• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Redwolf

Breitling Navitimer, advice and thoughts.

Hello guys.

I’m getting more and more tempted to buy a Navitimer, I really like the dials in these.

My preference is used mainly because I don’t like the newer 43mm size. And obviously the price.

Problem I have is there’s so much choice which is a good thing. It just means I’m much more confused .

My preference is :

38-42mm

The date at 15:00

Blue dial with Arabic numerals.

Full set

Bracelet

Up to about 3k

Here is one I’ve seen which I really like, but I can’t work out if the lume has genuinely faded or if it was made that way? It’s called an “old Navitimer” but made in 2001 is it a heritage issue?

Thanks and feel free to post links of any you might have seen etc.

Thanks

Adam.

https://www.chrono24.com/uk/breitling/old-navitimer-automatic-chronograph--id9544543.htm?SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=GBP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AFAIK the 'old' part of the description refers to the sub dial positioning rather than the age of the watch. As JOB has said there are quite a few variants and not all appear on the used market regularly.     Best thing IMO is to try on a few until you find one that you like.  Theres also a Cosmonaut version with a 24 hour dial if this appeals.  

• Like 2

@Redwolf Beautiful watches but you need good eyesight, I had a 24-hour Cosmonaut version which compounded the problem :biggrin:

I think I see a small T so the lume is tritium so colour is as expected however I think Breitling stopped using tritium in 1999 so an explanation might be needed from the seller as to why this is 2001, could be it was made in 99 and not sold until 01?

The movement in that version is a Breitling modified Valjoux 7750 and was the less popular of the two I prefer the Valjoux 7753 version with the "tricompax" subdial layout 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

I like the rotary one :thumbsup:

At the risk of being called a Philistine (not for the first time on here :laughing2dw:), I agree.

rotary-gs00199-05-navitimer-alternative.

:tongue:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davey P said:

At the risk of being called a Philistine (not for the first time on here :laughing2dw:), I agree.

rotary-gs00199-05-navitimer-alternative.

:tongue:

So  now we know what the "P" in DaveyP stands for!!!

Haha the rotary one does look quite nice. 

I also checked out the Sinn ones but I don’t really like the 22:00 crown. 

@JoT that’s  wry interesting and I will ask how this happened. 

Thanks to all who have replied too. I will keep looking. 

• Like 2

To me it looks much better than any of the navis and i guess its a bit less known too which makes it cooler:batman:

6 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Some more pics from the seller. 8f9191d68abcf451177ac302919c5aab.jpg
206c4ecd20908cd7ed7ffaef5a0635bf.jpg
63d2e9611273b445d2aed08761231489.jpg
1c0d1f2a4a3d2b13ac58981c0542c77a.jpg
37f5955e513e98c7344a73a8eab32fe9.jpg
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is similar to the Navitimer I had with its antique looking bezel and date at 3. It was a very attractive watch which I've sometimes regretted selling so if you like it I'd go for it.  They are iconic watches after all. 

• Like 2

You could save a few quid and Go down the the poljot way with a 3133 under the skin , bit better than the chavtimer .
ee396652930c58989a22af27dd7a7176.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mcb2007 said:

You could save a few quid and Go down the the poljot way with a 3133 under the skin , bit better than the chavtimer .
ee396652930c58989a22af27dd7a7176.jpg

Looks great, but I think only a Breitling will scratch this itch. 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

You mean avoid the watch that is using the name "Navitmer" illegally !? :yes:

Not sure it’s illegal but yes in a nutshell. 

I want to drop a few gs on my next piece. 

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Navitimer is not a word from the Dictionary , its a Brand Trademark protected under international IP copyright laws. Only Breilting and Sinn have/had permission to use that name. Anyone else using it is doing so illegally and some may argue is comparable to fake watches.

Agreed in principle but suggest a certain Mr P in Russia may argue differently.    Who says Poljot haven't licensed the name for use in territory only or similar? 

• Like 1

i like the simpler looks of this 

DSC_0089-1.jpg?fit=1383%2C1362&ssl=1

That’s the one for me. Simple, elegant, classy, refined to just the necessary bits.

Since the new generation has taken over Ollech & Wajs, I don’t know if they’re doing their Aviation model, but that would be a good alternative to a Breitling. Remember, years ago when Breitling went under, O&J acquired their spare parts and produced watches from them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Anyone else using it is doing so illegally and some may argue is comparable to fake watches.

Or a homage ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The only reason Breitling/Sinn have not gone after Poljot for the clear product piracy is because historically it would not have been a hugely relevant thing to do given the minor ( if any ) impact it would have on their global sales.

So if they can't be bothered hey ho , thought it was juri levenburg that was selling these now ?

Maybe should have put this pic up instead of the US model
5df7024d3c2efba9182135a0c287a9ed.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Always amazes me that ANY Soviet/Russian watches sell/sold in the USA !?

Bit of a sweeping statement ?

Take it you’ve need owned/handled a 3133, a movement licensed by the Swiss, who also sold the Valjoux machinery & drawings to them (Russia). They later beefed up the caliber & added 2 more jewels.

Similarly with the Volna 2809, appreciated by ‘WIS’ the world over....regardless of nationality!

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Well a watch maker can only "homage" using non protected features of a watch. So for instance , no homage would be able to produce a watch with SeaDweller on it if it looked like a Rolex Sea Dweller. 

Ironically the word SubMariner Is not fully protected since its an existing word describing a Sailor who crews or captains a Submarine. In theory any watch maker can produce a watch with "Submariner" on it , so long as it does not look too much like a Rolex Submariner. 

So in summary , no homage can use a registered trademark of another watch company without their specific permission ( which would be denied I assume in 99% of cases ).

Yep hence mm dropped on the parnis...though I know a bloke who advertised one on here not that long since...using the initials only :biggrin:

Related image

30 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I am not an American citizen. My comment was not a reference to the quality of Soviet/Russian Watches... :yes:

[ more of an ironic nostalgic observation ]

you are right you are a man of industry then?

Edited by Nigelp

Getting back on track for the sake of the OP. I did borrow one similar and found it huge well put together but not for me each to their own . That's sitting on my 71/2 inch wrist .
506f3bcdba8e7e124f5291b6e3d4f33b.jpg9e4e24eaa9f4b704010333c4da05ed41.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mcb2007 said:

Getting back on track for the sake of the OP. I did borrow one similar and found it huge well put together but not for me each to their own . That's sitting on my 71/2 inch wrist .
506f3bcdba8e7e124f5291b6e3d4f33b.jpg9e4e24eaa9f4b704010333c4da05ed41.jpg

mm's bigger though in't it mate:thumbsup:

22 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Nothing industrial about my comment ... I was on about the illogical rampant anti-"commy" sentiments once rife in the USA ... and not exactly extinguished given my personal exposure to the gentle folk of the land of the free....

I know I can tell. :yes:

• Confused 1

Ive always been partial to the two dial navitimers, kind of feel a bit more vintage. This is my AB0126 with B01 movement and brown dial. Think it was around 2k on eBay about a year ago

44001018690_af64b02c85_b.jpg

30877780857_1d2e6304a8_b.jpg

Edited by Thomasr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1