• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
xellos99

Question about creation

Hi guy`s, I'm just getting back into watches and my 1st pick up is an orient ray 2 from creation.

My question is : they have several shipping options.

Am I to understand that the correct one to pick is the registered mail 14 days, no box option ?

To avoid hidden charges etc is what I am getting at

thanks

Registered mail will be handed over to parcel force/royal mail and you may have to pay VAT and handling - not sure if any of there shipping methods is guaranteed to bypass HMRC.

Use the Royal Mail service, but I think this has no box.

It's no box with Seiko anyway but I always buy the Seiko box separately and the watch is invariably delivered in the Seiko box. :huh:

No idea why no box is a requirement for the Royal Mail option. I've never figured it out.

Not really "hidden charges" , they are technically liable for import duties whatever shipping you use. Try Amazon, sellers in the US doing them for not much more but they sort the customs duties out for you so you know the price up front is what you'll actually pay. 

Mako 2:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Analogue-Automatic-Hand-Winding-Stainless-Steel-FAA02001B9/dp/B01AK5TQQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543331943&sr=8-4&keywords=orient+ray+2

26 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Not really "hidden charges" , they are technically liable for import duties whatever shipping you use. Try Amazon, sellers in the US doing them for not much more but they sort the customs duties out for you so you know the price up front is what you'll actually pay. 

Mako 2:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Analogue-Automatic-Hand-Winding-Stainless-Steel-FAA02001B9/dp/B01AK5TQQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543331943&sr=8-4&keywords=orient+ray+2

They appear to have under-calculated the import tax so I wouldn't be surprised if you got stung for the correct amount on entry to the UK.

8 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

They appear to have under-calculated the import tax so I wouldn't be surprised if you got stung for the correct amount on entry to the UK.

They show the price, including shipping, as £104.20 and VAT would be £20.84 on that and so they have slightly overcharged. Don't see anything to get `stung' for.

15 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Indeed they have,don’t forget £12.00 handling fee.

13 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Nope, tax looks spot on. No import duty as value is under £120, 20% VAT on £108.25 incl p&p.

1 minute ago, Bonzodog said:

Indeed they have,don’t forget £12.00 handling fee.

You only get stung for a handling fee if your courier has to deal with the customs. If it's all paid up front as here it's already "handled"

9 minutes ago, richy176 said:

They show the price, including shipping, as £104.20 and VAT would be £20.84 on that and so they have slightly overcharged. Don't see anything to get `stung' for.

Correct. I was having a 'blonde' moment :laugh:

I used the registered mail 10-14 day, no box option I think.

I hope that works out, I have changed in once already after my first pick of DHL

52 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Nope, tax looks spot on. No import duty as value is under £120, 20% VAT on £108.25 incl p&p.

You only get stung for a handling fee if your courier has to deal with the customs. If it's all paid up front as here it's already "handled"

Yeah, I've had two watches lately America, one from Amazon US, who handled the customs, so just the the upfront customs of 20% and one from Jomashop, who didn't handle customs, so had customs of 20% + Royal Mails £8 handling fee to pay when goods arrived at local Royal Mail depot.

4 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Bit touchy I suppose asking your sellers to recommend which international delivery service are the more efficient smugglers:tongue:

I honestly would not be bothered if it was just 20% or whatever, but there is a £15 admin fee from memory and I have had surprisingly nasty bills in the past that I felt were well over and above what I view as fair personally. Some may not agree with me but I have always felt that way

19 minutes ago, xellos99 said:

I honestly would not be bothered if it was just 20% or whatever, but there is a £15 admin fee from memory and I have had surprisingly nasty bills in the past that I felt were well over and above what I view as fair personally. Some may not agree with me but I have always felt that way

That's why I wouldn't use Creation personally - you only get stung for these fees because they leave it to the customer to sort out the customs - which usually entails said customer hoping they get away with it and then having to pay the courier's admin fee to deal with it when they get caught out, at a premium rate because really that's not their job. Using a more reputable seller, like Amazon as I posted above, means they deal with the customs for you and you do only pay what you should because they do it properly. It's a gamble - Amazon you'll pay 20% VAT, Creation you might pay none if you get lucky, or you might get caught and pay the VAT plus whatever the courier feels like charging for a handling fee because at that stage you have no choice.

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?.. Well, do ya, punk?"

29 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

you only get stung for these fees because they leave it to the customer to sort out the customs

You are not being `stung' - just paying what is legally due

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, richy176 said:

You are not being `stung' - just paying what is legally due

No, what is legally due is the VAT - the fees I was referring to are the "handling fees" charged by the couriers for dealing with it for you. Having said that I have no real problem with the handling fees, basically it's just a penalty charge for not bothering to sort out the VAT properly and letting the couriers have the hassle. They are easily enough avoided by buying from someone who deals with it correctly in the first place so the couriers just have to do their own job and sort out delivering it. It's like most things in life try and do it on the cheap and it might be fine, but if it's not it'll probably cost more to sort it out later.

4 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

No, what is legally due is the VAT - the fees I was referring to are the "handling fees" charged by the couriers for dealing with it for you. Having said that I have no real problem with the handling fees, basically it's just a penalty charge for not bothering to sort out the VAT properly and letting the couriers have the hassle. They are easily enough avoided by buying from someone who deals with it correctly in the first place so the couriers just have to do their own job and sort out delivering it. It's like most things in life try and do it on the cheap and it might be fine, but if it's not it'll probably cost more to sort it out later.

The only time I have had to pay an additional handling charge is when the watch (or other item) has been sent via the postal system rather than by courier. I would guess that this is because the courier company offers a door-to-door service which includes customs clearance and that is built into their prices - any VAT would be charged.

I do not know how international mail works in so far as paying the receiving country postal service for their part of the delivery but it is unlikely to cover the costs of paying the VA|T on import and then collecting that from the recipient. I have found the handling fees to be quite reasonable but it may look excessive for lower cost watches as the work involved is the same on a £50 watch as for a £5k watch.

I really miss Blighty you really do have an excellent system that really works...
Over here we are not so lucky. I recently purchased a watch from Europe via a forum. The seller shipped DHL Express at my request. I was tracking the parcel; it arrived very quickly until customs retained it, like they do with everything valued over 22.50 euros. (The parcel never actually leaves the DHL facility) They recieved (the paperwork) early morning, it was not until mid afternoon I got a phone asking for my email address. I then recieved an email a couple hours later, requesting I could employ at customs clearance agent for 30 euros, plus tax, or I could do it myself... I did the latter.... By this time the day had gone, I had to start the process in the morning. Early next morning I set off 15km to DHL, who eventually released the paperwork to me for customs. Another 10km journey to customs, who wanted the online sales transaction copies of the conversation from the forum I purchased the watch and copies of PayPal or Western Union transaction. They then tax you upon the price of purchase including the DHL Express cost, after you pay that in a separate Post Office. You bring your Post Office receipt back and they release the DHL paperwork. Then I drove 10lm back to DHL who then charged me 20 euros for overnight storage of my parcel,. After I paid they released the paperwork which I went to another department to collect the package I paid them to deliver. Easy....lol

Cheers Martin :yes:

Just now, richy176 said:

@martinzx Would you do it yourself next time or pay an agent?

I would probably pay an agent :) 

But it all adds up and depending on the watch it is not always worth it. Next time I will probably send to the UK and collect it when I am back there.