• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Ziggystardrops

New member from the Swansea area South Wales.

Hi everyone, my name is Lee and I'm from near Swansea, now before you post any Welsh sheep comments my way I'm English but I do love living in Wales, I do. LOL.

So what am I doing on this forum? Well obviously I really like watches and I can't resist looking at them in various shops, especially when abroad. I don't have a collection as such but from the beginning as a child I remember owning my first watch a ticki ticki Timex, think I was five and I had it for many years. Later my grandfather gave me his Colant Supermatic, I wore that till I was about eighteen, slept in it, played football with it on in fact did most things wearing it and it was trouble free, later it was put in a drawer and retired (still have it but it's now stuck) as I got one of those new 'this is the future watches' from Dixons that had a black blank face and when you pressed a button on the side the time lit up in bright red minute dots, WOW! Had that for some time before wanting one of those new LCD watches, must have been flush at the time because the one I bought was a Seiko CE1120 chronograph with alarm, it cost a weeks wages, that was in the early eighties I think? I still have it and it runs well, wife bought a quartz Seiko a little later when we were in Tenerife, still runs well, the watch that is.

I wore the Seiko till about 1991 ish when I decided I wanted something classier, I liked the idea of a Tag Heuer because of their F1 connection but thought they were not the best lookers and nothing else caught my eye, until while out shopping with the wife I just happened to look in Prestons of Bolton display window and saw a really good looking Tag Heuer 2000 series in gold, it was the best looker I'd seen and I had to have it, it was a lot of money but it looked so good on my wrist so I bought it. A year later I bought the wife a matching 2000 series, she was so thrilled to own such an expensive watch, both are still running perfectly to date with no problems during about 26/27 years ownership. She now owns a Tag Heuer automatic Carrera as well, the one with the solid gold bezel and a ring of diamonds, it's absolutely stunning. 

Moving forward to 2017 and we are in Gran Canaria with one day left of our holiday when I look into a shop window and see a Tag Heuer that gets my full attention, not seen this model before a WKP3556 with a black face and rose gold numbers and it's bang up to date. So sitting in the shop with the seller there's no price listed so it's haggling time, I try it on and it look the dogs shiny bits, makes my 2000 model look old fashioned but classic. After enthusing over the watch I say I'll think about it, what I really meant was I'm going away to Google the price back home, with fresh information I return and purchase the watch for a staggering £1250 less than the U.K. listed price from well known retailers, but it was hard work.

So there you have it, I'm not a collector but these are the watches we have, I buy on looks and what appeals to me at the time, no pun intended.

• Like 1

Hi Lee, I am also quite new here and in South Wales. I am sure you will like it here, plenty of great advice and knowledge.

Cheers, Allan.

• Haha 1

Hi Allan,

I'm sure I will, learning a lot as I browse the forum.

One thing I have learned is that I can't edit a post just yet as a new member, made a mistake in my introduction, my new Tag Heuer is model no. CV2A1AB and not as above, another thing I forgot to mention when choosing this model is that I can actually read the time clearly because with my 2000 series it was difficult in low light.

Lee

Yep, but only the early stuff. On all other forums that I've joined way in the past I've used the handle ziggystardust and I was always surprised that not many knew the connection, then in the last five years or so and especially after his departure that brought massive media coverage most people now recognize the name so I changed it slightly.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum @Ziggystardrops. I'm sure you will find lots of interest.

My tip to you, for the little it is worth, is get your Grandfather's Colant Supermatic repaired, it will always be special to you. I didn't know the watch, but just googled it and they look fantastic. Please post pictures! (Posting images may look hard, but it really isn't when you get going)

If you need advice on where to get it repaired, people of this forum may be able to give you some ideas.

Thanks for the welcome Boots, regarding getting my Grandfather's Colant Supermatic repaired, well to be honest it's a bit of a mess. What I didn't include in my first post was that my Father wore it for some time after I retired it and he wore it daily for work and to be blunt just didn't look after it, if I remember correctly when it stopped I was shocked at it's condition and just returned it to the drawer. I won't be spending money having it restored as it has no real money value just memories.

Posting images? I've had a look and it's either too complicated as I can't see how it works to upload from my computer or as a newbie I'm not allowed just yet? Never had a problem on other forums though.

• Sad 1

Hi @Ziggystardrops

The picture posting thing looks tricky, but it really isn't. You need an account on a picture hosting website. I use tinypic.com - it's free and I have (thus far) had no spam related to opening an account with them. You upload the image there, copy the image address (with a right mouse click) and paste the address in this forum - piece of cake. 

There are some more words about it here -->

13 hours ago, Ziggystardrops said:

here are the Tag Heuer watches

Thanks for sticking with it and posting the picture - very nice, I am especially struck by the Carrera. How big is that? It looks big, but perhaps it is just a relative effect.

Also, how about a picture of the Colant Supermatic? I know you said it was in a mess, but I would like to see it.

• Confused 1

Here is the Carrera Boots, it's 43mm dia so is quite big and chunky, seems to be very fashionable at the moment. 

acbvdl.jpg

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/6211615/tag+heuer+carrera+men's+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/?cmCat=OVM

Also a pic of the Colant, sorry about the size of the pics.

2vactiu.jpg

Hi, KO-81, yes it is a small world, we visit Carmarthen now and again.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ziggystardrops said:

Here is the Carrera Boots.... Also a pic of the Colant

They both look great. I'm not usually a big fan of Tags, but that one really works. The Colant, sure it will cost some money to fix up, but I would do it. 

Thanks for posting the pics - it's appreciated.