• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Luke Orford

Finally finished my silver watch!

Hello 

So after a long time I've finally finished my own watch. Thanks to the help and comments from you guys I was able to figure out what to do!

I wanted a sleek minimalist sterling silver cased watch and I'm happy with the outcome, there are some issues that need to be addressed but for my first attempt and doing something like this im quite happy and ive worn it for about a month now and its keeping good time and is comfortable!

Here are some pictures:

81eab22f-0849-4331-bc24-959859654c7f-ori d3085c8a-b13f-4483-a019-5d55608b321a-ori 36ac1e83-675c-4128-810a-297a939bc47c-ori

0d3b64c9-e460-467b-b969-29e8dea32595-ori 3e138e2d-2df2-4c51-9f9f-859ef4076e05-ori 020473bf-9724-489e-92ac-9dab55fa69a3-ori

793d80b1-1ee7-43d9-94a5-d4be3022cc6e-ori

fe3ea1d8-b309-477f-8185-3db59bc062ad-orib25a74df-c4e4-424e-a24c-a82c75b9a165-ori

This was really fun making this! 

Now to come up for ideas for the next one!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Excellent stuff mate, that looks brilliant :notworthy:

At first glance it looks like quite a simple design, along the lines of... er... well these two, which I acquired from this very forum a few months ago:

20180909_123818

However, as yours is made of silver and completely hand made, I'd guess it's worth a bit more than I paid :laughing2dw:

Just out of interest, you should add the specs on here, such as size, movement etc.

:rltrlt:

• Like 1

Well done Sir. 

I applaud your achievement, with what I assume, very little support!

Look forward to your next project.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I also say, well done. It is nice to see silver as a case material - silver seems to have pretty much vanished for cases over the years - and I applaud your absolute self-discipline in keeping the watch absolutely simple.:thumbsup:

thanks for all your kind words. 

The size of the watch is:

42mm round case

and the movement:

Miyota 8215.

I made my own watch movement holder to hold it inside the case.

Here's an exploded image:

19e005bc-9ab4-46c2-8378-83cc14776fd9-ori

The hardest part for me was the screws and tapping the holes, i broke my first tap doing so! Things I learned is that casting into silver is not precise enough and you have casting issues such as porosity which is small holes in the metal.

Ideally i want to cnc machine the next watch out  for super precision!  

also 8 screws in the back may of been overkill......

46 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I also say, well done. It is nice to see silver as a case material - silver seems to have pretty much vanished for cases over the years - and I applaud your absolute self-discipline in keeping the watch absolutely simple.:thumbsup:

yeah silver is what i know! so i thought i would work with it. would love to see more precious metal watches 

• Like 1

Very impressed super craftsmanship. I can just say manage to put a battery in a watch or fit a strap :yes: