• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
yip_london

My first Smiths arrived!

This is my first vintage (ignoring my 90's Seiko5) so really excited right now.  I was doing some random research on Smiths last week and found a good bargain on 'the bay' (£190), so decided to take a punt.  The seller gave me good vibes, kept me up to date over and beyond but he was candid about getting the watch from the bay himself, unfortunately he did not know the true history (i.e. service record, or if it been redialed etc).  

The watch itself ticked all the boxes for me, British brand, British movement (albeit apparently cribbed from IWC), from 1966-67, Everest is a Smith's watch range created to bank on the success of the 1953 British Mount Everest expedition, where Smiths and Rolex supplied the watches for the team.  

Got home from work today, opened the package, the first thing I did was the open the caseback.  I don't think I even bother to look at the dial properly, I just wanted to make sure it isn't a franken watch.  Fortunately when the caseback pop it was like opening a treasure chest full of gold :clap:

_B059297.JPG

_B059298.JPG

_B059300.JPG

I could watch this thing tick away for hours:

out.gif

The only thing that I thought was a bit weird was that the case back had no engraving on the inside.  I have seen 'awarded for xx service' watches having a gold caseback instead of silver and they usually have a Smith's logo engraved on the back.  So I'm not sure if standard watches come with plain silver caseback that is not engraved or it may have been swapped it out.

_B059303.JPG

Most importantly I'm happy that's it's not a franken.  So I popped the caseback back on and flipped it around.  I saw some black bits inside so opened up the glass for a bit of air can cleaning.

_B059304.JPG

Love the red diamond second hand, slightly curved downwards towards the tip which looks so good with the domed glass.

Since the crystal is off I thought it'd be a good opportunity for some close ups.

_B059307.JPG

_B059306.JPG

You can see one of the 'black specks' here, I think it's probably flaked off from the markers which is a good thing given the age of the watch.  At least it means the dial is not recently redialed if at all.

Acrylic back on.  It is well worn out which I like, gives it character.  There is a big ding on the acrylic near the '10 o'clock' which casts a big shadow which I may polish out, but other than that I'm a happy bunny.

_B059308.JPG

Wrist shot (bad lighting and background at home):

IMG_4211.jpg

I need to create a reason to wear this watch.  Maybe I'll suggest to the wife for an afternoon tea at Cheltenham or something so I'd have a reason to wear a suit with this :naughty:.  She'll be like 'you're acting weird' and probably think I broke something but it'll be worth it.

What do you ladies and gentlemen think?  

• Like 10

A great looking vintage Smiths timepiece it does look in rather superb condition, and some cracking close up shots of your new acquisition too.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new time teller.  :thumbs_up:

9 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Looks pretty classy,  any plans for a strap change? 

Not yet, the strap is surprisingly comfortable and the shiny croc pattern goes well with the watch.  Although the buckle on the strap is flimsy, I managed to accidentally bend the pin on the tang buckle almost straight away.  

If I see a good vintage strap I'd buy one, but I don't think any of my new croc straps would look good on a vintage.  I think I'll buy a good gold colour buckle and change it out to improve the quality of the existing strap.

Just at least get a cheapie strap that actually fits..current one is at least 2mm too small...spoils the look.

13 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

Just at least get a cheapie strap that actually fits..current one is at least 2mm too small...spoils the look.

Good point, didn't realise how much it stands out until you mentioned it.

Problem is that I wish it was 2mm too small.  I've just measured it, the lug width is 16.5mm but the strap on it is 16mm.  I'm not even sure where to buy a 16.5mm strap but I guess that's my internet shopping activity tonight!

• Like 1

Lovely smiths you've got there. No need for a special occasion to wear it though. This is my Smiths Imperial with pav strap. Apologies for the crappy pic. I had it service by Smithswatches a couple of years ago. Still keeping great time. I wear it whenever I fancy. Goes equally well with a shirt and tie or jeans and tshirt. Mines is a gold Dennison case and surprisingly is not engraved on the case back either:thumbs_up:. Enjoy

large.DSCN1136.JPG.06f1f887cdc143a1c8f820c24d38fbfc.JPG

Yeah I'm loving the watch.  It is super accurate during the first half of the wind too +-5 sec a day, i.e. first 36 hours or so.  Probably just need a mainspring replacement to be accurate all the way probably.  Bought a much better 17mm strap for it.

IMG_4214.jpeg

I do need to learn how to look after a vintage though.  I did take it into the shower room and left it on the side whilst and when I came back it was all steamed up on the inside :jawdrop1:

Luckily I had to tools to open it up and wipe & blow it dry :teethsmile: