• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Rolex hoarding.

There is a whiff of BS about that article.  I do not know of any business that would hold valuable stock for six months in case a good customer wanted one.  But as a way of stoking demand it is a fine piece of writing.

There is also a shortage of birth year watches from the year you, dear reader, were born.  I have saved a few back, but I can only hold them for a short time before I have to let the waiting list have a chance.  And,  unlike new watches, I can not increase production by 20%! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

There is also a shortage of birth year watches from the year you, dear reader, were born.  I have saved a few back, but I can only hold them for a short time before I have to let the waiting list have a chance.  And,  unlike new watches, I can not increase production by 20%! :biggrin:

Oh dear, Scott  --  I'll happily pay double your normal price if I can secure one  :tongue:

• Haha 1

If there is a waiting list for the watches then surely the AD would want to sell to those customers before they get fed up waiting.

Absolutely pathetic. 

Statements like: “I know of a gentleman who went into a Rolex AD looking for a steel Daytona, and he was told it would be about 50 years before he would get one" make me glad I'm not in the market for them.  Just a lame attempt to generate interest and keep prices artificially high IMHO :thumbdown:

• Like 4

This sort of nonsense really annoys me. I just can't bring myself to support it in any way shape or form, so no Explorer 2 for me! I'm well aware that Rolex couldn't care less about customers like me, and I'd be quite happy to ignore the whole farce if I didn't like the watches they made! :bash:

love the , "boxes with less cavities so stock does not looks sparse"  :laugh:, fortunately I am old and subsequently have what's considered old men's watches and the  less desirable models of the ranges, e,g  datejusts , exp 2, which suits me as A) I can get what I want and B) they do not command a premium over retail, in fact less.:thumbsup:, so they can hang on to them and wish them well , as a watch selling business it must be difficult to survive if you don't sell watches :biggrin:

42 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

I'd be quite happy to ignore the whole farce if I didn't like the watches they made! :bash:

Mercifully, I have reached that state of Nirvana.

I have lifted mine eyes unto the hills, and found that, behold, watches from others are more interesting  :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

every chav and his dog will be wearing one. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Nail . . . . head . . . . . :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Next thing you know TK Max will be selling them and every chav and his dog will be wearing one. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

yeh! great:biggrin:

Is that one of you ex birds bond? Is that why you don't shop there, don't blame ya mate!:laugh:

it was more the ADs than Rolex themselves I was indicating about being difficult to be  watch sellers jon, but is it Costco America are selling Rolexes so may be tkmax next :laugh:

deano

• Haha 2

Rolex Rolex Rolex.  I'm lucky enough to own one but I can't say I rate it more highly than my other watches which cost maybe one fifth or tenth of the price.  Indeed I probably enjoy them more - Rolex seems such a cliche to me, there are much more interesting watches out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 20/11/2018 at 12:15, ziggy1024 said:

...I'd be quite happy to ignore the whole farce if I didn't like the watches they made! :bash:

I'm lucky.  I don't like anything Rolex makes.  I have my own crown :king::laugh:

This is the "Giffen Good" ie a product that people (try to) consume more of as the price rises breaking all basic rules of demand in microeconomics and of common sense. :yes:  As I type I'm being trained by Rolex to not :rolleyes: or :laughing2dw: because I had no idea this could be seen as being rude and that failing to sell anything to a customer was bad for business.  I really had no idea this was the case.  No, really I didn't.  It's quiet a revelation.

So, instead of sending them out of the shop empty handed, I'll try to sell them something better using a technique called "making a sale",which will be helped by being welcoming, knowledgeable, polite, friendly and listening to the customer's needs and doing my best to fulfil them.  Apparently, such an approach is not commonly used in Rolex ADs.  Or so I've heard. :laughing2dw:  Ooops, there's me chuckling again.

Edited by RTM Boy

Don't think i'll ever afford a ROLEX:(

However i'm thinking of getting a TIMEX 

same number of letters, both ending in x and i'm sure you can get a TIMEX that looks just like a ROLEX?

Then I will be  Bobby Dazzler eh? Who would know. 

Image result for timex watch that looks like a rolex

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

I'm lucky.  I don't like anything Rolex makes.  I have my own crown :king::laugh:

I'm not a big fan of much of their catalogue - I could happily point at a direct alternative that I'd rather have from elsewhere. But I do like the explorer 2 :(

Perhaps I'll make an exception to another dislike of mine and get a Hom**e. Two wrongs make a right, don't they?!

On 20/11/2018 at 13:08, yokel said:

Mercifully, I have reached that state of Nirvana.

I have lifted mine eyes unto the hills, and found that, behold, watches from others are more interesting  :yes:

You're not wrong.  Rolex don't even make the one (1655) I really want anyway. :laugh:

When i was looking for a Rolex i saw the Tudor Sub and when for it, it has more wrist time than any of my watches.

+

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Don't think i'll ever afford a ROLEX:(

However i'm thinking of getting a TIMEX 

same number of letters, both ending in x and i'm sure you can get a TIMEX that looks just like a ROLEX?

Then I will be  Bobby Dazzler eh? Who would know. 

Image result for timex watch that looks like a rolex

I like the look of that Timex! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andyj56 said:

Where is it for sale? :)

don't know andy its just a pic on google image, i'll see if i can find you one 

@Andyj56

its an explorer homage this is close mate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273339806269

google timex waterbury collection :thumbsup:

you can get one similar of zeno i had one remember?

or you could get an alpha 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163229468828?chn=ps

• Like 1