• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Winter12

Advice/Recommendations required...

Morning all,

Just wondered if any of you could recommend an alternative to an Omega De Ville watch...

I am looking for a cheaper alternative (if possible), but it has to have the following;

-automatic movement

-blue face and uncluttered

-sapphire crystal

-leather type strap (I have too many bracelet style ones already)

Teason I am asking as I have spent loads on watches this month so spending another £2500 on another watch is a bit difficult to justify :)

i have a budget of around £1000

many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

nailed it!

this is currently over budget, but if a 30% sale comes around

C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase

• Like 2

Both great suggestions so far...I really like the look of both watches.

...the Christopher Ward one is good, but the logo on it bothers me. Crazy I know :)

..and the face on the Longines won looks like it would really 'pop'.:)

Thanks loads...its food for thought over the next few days. If you have any other suggestions please put them up :)

I bought my deville on their interest free credit. I get my old age pension this month which will be bunce to fritter away on things. Was funny when I got it from gold smiths they had all my details already on their system which I couldn't understand as I had never shopped there before......turned out it was because I bought a rolex at mappin and Webb a few years ago. There was quite a nice seiko but now sold on here recently. Have a look - blue face and quite elegant.

Maybe a Seiko cocktail time model will spark some interest, e.g. Seiko SRPB41

Google for “Seiko Presage blue.”

Don’t let a bracelet dissuade you, you can just remove it and replace it with the leather strap of your choosing.

• Like 1

Both of those blue faced Longines look like peaches to me :thumbsup:

The Seiko cocktail time is a blooming good suggestion too though. Seriously nice watches.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

If it were me,I would wait to get my first choice.

Co-axial movements need expensive care/servicing, which also needs to be factored in...

Here's a different alternative available on pre-order with a bracelet for a fraction over £1k (or less on a rubber strap);

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_101&product_id=424

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 2

Well what can I say? I have gone from wanting one watch to wanting many... :)

all of the suggestions and advice given was really helpful. I am just at that point where I need to make a decision...

42 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Co-axial movements need expensive care/servicing, which also needs to be factored in...

Here's a different alternative available on pre-order with a bracelet for a fraction over £1k (or less on a rubber strap);

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_101&product_id=424

How much servicing do Co-axials need? And that Ball watch is excellent..I.am going to try and find some videos of it 'for real'..

1 hour ago, chas g said:

I bought my deville on their interest free credit. I get my old age pension this month which will be bunce to fritter away on things. Was funny when I got it from gold smiths they had all my details already on their system which I couldn't understand as I had never shopped there before......turned out it was because I bought a rolex at mappin and Webb a few years ago. There was quite a nice seiko but now sold on here recently. Have a look - blue face and quite elegant.

Once I am able to look on the shop bit here I will :)

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

Maybe a Seiko cocktail time model will spark some interest, e.g. Seiko SRPB41

Google for “Seiko Presage blue.”

Don’t let a bracelet dissuade you, you can just remove it and replace it with the leather strap of your choosing.

Good suggestion..but I already have a Seiko Presage (the sje073j1) and a grand seiko so just wantnto mix it up.. :)

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would stretch your budget and stick to a Chronometer... THESE are absolutely stunning. I tried one on in Bergen in the summer.

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/watch/l2.820.4.96.2_longines_mens_watches_record

Does look very good that...I am going to see if I can find any pictures of it being worn/used

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Winter12 said:

How much servicing do Co-axials need? And that Ball watch is excellent..I.am going to try and find some videos of it 'for real'..

I've heard of co-axial servicing costs to be high and that it's put buyers off, but such watches are outside my price point, so I have no personal experience.  I believe it's recommended every three years, but that may partly depend on frequency of use of course.

The Ball looks like excellent value for a chronometer and their build quality and finish is really good in my experience.  Since the model isn't actually in the shops yet, there may not be any videos.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I've heard of co-axial servicing costs to be high and that it's put buyers off, but such watches are outside my price point, so I have no personal experience.  I believe it's recommended every three years, but that may partly depend on frequency of use of course.

The Ball looks like excellent value for a chronometer and their build quality and finish is really good in my experience.  Since the model isn't actually in the shops yet, there may not be any videos.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the information...I must confess maintaining a watch is not usually a factor I think of (I am new to all this), so its good to get a good point of view.

The Ball does look good..I even got as far on the site as picking my Limited edition number but decided to think a little longer....

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

This is a good point. Co-axials can be pricier if you can't find an independent who will touch it .... and according to chit chats I have had with the dealers , the modern Omega Co-axial I have owned for about a year will benefit from a minor service after 5 years, approaching 7 years without a service it "may" noticeably loose time. 

So you recommend a service every 5 years?

Problem is where I live there are a fair few sellers of very expensive watches (ie up to £600k..their website is bonkers), but when you ask about servicing they just fob you off with an excuse...

18 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The Breiltings I have had have needed a service after 7 years..... but they started loosing accuracy after about 5 1/2 years. Longines watches with their movements will possibly require  servicing at the same sort of time frame. A lot of Omega watch owners I know have watches that have never been serviced, are about a decade old and are working perfectly still.... A major service for a Longines is about £350 from the AD to include a renovation , but a first service is about £200 . Independents are cheaper.

Personally I only service watches when they demonstrate that they need it.... :thumbsup:

Thats actually really good to know. 

I have a hamilton that I got cheap, and it needs to be serviced but I dread the cost.. :) it does need to be serviced though; one of the screw in crowns keeps popping out...

with your experience of watches would you say you 'get what you pay for' in terms of watches; for example is an Omega or Breitling etc going to last longer and require less servicing than a Hamilton/Longines/Tag ?

35 minutes ago, Winter12 said:

Thats actually really good to know. 

I have a hamilton that I got cheap, and it needs to be serviced but I dread the cost.. :) it does need to be serviced though; one of the screw in crowns keeps popping out...

with your experience of watches would you say you 'get what you pay for' in terms of watches; for example is an Omega or Breitling etc going to last longer and require less servicing than a Hamilton/Longines/Tag ?

It's partly the movement; you will find very similar or identical ETA movements in many Brietlings, Hamiltons and Longines - and how you wear them.  After a few years the lubrication of mechanical watches deteriorates (whether you wear them or not), and the parts will wear in use of course.

TBH, if the watch is out of warranty when it needs a service (which they usually are), in most cases you're better off sending it off to a good independent (eg Simon2 of this parish) who will service your watch well for a good deal less than the manufacturer would charge for the same work.

You may take the view, especially with very high-end watches, that you want a complete refurb to original state, in which case it might make sense to send it off to the manufacturer.  But it can take months before you get it back complete with a very large bill.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

As to whether the brand makes any difference as to how often servicing is needed.  Not in my experience.

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Craftycockney said:

Well after much deliberating I went with this one :)

it helped I had a 10% discount voucher so it came to less than £1000  :)

obviously I will send pictures when it turms up..

and thanks so much for all your suggestions!

13 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

This is a very good point and its true not only of very high end , but also modest luxury watches like my Avenger. The options I had for my almost 8 year old watch with no previous service was : A: basic oil change and inspection service from an independent ( £130 ) , B: The same from Breilting (£270) , C Full Breilting service including refurbishment (£650).

The sensible options for me were A ( if I was selling it ) or C ( if I was keeping ).

I went with C and the watch was gone for almost 3 months, but it came back looking brand new. 

It does seem quite good value if it comes back looking like new. Have you any pictures?

You often "get what you pay for" , but its not always in ways that are obvious. Omega and Breitling have fantastic build quality with dial, crystal , case and bracelets and quality control with regard movement assembly and calibration. But Longines are at the lower end much better value for money in many respects given their price tag and the fact 20% discount is always achievable. Hamilton in my view are almost as good as Longines in this regard, but Longines shade them. Tag are poor value for money in their mid range , but pretty decent value in their entry ranges and higher ranges.

Service intervals and build quality are not really connected in my experience in any sure way. I know people who have had a decade of service free use from their Hamiltons whereas others have needed two services in that time. Its not an exact science.......

To summarise , the best value watches from the brands for me are : Longines Conquest Auto on Steel - £820 RRP ( £650 achievable ) , Omega Seamaster 300M £2950 (£2500 achievable ) , Breitling Superocean II 42 on steel £3200 ( £2600 achievable ) , TAG Carrera ( Entry chrono , various specs ) 

but all would probably need a service at 5 years ,,,, 

I only ever buy watches on Case/Dial/ Build quality and then movement reliability. I don't worry about servicing costs within reason , but I left my current Breitling Avenger over 7 years , and it needed a full service including full polish , which cost £650 ..... :swoon:

I Have a new shopping list of watches now thanks to your recommendations..

:)

even my wife approves! :)

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

It's partly the movement; you will find very similar or identical ETA movements in many Brietlings, Hamiltons and Longines - and how you wear them.  After a few years the lubrication of mechanical watches deteriorates (whether you wear them or not), and the parts will wear in use of course.

TBH, if the watch is out of warranty when it needs a service (which they usually are), in most cases you're better off sending it off to a good independent (eg Simon2 of this parish) who will service your watch well for a good deal less than the manufacturer would charge for the same work.

You may take the view, especially with very high-end watches, that you want a complete refurb to original state, in which case it might make sense to send it off to the manufacturer.  But it can take months before you get it back complete with a very large bill.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

As to whether the brand makes any difference as to how often servicing is needed.  Not in my experience.

Thanks for all the infotmation; you obviously really know your stuff (I have no idea about calibres at all..), and its really good to get as many opinions as possible.

In terms of servicing for the future..I look forward to speaking to Simon2 as I also have an old Rado Voyager that needs repairing :)

what brands of watch do you like best?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

1. You won't be disappointed. They are fabulous watches. Very classy on the wrist. Bravo.....

large.DSCF4627.JPG.192a63d5a8afe3517e77dcb66f5ee96d.JPG

3. Its whats really good about this forum ,, @RTM Boy stated the watches he was mentioning are above his regular spend level yet he probably knows a lot more than me about my own watches...  Ownership does not imply expertise and often enthusiasts will offer more information without ever owning a particular watch than some one who does. 

Thats a great picture of the watch...looks fantastic! Youve had that a while then?

You are right about the site; it is good and there is so much knowledge and valued opinions...the only thing that will suffer from being here is my bank balance! :)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Omega Seamaster 300M £2950 (£2500 achievable ) , Breitling Superocean II 42 on steel £3200 ( £2600 achievable ) ,

How achievable?  Very or sometimes.  Is it just a case of wandering in to shops, wearing my Rolex and let them know Im serious.  Dont supose and Apex Diver would cut the mustard

Do I try the boutiques or mainstream shops goldsmiths etc?  I "NEED" both of the above.

Superocean heritage is the one .  Is this a newer model therefore harder to discount?

Edited by Laughing gravy

I bought it in 2007 and wore it every day for 5-6 years as my daily wearer.... It took a few minor knocks , but the major service last year restored it to As New condition.

I only use this one watch forum , I am a busy bee so don't have much time to be online so only use this one and don't have any other hobbies that mean I am pulled to other fora for other reasons. What is good about this place ( apart from what I mentioned earlier ) , is that there is very little watch snobbery here... There are lots of members here who own and value £3K watches along side £100 watches ( myself included ). And even those members with loaded biased options about other brands do it with humour and tongue in cheek. I have learnt a lot from here.

5 or 6 years? Definitely getting your mlmoneys worth there.

Ive just tried on a Breitling Superocean Heritage and can honestly say is what I am learning is that pictures dont do watches justice; especially with the majority of the higher end stuff.

I dont go on many online forums etc and I dont do facebook, so this is my only online presence. People are really nice here and its good its not 'tribal'; people can appreciate everything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Goldsmiths and main dealers won't get you those prices on those watches. Grey dealers will get close and some smaller ADs ( not part of a chain will get close to those prices above if you have cash to buy outright ). Superocean heritage will be harder to get a big discount on , but even those 10% is a minimum I would assume from ADs like AMJ. With Breilting , if you have the cash to buy outright , I would be asking 25% and accepting 20% if offered. £2500 for the 300M in the smaller size and £2600 in the larger size are currently standard discounts from Swiss watches direct ... Remember ALLhigh street luxury watches from the usual brands are priced to includes interest free credit , so if paying with cash , you should get 8% off at the very very least because thats what its going to cost them for the finance....

Thank you.  Very informative.  As always.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Goldsmiths and main dealers won't get you those prices on those watches. Grey dealers will get close and some smaller ADs ( not part of a chain will get close to those prices above if you have cash to buy outright ). Superocean heritage will be harder to get a big discount on , but even those 10% is a minimum I would assume from ADs like AMJ. With Breilting , if you have the cash to buy outright , I would be asking 25% and accepting 20% if offered. £2500 for the 300M in the smaller size and £2600 in the larger size are currently standard discounts from Swiss watches direct ... Remember ALLhigh street luxury watches from the usual brands are priced to includes interest free credit , so if paying with cash , you should get 8% off at the very very least because thats what its going to cost them for the finance....

Really useful that. I usually just put things on card (for points and cashback etc).

Have you ever used Watchfinder? I was trying to get a watch from them recently and they wouldnt budge on price at all...I may try them again in future (watch in question still for sale), but they werent particularly helpful or nice..

22 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Omega Seamaster 300M £2950 (£2500 achievable )

:whistle: https://www.brownsfamilyjewellers.co.uk/watches-c20/omega-seamaster-diver-300m-co-axial-41mm-21230412003001-p26938

£2,425. I bought my one from these people.  Very good service. :thumbsup:

When they have them in stock, they do the Devilles for £2,050

Oh, and if you’re not in a rush, do what I did and take out an Amex Gold reward card, buy it on PayPal from them (they don’t take Amex), pay PayPal off with the Amex and you get either a £100 store card of your choice or £90 cash off your bill plus two free visits to an airport lounge. Remember to cancel it before the year is up to avoid the £140 annual charge that kicks in after 12 months. :biggrin:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/gold-credit-card/

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1