• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

Swatch Sweep Hand Problem... Or Perhaps Not

Dear @simon2, I have just bought a 2002 (dated 2001 on the dial) Swatch "Live and Let Die" quartz James Bond themed watch and I paid a bit more than I would normally for a Swatch watch. While in the shop, I checked out the date and hand setting mechanisms and was a bit disturbed to notice that when the hands are adjusted forwards, the sweep hand moves around the dial in the same direction; it remains static when you wind the hands in the anticlockwise direction.

I decided to buy the watch anyway, and have a receipt in the event that this is a problem or major fault. To be honest, I wondered (naively, no doubt) whether, given the James Bond theme, this was a deliberate feature so that you could synchronize the watch exactly. The date feature is working and adjusts with the crown although it is a bit "picky" when it comes to the locating the exact position of the stem for date adjustment.

The watch is otherwise in good order, and I am reluctant to mess about with it. However, if the sweep situation is likely to affect timekeeping and future longevity of the watch, I might consider my options. I would be most grateful for your help on this matter - do I need to be concerned about the sweep/hand adjusting mechanism?

I do thank you in advance for your advice.:biggrin:

Is this a mechanical or quartz watch? If mechanical, if the watch has run right down and has little or no power on the gear train, this can happen ( sometime called " tripping"). When wound if the watch runs ok. No harm done.

Dear @simon2, the watch is quartz - from the Swatch Irony collection. I must also just add that the checking of the hand setting adjustment using the crown was done by me when there was no battery in the watch. Apparently, this charity shop gets a jeweller to just check its watches without then putting new batteries in them, presumably to save money. I trust that you now have the relevant info required for my query.:)

With a quartz module, due to there being no pressure on the gear train. It is possible, when crown is in "Handset" and maybe the fiction wheel is a little to tight ( due to lack of grease) when setting the time, the gear train will run. Turning the Rotor. Noticeable if the watch has a seconds hand. Again, this will not harm the watch. Generally this wouldn't happen if the friction wheel pinion was lubricated. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Very helpful dear @simon2. Your advice means that I will keep the watch and bear in mind that it may need some attention in due course. The model is rather an unusual one in terms of collectible Swatch watches and I think it is worth keeping in my collection. The watch itself and strap are in nice condition and all original, and given that these watches were not really "built to last," I am not surprised that after 16 years or so, the movement has dried out a bit. Many thanks for your help.:biggrin: