• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Ziggystardrops

Regrets buying an automatic?

As the title suggests do I regret buying an automatic? At the time of purchase I loved the look of the watch and still do a Tag Heuer CV2A1AB and I thought it was cool to own an automatic but after owning a quartze movement for about 27 years the daily winding of this one as I now don't wear it every day has taken some of the shine from owning it especially if I forget then it stops.

I used a TIME tutelary watch winder for 18 months before I had an issue with the watch and returned it under warranty, it was sorted but LVMH in Manchester more or less told me not to use the watch winder, gave reasons along the line of it drying out the lubrication and that was the issue with the watch when one day it stopped and wouldn't wind. I find myself wearing my 27 year old Tag more than the new one now, lost a bit of faith in the new watch and brand and wonder should I have bought a quartze movement? Thoughts guys?

In all fairness autos are meant to be worn regularly, they need plenty of wrist time, having a good watch like a tag auto but not wearing it enough is a real shame!

Edited by sabailand

3 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

As the title suggests do I regret buying an automatic? At the time of purchase I loved the look of the watch and still do a Tag Heuer CV2A1AB and I thought it was cool to own an automatic but after owning a quartze movement for about 27 years the daily winding of this one as I now don't wear it every day has taken some of the shine from owning it especially if I forget then it stops.

I used a TIME tutelary watch winder for 18 months before I had an issue with the watch and returned it under warranty, it was sorted but LVMH in Manchester more or less told me not to use the watch winder, gave reasons along the line of it drying out the lubrication and that was the issue with the watch when one day it stopped and wouldn't wind. I find myself wearing my 27 year old Tag more than the new one now, lost a bit of faith in the new watch and brand and wonder should I have bought a quartze movement? Thoughts guys?

Sounds suspiciously like them finding someone or something else to blame for your watch going wrong to me. Winder should be no better or worse for the lube that wearing it every day, and probably better for the movement than hand winding it daily - many speculative grumbles about that being bad for autos too if you go fishing for opinions. best bet to avoid wear and tear is just to wind it and set it when you intend to wear it - but that aside it should be good for considerably more than 18 months no matter how you deal with it (within reason)

• Like 1

Do you wear this watch every day? If so it shouldn't need daily winding - if it does there is definitely a problem with the watch.

no arguing a quartz is a pick and go or wear and forget, but I was new to autos myself not long back and it was said in another thread I just read , the picking up of a watch and setting the time & winding is and should be a bit of quality time with the watch other than looking at the time , and at least with some of the newer 70 hr + power reserves they don't run down over night, I use a watch winder but not all the time ! I set the watch up the day before use so it is pick and go . so I still have a passion/preference for the auto ( strangely over just mechanical as well)

deano

• Like 1

From Dr Ranfft.

The oppinion that a watch should continously run instead of keeping it resting in a drawer is nonsense.
      What moves wears, and this applies to the bearings as well as the mainspring. However, if properly serviced, a watch will run almost eternally, but if it is stored in a dry and cool place it will even last "eternallier".
      Anyway, this is not actually a question for collectors. If you own a couple of watches, and don't wear them all continuously on your wrists or in your pockets, each watch will run only a couple of days now and then. So if you care for your watches, you don't have to worry about wear.

Plus, if your watch goes wrong under warranty, always say it has had careful daily wear, no more. Adding anything else gives some retailers the opportunity to squirm out of honouring the guarantee.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

You are right Sabailand it is a shame but for the first 18 months I did wear it everyday at some time, I never wound it by hand as I relied on the watch winder, except for when I was away on holiday and winding it by hand did give me some owner satisfaction.

When it broke and I returned it to LVMH I was careful telling them how it had been looked after as not to incriminate myself, I had done everything by the book but I added I used the winder, anyway I'll wear it daily now as I've got another 12 months warranty and if it's to go wrong then hopefully it's within this period.

I did ask LVMH to provide me with a written report as to why it failed but they phoned me instead explaining the lubricant issues so declined a written report, she just confused me with what had been done and I did feel I was being fobbed off at the time, very professionaly though.

I dread to think of any repair cost once out of warranty, not a single issue with my quartze 2000 series over 27 years of ownership. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ziggystardrops said:

dread to think of any repair cost once out of warranty

Seek a good independent watchmaker.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Seek a good independent watchmaker.

@Ziggystardrops Absolutely right - check out the Watchmaking and Repairs section on the Forum;  https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/forum/13-watchmaking-and-repairs/ once out of warranty it's the best route for repairs.:yes:

Mechanical watches have many more moving parts compared to a quartz analogue, but 18 months is a very short time for lubrication to "dry up" - always assuming it was correctly lubricated in the first place and/or hadn't seen sitting in a hot and sunny jeweller's window for a couple of years before you bought it.  Even if this was the case, it sounds like there was more to the problem than just lubrication.  You say it stopped and wouldn't wind; suggests to me something came adrift and jammed the winding mechanism somewhere...

