• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Ziggystardrops

Regrets buying an automatic?

17 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

It's failed again but a different issue, just been on holiday and on the first day I pressed the top push button probably for the first time in a couple of months and it worked fine, pressed the bottom one and nothing, no click and I can't stop the chronograph from running.

Sorry if I have mistaken what you meant here, but the top pusher is the start/stop button and the bottom pusher would be the reset. If you press the reset button when it's running it correctly wouldn't do anything (assuming it's not a Flyback).

Or have I misinterpreted what you meant there?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

I pressed the top push button probably for the first time in a couple of months and it worked fine, pressed the bottom one and nothing, no click and I can't stop the chronograph from running.

Whilst I'm not familiar with this particular watch, are you not supposed to push the top button a second time to stop the chronograph?  The bottom button is usually used just to reset it.

[EDIT] Beaten to it yet again :laugh:[/EDIT]

Edited by rhaythorne
I'm way too slow!

i have a Mu Du "doublematic" .... 30 jewel automatic felsa 4002 movement.... probably hasn't been serviced in over 40 years .... keeps great time ...... cost £30 ..... shall i get my coat?

Yes I suppose I could have explained better, if I press the top button the chronograph starts, press it a second time and it stops, now if I press the reset button nothing happens, I don't get the audible click either. So basicaly the reset button is not working.

11 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

Yes I suppose I could have explained better, if I press the top button the chronograph starts, press it a second time and it stops, now if I press the reset button nothing happens, I don't get the audible click either. So basicaly the reset button is not working.

How annoying. But you can get it to stop now though?

6 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

Yes I can stop the chronograph but the three timers (two small clocks and a large sweeping finger) will not zero, the small second hand clock works fine and is not affected.

I might be wrong but i believe you use the top pusher to start & stop and bottom pusher is to reset back to 0. See if that works.

large.Screenshot_20190306-155935_Dropbox.jpg.6d20084d07f194f8e71634d98adb26fb.jpg

Hope this helps. A start A stop B reset

Yes that's what's supposed to happen with the top button and it does but the reset pusher has no audible click and feels completely different when pressed to the stop start button. 

Just now, Ziggystardrops said:

Yes that's what's supposed to happen with the top button and it does but the reset pusher has no audible click and feels completely different when pressed to the stop start button. 

But does it actually reset the seconds hand? Regardless of click or noise.

4 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

Correct.

My last suggestion would be to fully wind the watch at least 30 turns. Then try the process again. If doesn't reset would agree that needs looking at

As as new member my apologies in advance to the many mechanical enthusiasts here. I'm about to make myself unpopular :shothead:

I too have tried very hard to embrace the mechanical world, and I do maintain an intention to try again with another mechanical (and hopefully with the assistance of the wealth of experience from my new friends here).

But.. at this moment in time I'm just not seeing why I would put myself through another (different to the OP yet ultimately, similarly frustrating) experience of buying a mechanical I really like aesthetically, and then dropping a considerable amount of extra cash and time on trying to get the thing to work in even close resemblance to every one of my many trusted quartz watches, only to eventually conced defeat and sell it.

I absolutely get the idea of the romance of a mechanical, and also spending a bit of 'quality time' (lol) with such. It's not all about what's easy and 'grab 'n' go', after all.

However, as someone who appreciates the accuracy and precision of a good quartz movement, I'm just really phased with the idea of having to put so much effort into a watch, only for it to gain/ lose more time in a couple of days than my quartz babies do in a month or more.

That's just me though. Wierdo that I am, I get a realy kick out of my watches staying accurate over an extended period.

As I said, apologies chaps, and respect with regards to that which I may yet not know about these strange timing instruments from another time :yes:

• Like 2

I own plenty of mechanical watches that don't see wear for several months at a time and not a one has had issues.

I find the "oils dry up" excuse to be absolute rubbish. Modern oils don't dry up when not being used. So unless you bought some ancient piece used, I think your being fed a line of bull.

• Like 1

The watch in question is a new model, it's still in the shops. I'm dealing with LVMH at the moment as it's under warranty and there is no other option but after that has expired if there are any further issues I'll be looking elswhere, I'll also add I don't have full confidence in LVMH at the moment after speaking to them last time and especially now with this fault, I just hope they can restore that this time. 

32 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

The watch in question is a new model, it's still in the shops. I'm dealing with LVMH at the moment as it's under warranty and there is no other option but after that has expired if there are any further issues I'll be looking elswhere, I'll also add I don't have full confidence in LVMH at the moment after speaking to them last time and especially now with this fault, I just hope they can restore that this time. 

Wow, sorry to hear it man.

In all honesty, modern synthetic oil do the exact opposite of dry up, the turn more liquid over time as they break down. They take much longer to do this however, and the watch will still function even while this is happening. Or at least it will until it won't and then you've got a bigger problem. Lol

I just say service then every 5-7 years regardless how often or seldom you wear them. That's my take.

Write a formal letter to the CEO of Tag Heuer and send a copy to the service center. Explain the issues you've had and the poor explanations given which hold no credit. Tell them the watch still isn't functioning correctly and your disappointed in the brand and have lost faith with the LVMH service centre.

Either they'll speed up the repair and double check its working correctly along with an extended warranty period, or if your lucky you might end up with a new watch just like @MIQ

I'll give LVMH another chance before doing as you suggest Igerswis and see what they have to say, last thing I want is to be accused of not giving them a fair chance to correct the problem if I complain to a high level.

I'll give LVMH another chance before doing as you suggest Igerswis and see what they have to say, last thing I want is to be accused of not giving them a fair chance to correct the problem if I complain to a high level.

They can’t accuse you of anything if your only voicing your grievances.

57 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

I had a similar problem with another of "Switzerland's finest", a concise and accretive letter to their head office, and the situation was resolved immediately and amicably, go straight to the organ grinder. In my case I was also thrown a line of absolute drivel by the AD. If the service / service centre is no use, then someone further up "the tree" should be made aware of the fact. You could be one of many pi$$ed off customers that are being swept under the carpet. The reason I do not have any LVMH watches in my collection is because this sort of nonsense appears to be all to common. As I said already, if they try to blame the "damage" on the use of a watch winder, then ask for this in writing. I wouldn't have mentioned the use of one in the first place. You bought a watch, you wear it, it develops a fault under warranty, then unless you have abused it in some way, then it should be repaired satisfactorily without the nonsense. In your position, once repaired, I'd move it on, as I would never be happy with it, and go and buy something I liked from a brand that doesn't take the pi$$. :angry: