• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
sabailand

Price disparity between a brands watches.

Seiko is a well liked popular brand that produces watches that suite most peoples pockets, but as you`ll be aware they also produce the Grand seiko range where some models can cost thousands.

I cant think of any other watch brand where there is such a price disparity between some of its models, a company which produces watches which might set you back £100 or less, and an high end model from the same company could cost you literally thousands, i cant think of any other brand myself.

I know some watch brands have models that go from the hundreds into a thousand or two, but seiko seems to have the biggest leap within its range price wise!

I always view them as having their standard watches, which vary in materials and price but run through the same quality/standards and manufacturing processes for the most part.

And then they have their very high end stuff that is a separate setup and shares little in common with the well common stuff....

I could be totally wrong though, just the way I view it......

2 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Wow i knew citizen watches could run well into the mid to high hundreds but this is a surprise.

Especially for such a simple looking watch - Citizen's normal pricing strategy seems to be to increase the price in direct proportion to the amount of tiny numbers, symbols and writing they can cram around the increasing number of sub dials and digital addenda.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Depends how you look at it, Swatch group have a massive range, but stick different badges on to suit the price tag.

(or should that be price Heuer on a watch forum:wink:)

I realise `swatch group` have a massive range, but swatch watches themselves arn`t particularly expensive new, but some collectors items can fetch thousands mainly for their rarity etc.

3 hours ago, sabailand said:

Seiko is a well liked popular brand that produces watches that suite most peoples pockets, but as you`ll be aware they also produce the Grand seiko range where some models can cost thousands.

I cant think of any other watch brand where there is such a price disparity between some of its models, a company which produces watches which might set you back £100 or less, and an high end model from the same company could cost you literally thousands, i cant think of any other brand myself.

I know some watch brands have models that go from the hundreds into a thousand or two, but seiko seems to have the biggest leap within its range price wise!

Actually Grand Seiko is not the top line, have you looked at the Credor range?  The Eichi II costs £40,000+ :evil9kf: 

Swatch group's Blancpain does sell watches with RRP at that price range though, so I'd say they're the only group that are comparable.

However there are a major difference.  Credor, Grand Seiko and normal Seiko (Prospex) are made in the same factory/building.  Whereas Swatch group brands are independent of each other even if they do share the ETA movement and parts.  Considering this fact, then the answer is no, nobody in the world has an operation and product range like Seiko.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sabailand said:

Have you looked at the price of some G Shocks? They can cost a few k.

11 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Have you looked at the price of some G Shocks? They can cost a few k.

Yes a post or two up theres a link to a G-shock, never realised G-shock prices went so high, mainly because of limited edition pieces i guess??

Edited by sabailand

11 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Especially for such a simple looking watch - Citizen's normal pricing strategy seems to be to increase the price in direct proportion to the amount of tiny numbers, symbols and writing they can cram around the increasing number of sub dials and digital addenda.

To be fair, that's the Eco-Drive One, a watch that is less than 3mm thick, with a light-powered movement that is 1mm thick, making it one of the thinnest watches ever made.

13 minutes ago, longplay said:

To be fair, that's the Eco-Drive One, a watch that is less than 3mm thick, with a light-powered movement that is 1mm thick, making it one of the thinnest watches ever made.

Well they could have written all that on the dial then:tongue:

Depends on how you count. There's a huge difference in price between a Rolex Oyster Perpetual and the "GMT Ice", for example, but I get what you mean since Seiko and Grand Seiko are essentially "different brands". At least promoted as such.:thumbs_up:

1 minute ago, Steve D UK said:

At a quick glance without my glasses on, I thought that said Citizen ARSOLE !

I have, in my lifetime, passed such Citizens. 

• Haha 3

Yeah, I've always seen this crazy disparity as a deterrent to their high-end watches, watering down the value of their Grand line. But I also own a Spring Drive GMT Marine Master that cost me $3k used so..... Yeah, I regret the purchase majorly. Lol

Don't get me wrong, it's a super nice watch, I can't deny it that. However the case thickness just makes it useless to me for a daily wearer with work clothes and the value simply isn't there. I'd give it a third what I paid for it as value.

I just don't love Seiko, but I've come to see and appreciate their overall value, over the years. When I first came here I was a major Seiko hater. Even mention of the name made me feel nauseous. No joke. Now I respect what they bring to the table and the bang 4 buck their pieces offer. Especially after having had to pay for my first Swiss automatic servicing... Pfft, renders every Swiss Auto completely worthless to me. I regret each of those purchases now. Wish I'd just bought one Seiko or some generic quartz and been done with it all.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• Like 2