• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve D70

What do you think of these two?

I am generally a fan of Oris but I feel a bit unsure about the example you show. I'm not sure why but something about the dial and the hands disturbs me and I wonder what the exact nature of the refurbishment was that was undertaken on the watch. As for the Avia, it is a real beauty.  Avia has always been a rather undervalued brand by collectors, and this example shows the firm at its best. :)

Thanks guys, is there any way of telling if its fake? Im winning it at the minute for £16 so not a biggie so far, the Avia is a bit higher priced but how much roughly should I expect to pay?

1 minute ago, Steve D70 said:

is there any way of telling if its fake? Im winning it at the minute for £16

This ^ is your biggest clue :laughing2dw:

To my untrained eye, the Oris is a fake, and the Avia is genuine (and lovely).  I should stress though, my eye is definitely untrained :biggrin:

• Like 2

Hi 

The ORIS is a mish mash :)

Also this AVIA model, IIRC, was not produced with dagger hands, also as mentioned ^^^^, the sub dial hand is incorrect.

Here is my own unadulterated example...

BJig2bj.jpg

But ?

If it has a Peseux movement...

BCY8d3E.jpg

Worth a cheeky "Little" bid for an attractive ticker, IMO.

Edited by Karrusel
  • Thanks 1

The oris doesn't look right at all and the hands on the Avia look too heavy when compared to the rest of the dial, just doesn't look right to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys, so Im best to steer clear of both then, @Karrusel Ive seen quite a few Avia with that type of hand on, is it just that particular model (what model is it?) that shouldn’t have those hands as I particularly like that one?

if you like it or them don't worry just buy them. 

i mean its not like we are talking vintage red sub money or ed white speedy :biggrin: just get them :thumbsup:

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve D70 said:

Thanks guys, so Im best to steer clear of both then, @Karrusel Ive seen quite a few Avia with that type of hand on, is it just that particular model (what model is it?) that shouldn’t have those hands as I particularly like that one?

My example above shows the correct 'stick hands', the one you have been viewing has incorrect dagger (or dauphine) hands.

Here's another one of mine with the correct 'alpha' hands (lance are very similar)...

WKCNCW3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive been out bid on both now so wont bother with them now but I definitely want one of the Avia’s , is there a model name or number I can search for?

• Like 1

On reflection and after taking another look at the Avia watch, I agree with you both, Alan, and Nigel. The hands on the Avia don't quite look correct - with the dagger hands being overly heavy-looking and the hand on the seconds register being too short. It is surprising how without a correct "comparison" example to go by, one can miss a visible problem. And may I say Alan how lovely your own Avia IIRC is, the hands just perfect the watch design.

As for the Oris, I did rumble that one as being not as it should be, and this instructive thread shows just how careful one needs to be when buying watches, especially when substantial sums of money are involved.

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

On reflection and after taking another look at the Avia watch, I agree with you both, Alan, and Nigel. The hands on the Avia don't quite look correct - with the dagger hands being overly heavy-looking and the hand on the seconds register being too short. It is surprising how without a correct "comparison" example to go by, one can miss a visible problem. And may I say Alan how lovely your own Avia IIRC is, the hands just perfect the watch design.

As for the Oris, I did rumble that one as being not as it should be, and this instructive thread shows just how careful one needs to be when buying watches, especially when substantial sums of money are involved.

:)

Being a complete noob I really appreciate the help guy’s, I can clearly see the difference now thanks to your help and after doing a bit more research.

I’m bidding on a “proper” one that’s working/not working, the guy says it may just need a service so as long as it doesn’t get too expensive I’ll keep bidding.

Is there a model name or number I can search for?

• Like 1

I studied those vintage watches from Indian sellers for some time before concluding that nearly all are 'bitsas'. The bright, gaudy colourings on the dial are a giveaway. They seem to start with acase, an old, worn ST96 movement and a repainted dial. Another giveaway is the plastic spacer rings inside the case. 

There are loads of different brands including Seiko and Citizen, all from the same sources.

The Oris looks awfully strange, i saw an Avia watch recently and can guarantee you that there is a huge difference compared to this one.

• Haha 1

Both watches are rubbish, keep clear!

When buying vintage on EBay scour the internet forums an blogs and do your research before bidding, there's a lot of rubbish, fakes and a plethora of watches put together from bits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoT said:

watches put together from bits.

Unless it has RLT on the dial.:yes:

Roy kindly made me a watch (or two) from parts, one has a modern case, a 2824 movement and a refinished 1950's Gruen dial.

However, Roy is a watchmaker, not an Indian chop shop artist.:wink:

Thanks again guy’s, would you mind if I post pics of some Im thinking of buying going forward, I’ll keep them all in this thread because there’s going to be a few :cool: