• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

All the watch you need.

WRENCH

Not sure what you really mean to be honest.  I have a G Shock which I suppose could be classed as the only watch I actually need but even they have flaws I find quite annoying.  For example, I use the 24 hour clock and some of them are a pain to adjust ironically, the much cheaper Casio digital are much easier.  The so called atomic clock on them is another chocolate fireguard as I found when travelling and yes, they have a world timer but again, so do the cheaper Casio watches.  Just about the only thing I like about the one I have is its solar so I dont need a battery.

My Dornbluth I suppose because its become something of a family watch I would hope to one day pass on to my children.

Like @ZenArcade I am a little unclear on exactly what you mean.

The one watch I have that I would struggle without, and would immediately go an purchase a replacement is... a G-Shock! Leaving aside the whole telling the time thing, which we all know is amply covered by other devices, the critical feature that I would suffer without are the alarms. One to wake me up (two if it is a particularly early call) is used daily. The countdown timer is regularly used to prompt me - usually to attend a meeting, because I have wandered off into watch world.

I currently have a am analogue version, but to be honest a digital one would work just as well.

This is the watch I need; day in, day out:

24p9g2g.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

I split want and need,I don’t need a watch ,but I want a watch.Dont know what I’ll want next untill I see it:laugh:

Most of the time the only method I have of knowing what time it is, is a watch. (no phone you see) although I usually carry two, just in case. :laughing2dw:

Then I need another two, in case I break one while the other one is being serviced. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Most of the time the only method I have of knowing what time it is, is a watch. (no phone you see) although I usually carry two, just in case. :laughing2dw:

Then I need another two, in case I break one while the other one is being serviced. 

Belt and braces,good call sir

I have pondered thus question many times and the Citizen below should be capable of being my only watch. Its 200m waterproof solor powered always accurate has alarms GMT functions chronograph stopwatch and I dont have to dick around changing it when the clocks change. Its well built the bracelet is nice and to me it looks great.

Unfortunately reason plays no part in my acquisition of watchs. [emoji57]

9d389cd5d7b36a1e79d2012e8ff365cb.jpg

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At the risk of seeming pretentious (what's new there?), this is my least loved (but extremely worthy) watch. However it does everything I actually need  --  very reliably, and very robustly. All the rest of my little collection are just male jewellery (but I love them to bits).

EqPVvTT.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, yokel said:

At the risk of seeming pretentious (what's new there?), this is my least loved (but extremely worthy) watch. However it does everything I actually need  --  very reliably, and very robustly. All the rest of my little collection are just male jewellery (but I love them to bits).

EqPVvTT.jpg

I sold my datejust in favour of a non date sub,the blue face and jubilee bracelet on the dj just didn’t do it for me ,fussy old git that I am.

Know what you mean, @WRENCH

Aside from the sentimental attachment that comes with timepieces gifted to me from members here (thank you all :thumbsup:) & elsewhere. there is 2 in particular that would serve my needs on a daily basis now.

The first being the watch gifted to me on my 21st birthday, shown on today's watch thread, the other being this 60's Venus auto...

uqldYZd.jpg

Liken it as my comfort blanket, accompanied me for so many years on ventures & trips away...never let me down, a faithful friend!

:thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Everything is open to your own interpretation. :yes:

In my case a simple, but accurate, low quality, means of measuring time is all I really require, the additional seconds hand complication is superfluous. 

Ah in that case probably a G Shock (Only because I own it, if I didnt I would never buy one and dont really recommend them.  You can find much cheaper Casio watches that do the same thing just without the G Shock written all over them) Alarm is useless though, wouldnt wake up a light sleeping mouse.  I need an accurate watch for work making most hand wind or automatic watches useless and even many regular quartz watches not much good.

I suppose there is good reason why people more often just wear a digital watch these days or look at their phone.

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

In my case a simple, but accurate, low quality, 

"Low Quality" !? .... Hmmmm.

I am fairly sure most people can get pretty good quality for not much outlay if they do their homework etc etc ....

Life is too short IMO to wear low quality watches. I think we differ here.....

10 minutes ago, kanab22 said:

large.20171225_124415.jpg.7daf0be2e2e6223ff277de25d8959a39.jpg

My running watch has all the features I could want but it's not all I really need as I constantly feel the need to buy more.

These are now available for £75 .... seriously got to be one of the value watches on Earth...

In all fairness i find my seiko 5 can be important, it doesnt need a battery ever, and i just shake it and it tells me what day it is and what date and i can knock it about and get it soaked. I guess if i was sleeping rough, and therefore needed to get to Lincoln on time for a hearing on the right day. I could rely on it. 

Image result for lincoln inn of court london

7 hours ago, yokel said:

EqPVvTT.jpg

that is the nicest watch you have squire. 

yokel:biggrin:

• Haha 1

For a lot of years my only watch was the titanium seiko sq50 which I wore for everything.large.image.jpeg.59dc4b2cf27602a764c7fc3546f86a93.jpeg

It was bought in the early 1990s in Gibraltar. it has kept good time, been fairly robust, has required 1 replacement capacitor in that time. It has been used and abused whilst gardening, scuba diving, in the gym, work etc etc and keeps on going. When work became a bit rougher I progressed to a GShock and probably that would suffice for what I need, apart from GPS plotting my runs. Oh yeah and not dressy enough for more formal wear. I doubt I'd be able to restrict myself to one watch these days as my tastes and awareness of different brands has altered.

i guess my Omega SMP could be the one, plus that was a 40th gift from the 710.

On 24/11/2018 at 19:35, Nigelp said:

that is the nicest watch you have squire. 

yokel:biggrin:

It's much like a Land Rover Defender  --  tough as you could wish, but nobody would accuse it of being meticulously built.

I adduce the "luminous" dots on the hour markers. They are not all the same size. Some are not accurately positioned on their marks. And the one at four o'clock fell off very early in the watch's life and floated around in the face for years before finally being removed at service (no, it wasn't replaced).

Also, the deployant catch would IMHO shame a Parnis.

Definitely my least well made watch  --  but very rugged and worthy, which is why it is deservedly my beater.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I suppose if I had to pick one of my watches for all purposes, it would have to be my Tag Aquaracer that I’ve had since 2011. Had it a while so not precious about it, waterproof, quartz, can wear it with a suit and not look out of place. Trouble is, when I got a new watch for my birthday last year, I let the dog have it and she won’t part with it now. :(

73-BCB1-F4-50-A7-461-C-9460-54-C6-E16-B7

• Like 2

Hardly wear it really but if I were to keep one all rounder it would be this:

8Rn77k.jpg

Not glamorous but satisfyingly decent quality, decent movement (Ronda 5040d), accurate, really nice bracelet, not oversized, smart enough, casual enough, sporty enough, classic enough, waterproof enough, very legible, sapphire, cheap enough not to worry about... all the watch I need.

No photo, because I'm in a pub and made a poor strap decision today (iridescent blue NATO with a field-style watch? I look like a walt Julian Clarey drinking hipster craft ale)

But my beater; a faithful Seiko 5 sport that has taken more punishment than any cheap watch had any right to, is ever present. Dinged to hell, the hardlex is buggered, and it physically can't be destroyed... I bought it an Xmas pressie the other day - a demagnetizer,  cos it's suffered so much casual abuse I can probably pick up paperclips with it.

I flipping love this watch. When it eventually dies I'm gonna stump up the cash to replace the innards because we've been through so much together!

• Haha 1