• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve D UK

Black Friday. So what did you get......

...and I’m talking genuine bargains, stuff that you were going to get anyway and not stuff you got because you thought it was cheap. Me, I got nothing as I wasn’t looking for anything today and I feel that in general it’s one big con. I bought my wife’s Christmas present two weeks ago - a Longines watch from Ernest Jones. If I’d held off and waited until today? Well, that would have cost me another £200. Oh the joy of a regular Saturday, non Black Friday bargain! :biggrin:

What about you? 

19 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

What about you? 

All of the watches I've seen can be had for the same or better throughout the year. Many shops seem to take in stuff not normally stocked for the "sales". On a plus, I was genuinely looking for a new Barbour jacket, and got one for less than a third of the price anyone else had advertised on sale, so I'm happy.

• Thanks 2

I was tempted to buy a Honor 9 lite android phone reduced to £119 , but realised I don't actually need a new phone and would probably have regretted buying it . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

My biggest saving was actually keeping my money in my wallet as there was nothing I needed...:thumbsup:

Ditto...!   :thumbs_up:

Brought my Mrs an Iphone 8 from argos but mate works there so got another 10% off the sale price so that did turn out to be a bargain!. Other than that I agree with the others Black Friday is just another Friday but a bit blacker....

On 23/11/2018 at 19:37, WRENCH said:

All of the watches I've seen can be had for the same or better throughout the year. Many shops seem to take in stuff not normally stocked for the "sales". On a plus, I was genuinely looking for a new Barbour jacket, and got one for less than a third of the price anyone else had advertised on sale, so I'm happy.

Which jacket did you get? 

I got nothing in the Black Friday sales and I'm really easily parted from my money, especially anything Barbour. 

But yesterday my missus found a cottage in Ambleside for 6 nights over Xmas, £525+£5/night for (our lad) dog.

Not a bargain but money well spent. 

Bought a few bits of Lego for the boy for Christmas and a leaf blower.

All the watches I wanted were out of my price range atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I've got a Bedale that colour. Barbour must do about 50 different wax jackets these days

At least. :thumbsup:

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:17, BlueKnight said:
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:45, Roger the Dodger said:

My biggest saving was actually keeping my money in my wallet as there was nothing I needed...:thumbsup:

Ditto...!   :thumbs_up:

like others-Ditto...!   :thumbs_up:

On 23/11/2018 at 20:45, Roger the Dodger said:

Same here

5 hours ago, Turpinr said:

Which jacket did you get? 

Tell you what's annoying. I have an acquaintance who deals in NOS vintage clothing, just appeared with a 1950's wax jacket £16, now I've got two, and I wouldn't have bought the first one if I'd known the second one was coming. :angry:

30 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Tell you what's annoying. I have an acquaintance who deals in NOS vintage clothing, just appeared with a 1950's wax jacket £16, now I've got two, and I wouldn't have bought the first one if I'd known the second one was coming. :angry:

16 bleepin' quid!?!? 

• Thanks 1

got one for less than a third of the price anyone else had advertised on sale

That would be setting my alarm bells ringing.

No disrespect intended but are sure it's genuine. 

17 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

That would be setting my alarm bells ringing.

No disrespect intended but are sure it's genuine. 

Bought from a shop that has been selling Barbour longer than I have been breathing, and the great grandson of the founder is my mate, so its definitely well dodgy, that hot it set fire to the bus seat on the way home, gov'nah. 

• Haha 1

Nothing to to with black friday deals but i did get a vintage Longines qtz in the style of a cartier solo tank and i did get it for half the asking...

expected tomorrow 

but the asking was daftly high:swoon:

2 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

Sounds noice. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223241124546 - thought of you when I saw this btw!

thats a baragain too! Yes I've been after something in a rectangular case and the longines was too much to pass up for 45 quid on a new hirsch with a new battery...:biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

thats a baragain too! Yes I've been after something in a rectangular case and the longines was too much to pass up for 45 quid on a new hirsch with a new battery...:biggrin:

Rude not to. I was tempted by that Zenith myself, but I've decided that I need to tick off a couple from my long-standing wish list....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggy1024 said:

Rude not to. I was tempted by that Zenith myself, but I've decided that I need to tick off a couple from my long-standing wish list....

Yes the zenith is very tempting indeed, it just shows what you can pick up if you search around. It seems to me that at the moment watches are like cars and people are prepared to get what they can for them, especially if they are a bit out of fashion like many of the smaller 80's quartz watches. Which luckily for me at least are the ones I prefer to wear. Most 70's watches seem to find favour. However the fashion for small ultra slim mens watches in the late 80's hasn't seen a resurgence yet and for me thats a good thing! I've bought 2 Zenith and a Longines which to me are classics. For not much more than a new Seiko SKX007...

anyone who fancies a really cheap zenith for a lady friend and can do a bit of fixing up, could do worse than this. 

It makes me wonder how much it would take to get this going, the movement looks clean. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zenith-Espada-Quartz-Watch-Not-Working/292821114370?hash=item442d7f9e02:g:1A8AAOSwJd1b8AfR:rk:4:pf:0