy the watch and if my missus asks, tell her I've sold some anyway.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I have been spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at vintage (sixties/seventies) watches over the last couple of weeks. This has left me really, really, really wanting a vintage omega deville or seamaster or a vintage rado diastar or even a vintage junghans.

However, to fund the new purchase (and keep the missus happy) I'd probably need to pass on a couple of watches. So my question is this...Do you routinely flip watches when the next must have comes along? Do you get sellers regret? (this is what I'm more worried about) Or should I just buy the watch and if my missus asks, tell her I've sold some anyway.

I flip to buy mostly , mainly because I only wear 4 or 5 watches. You may find that if you secure a watch that is fabulous and that you really really really wanted.... then you will wear it a lot and then move on something(s) that will from then on get less wear.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mrzee said:

However, to fund the new purchase Do you routinely flip watches when the next must have comes along...

No !

6 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I have been spending an healthy amount of time looking at vintage (sixties/seventies) watches over the last couple of weeks. This has left me really, really, really wanting a vintage watch.

Good man. :yes:

:thumbsup:

• Haha 4

Buy one and tell your wife you sold some watches to a bloke at work to cover the cost sounds like the best idea.

I have sold watches in the past and regretted it later. I sold a very nice Rolex Explorer 2 Orange hand watch to a very "relaxed" forum member from ooop north. 

• Thanks 1

I've not sold a watch personally, only given away a few that I stopped wearing (nothing expensive, I'm not stupid). However since becoming a member here, I have slowly changed my taste or should I say, I now really want very good/expensive/quality watches instead of the multitude of old tut that I mostly have. I would have to think long and hard about which to off load though.

I've often thought of getting rid of everything except my few good'ens and having just one box of nice watches and sticking to that number. It's very hard to take the leap though and I expect sellers regret will inevitably come into play. One big advantage of having loads of watches is that the other half can be routinely deceived about 'new' ones coming in (it's an old one with a strap change... that sort of thing) has worked for me many a time!

Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

Edited by Autonomous
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mrzee said:

Mmm.  Seller's regret :hmmm9uh:?  I've slimmed down my 'collection' vastly.  In doing so, there's only one I wish I'd kept - a Rado Centrix (yes, really :yes:).  Losing money on watches is almost inevitable (unless you have your own working TARDIS to go back to 1988 and buy every Rolex you can find :laugh:), so if you want something else outside the cash budget for me there's no alternative but to flip and take the hit...or do nothing:tumbleweed:.

With Black Friday and Xmas coming up and the pre-post-Xmas sales there'll be much to temp us all.  Best be straight with the missus - you wouldn't want to come home one day and find your watches flattened on your driveway :swoon::laugh::laugh:.

• Haha 2

Never sold a watch but given some away with no regrets. If you are worried about regrets then why not put the ones you are thinking of selling away somewhere (get the wife to hide them) - then is you have not missed them after a few days/weeks/months you can sell them to fund the new purchase. Always best to be honest with the `other half'.

• Like 1

The way I would look at it...

Sell unwanted/unused watches (or other things!) to help fund something that you really want! I had a clear out earlier this year, and over the course of a month I had enough to pay for a long weekend break and some art! 

It was from stuff I no longer wanted or needed, so I feel like it didn’t really cost me anything! (Just time!)

• Like 1

i buy and flip buy and flip!

Recently sold  a Rolex and an Oris, and a couple of others...to buy?

New windows and new radiators!  Im now down to only about 8 watches I think!

I have had watches, which Ive sworn are "keepers"...........only of course, to later flip them!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrzee said:

So my question is this...Do you routinely flip watches when the next must have comes along? 

Why do you think I had to start a business to justify the incoming watches?  :biggrin:

Sellers regret - Always!  I've just had an enquiry on a watch, and before they make their mind up I have strapped it on to wear, possibly for the last time.

60s/70s watches?  Add Mido and Longines to your list too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

moved watches on because I wanted something else , yes, but now I am sticking to 12 max I will have to sell to fund or as I have just done part exchanged one for a new one , I have not sold  passed one on I have regretted  because the new one coming in has been more wanted than the one going , but I am at a stage now that the decision to let go of my current collection will be a lot harder ,

deano

• Like 1

No (only ever sold one watch  —  because it was not getting worn)

Also no (didn’t regret selling the one)

And, providing you are looking after the essentials (food on table, table, house to put it in, holidays), I take the view that disposable income is exactly that :yes:

• Like 2

I usually buy, with the intention of selling something else in the collection, then buy again, with the intention of selling something else in the collection.....and the vicious cycle continues!

i would say only sell to upgrade, if your not then that’s when you could potentially get buyers remorse 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrzee said:

Yes, done this many times, sold half a dozen recently to pay for the overhaul of an Omega Speedmaster Mk4.5 and at various times (with a rush of blood to somewhere!) sold almost all of my collection to buy something expensive. More settled now but still sell when I have to.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I flip to buy mostly , mainly because I only wear 4 or 5 watches. You may find that if you secure a watch that is fabulous and that you really really really wanted.... then you will wear it a lot and then move on something(s) that will from then on get less wear.

Now this isnt a criticism, far from it in fact. I realise watch collecting is a passion, and some of the collections that appear on her are very impressive indeed.You mention yourself you have 4 or 5 watches and knowing you like your Breitlings they wont be cheap.Now for me personally i couldnt imagine having a collection of `expensive` watches but only wearing them once or twice a week or possibly less, to me an expensive/nice watch deserves to be worn (to justify the outlay if anything).

I suppose one could say rotation makes them last longer though:wink:, as you`re probably aware in another thread of mine im awaiting an Oris aquis and its going to get lots and lots of wrist time at the expense of my other two watches, which i`ve both had less than a year and are both in very good nick,they wern`t particularly expensive though,a citizen excalibur and a rotary chrono!

Anyway just wondered about your views on this subject, you`re obviously fine with your system/routines and alls well.

cheers:thumbsup:

Edited by sabailand