I'm hearing more and more 'issues' with TAGs from different sources and I'm starting to wonder if the QC at suppliers or at the factory is all it should be? :hmmm9uh:

But this could be a good thing insofar as the problem is not a problem of mechanical movement - you were just unlucky.  Analogue quartz movements wear out too...eventually.  So, don't be put off automatics.  I have an Oris with an inexpensive Sellita SW200-1 non-chronometer movement which keeps +/-1 (or at worst 2) seconds per day (depending on which way up I store it at night).  For three days last week it kept spot-on perfect time (compared to time.is).  But I know this will change over time and it will need servicing at some point.  It's just normal wear and tear.  But that just proves it's a living thing, not some piece of electronic tat that become obsolete within 6 months.  You don't have to plug it in to recharge it, nor change the expensive battery.  It's part of you, because you power it.  So, enjoy in good health :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I would put just down to bad luck mate, my 1st was a tag calibre 5 auto, I use a winder and don't often were it even just sits in a draw at other times. I give a quick wind and some wrist time and it is good as gold. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and advice chaps, just love the watch face though and I can see the time, day and date plainly. I'll just put it down to bad luck then and keep in with this forum. As for it sitting in a shop window for a good time prior to buying I don't think this was the case as it was a recently released model. After spending so much on this watch I won't be buying another in the near future.

i was looking to get TAG heuer 01 man united (of course not retail price) but after doing some research it seems some

tag got movement problems(cheap ones). i know H 01 is premium but why would i take a risk.

Mechanical watches are undoubtedly things of beauty.. I don't mind having to set the date and time but the one major issue for me is the service costs! I've got seven that require servicing and it's a major outlay keeping them all running. 

Many people have 30+ watches. They are mostly mechanical and are worn less than a day per month. As they have to be set each and every time, time keeping isn't an issue and servicing happens when they stop. For me there is a lot of pleasure just looking at the boxes and deciding each day which one I will wear. It's why it is the hobby we enjoy in many cases. Accuracy..smAccuracy. So there!!

Edited by fredwastell
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fredwastell said:

Many people have 30+ watches. They are mostly mechanical and are worn less than a day per month. As they have to be set each and every time, time keeping isn't an issue and servicing happens when they stop. For me there is a lot of pleasure just looking at the boxes and deciding each day which one I will wear. It's why it is the hobby we enjoy in many cases. Accuracy..smAccuracy. So there!!

This is accurate.^^^

I’m calling BS on that repair person’s explanation, and would press for the written record. I’ve used winders for years, all they do it keep a watch running (which can be handy for divers with screw-in crowns or day-date models that you don’t wnat to fiddle with every weekend when you pick it up). They don’t dry out lubricants faster or slower than the watch being worn. Something else was wrong with the movement and the repairer didn’t want to tell you the real issue. That’s a concern.

Premium watches have as much as a 70 hour reserve, most watches have something like 40 hours, so you don’t have to wear an auto EVERY day. Picking it up and setting it shouldn’t be a chore.

3 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I’m calling BS on that repair person’s explanation,

Definitely. I would ask for it writing, then send a copy to a quality auto winder manufacturer for further comment.

I'm not going to push for the written explanation, too much hassle now, to be honest I was so relieved that they actually repaired it at no cost even though it's still under warranty after reading some horrendous negative reviews regarding owners being charged by LVMH while their watches are still under warranty, impact damage seems to be the most commonly used excuse for charging even though the owners strongly deny any wrong doing.

Another thing I remember the LVMH person saying was that as Tag Heuer don't do a watch winder and so they couldn't recommend or comment on a brand and advised I wind it manually if not wearing it daily, when servicing comes around in a few years I will ask for advise on here.

Furthermore ... there are watchwinder users here who can give you recommendations. I've had a couple, they burned out after several years use. Fortunately the quad winder is a nice display. 

Personally, I think it's trivial to simply wave the watch a few times (as Seiko suggests) or simply "swirl" dial down over the floor to give the rotor a few spins, then set the watch with the sweep seconds hacked at :00 or :30 (it's not hard to put the minute hand between two chapter ring ticks, if present). With quick set date complications very common, setting the date is easy, just ensure the watch is reading between 0300 and 2100 before doing so (advance past midnight if you're not sure). 

As someone who works on watches will likely confirm, modern lubricants don't "dry out" within 18 months or even a few years unless you bake the watch in an oven, or (perhaps?) leave it with the crown unscrewed for a few years. 

It's failed again but a different issue, just been on holiday and on the first day I pressed the top push button probably for the first time in a couple of months and it worked fine, pressed the bottom one and nothing, no click and I can't stop the chronograph from running. Got home yesterday and contacted LVMH, very apologetic and they ask that I return it again which I will while it's still under warranty. 

I'll also add that while on holiday I visited Dubai for four days so got a chance to see their incredible copies or whatever they are called? Very tempting but I declined.