• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Hydroconquest on the wrist.

Caller.

Had an unexpected watch experience earlier. Brief background, new, huge, shopping mall opened in Bangkok a week or so back and we wandered along today. Main attraction for the other half was a Japanese dept. store that was opening in Thailand for the first time, completely contained within this new mall.

Biggest draw for Pam was the food (Thais go nuts over Japanese and Korean food), but the biggest draw for me was what they call their 'watch alley'. I was hoping they might have some 'Japan only' Seiko's - but alas, that wasn't the case. But Pam had wandered over to Longines, as she always likes their ladies selection and I was duly summonsed over, where ignoring Pam (lol!), I noticed what seemed to me a new Hydroconquest and according to the sales lady (perfect English), that's exactly what it was.

The blue dialled version was stunning. It now has a ceramic bezel, a new seconds hand and a very nice 'tidied up' dial, with white lume filled numerals and markers. If anything the crown and guards have got bigger, but that's never been an issue for me. Apparently, it comes in 2 sizes, 41 and 43mm (meaning 39mm has been dropped). I never asked if the white numbers and markers on the bezel were lume filled as well.

Anyhow, according to the sales lady, these are currently only available via their store and their scheduled release is next year and they only had the 41mm, but it didn't half look a good fit on my wrist! If any of you know anything different to what this lady said, please shout, I haven't checked any of It (footy night - I have just watched the scousers thrash the cherries and united have just kicked off - ah, great goal, 1-0 up now). 

I was 'offered' the watch for 1100 pounds, bearing in mind the terrible exchange rate at the moment, that I am sure would be more than an RRP in the UK and seems a fair hike over the current retail price, but, but but...…..I want it - lol!

Anyway, here's a couple of Pams pics (my PO on black Kevlar/leather in the background). Watches here are wrapped and wrapped some more in some sort of cling film, so hard to get a good pic.

1544278701243.jpg

1544278745729.jpg

• Like 17

That does look nice!

I like Longines.....I have 4 of them...one being a Hydroconquest. The blue looks a really nice colour.......(even with the cling film on it!), the ceramic bezel is a nice touch too I think.

Will be back in Thailand in 8 more weeks....cant wait for some sun and.................................... some tom yoong goong!

• Haha 1

@Caller.Key difference for me is the new "faux centre link" taking the strap to the case. On the existing model the centre link is simply polished which is a little lazy. Fine looking watch. Agree the ceramic bezel is a good touch aswell, I'm ambivalent to the missing batons but concede it looks less busy. Good update on an already good piece.

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

it looks like the first dial they did, which would be the oldest, with a different bezel insert to before, didn't they update it with numbers all round, which mine had in 2015. Nice watch, but not really new is it?

Well no, apart from the new dial - see wrenny's post, new seconds hand, new lume numerals, new ceramic and possibly lumed bezel, new bracelet (?), but also as stated above, a good update. It certainly looked different to the current model I was able to compare it too. This style of dial has always been produced for the hydroconquest. 

I forgot to mention and never asked for the weight, but it had a good heft to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Well no, apart from the new dial - see wrenny's post, new seconds hand, new lume numerals, new ceramic and possibly lumed bezel, new bracelet (?), but also as stated above, a good update. It certainly looked different to the current model I was able to compare it too. This style of dial has always been produced for the hydroconquest. 

I forgot to mention and never asked for the weight, but it had a good heft to it. 

Ok i'll take your word for it, at a glance in the pics it just looks like the first one with a different bezel, didn't get a proper look at the bracelet, is it any better? It needed to be to take on the Aquis?

1544278745729.jpg

Image result for longines hydroconquest 2013

yeh fair enough i've put the 3 together for my own reference and can see the dial changes now. 

still like the one with all the numbers in the last pic best 

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Stunning , but can't help liking the version before the one before it best .... but that comes close ! :thumbsup:

Is that the one with all the numbers on? Thats the one i like best too:thumbsup:

I had that one so i did. Gone now. :(

20 minutes ago, Caller. said:

a good update

yeh thats what i'd call it rather than new, like a facelift on an old motor before the new one comes out next year?

Edited by Nigelp

37 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

yeh thats what i'd call it rather than new, like a facelift on an old motor before the new one comes out next year?

I dont see it the same way, I'd wager it's a good seller for Longines. Subtle tweaking but I think the model will run for a while. Unless the price creeps up too much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I dont see it the same way, I'd wager it's a good seller for Longines. Subtle tweaking but I think the model will run for a while. Unless the price creeps up too much.

I guess you are probably right, probably got to see it in the metal?  To be fair it does look nice and i liked mine with all the numbers on the second gen i think? At around a grand its a good buy for a swiss made diver with a good name on it. 

I'd like to see how it feels when compared with the aquis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Image result for longines hydroconquest 2013

still like the one with all the numbers in the last pic best 

Is that the one with all the numbers on? Thats the one i like best too:thumbsup:

I had that one so i did. Gone now. :(

Yep ... that's the one.... The best for me.

I have just got a brand new SuperOcean II 42 in black and thats also "old school" numbers , but I just love that... 

The S.O.II I just obtained for £2200 brand new on steel , but comparing the two watches at RRP , the Longines is by far the better value. £1000-ish v £3000-ish but Breitling has that old school charm so for me wins but the older Longines is a classic for its time and can be picked up Unworn or approaching mint for around £600 which is about as good as it gets....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Yep ... that's the one.... The best for me.

I have just got a brand new SuperOcean II 42 in black and thats also "old school" numbers , but I just love that... 

The S.O.II I just obtained for £2200 brand new on steel , but comparing the two watches at RRP , the Longines is by far the better value. £1000-ish v £3000-ish but Breitling has that old school charm so for me wins but the older Longines is a classic for its time and can be picked up Unworn or approaching mint for around £600 which is about as good as it gets....

I bought that very same watch in 2015 with the black dial at Goldsmiths in llandudno, I paid £790 and at the time i think it was the best value Swiss Diver from a good brand with a good history. An Aquis was nearly twice the price. I like it best to, never liked the big pilot type numerals on the older one and i dont on the newer one. That one is still the nicest for me. I put it on here for i think for  £500 when it was maybe 6 months, but got a good trade for a ball HC Engineer bnib. We are a kind lot on the forum when it comes to pricing things. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

Personally...i think Longines are great value for money.

I picked up my 4th Longines today...(well rather the postie delivered it!)...but you know what I mean!

Longines Hydroconquest, even second hand are normally a good or a few hundred quid cheaper than Oris .

Mind you...I like Oris too..........Though I have only one of them!

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

I bought that very same watch in 2015 with the black dial at Goldsmiths in llandudno, I paid £790 and at the time i think it was the best value Swiss Diver from a good brand with a good history. An Aquis was nearly twice the price. I like it best to, never liked the big pilot type numerals on the older one and i dont on the newer one. That one is still the nicest for me. I put it on here for i think for  £500 when it was maybe 6 months, but got a good trade for a ball HC Engineer bnib. We are a kind lot on the forum when it comes to pricing things. 

Oris are a different beast for me ... impressive but heavier and the whole feel it less refined. But both are awesome bang for buck as they say. The only thing Longines get wrong  in my opinion is not sizing down their quartz versions of the Hydro....

@Nigelp Well, just a quick update and to be fair to you, there is actually a current, or old HC with the new dial as displayed in my OP. The one I saw was black and it had an older aluminium bezel with markers only. I dug out my pic as above and again it could be me, but the numbers in my OP seemed not as chunky as in the black version I saw earlier. So same, same but different! :rolleyes:

As we were elsewhere and the guy in the shop spoke no English, Pam asked if he knew when it was due for release and basically he said we would have to pre-order it. Maybe something was lost in translation. :biggrin:. The models I saw earlier were all about 15k Thai baht cheaper than what I was quoted for the new model yesterday.

6 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Robinson in Udon Thani central had a watch fair; not sure when it ends but there may be similar ones down your end. They had Mont Blanc, Rado, Longines and several other brtands on display and available to purchase. Not sure about deals as I wasn't looking to buy any of them.

Yes, that's pretty much what we saw, with the exception of Montblanc - at Icon Siam - a brand new Mall right on the river near the Peninsula Hotel (Robinsons is owned by Central). The new watch was in the Japanese department store within the new Mall, and it was my understanding that it was they and their store in Japan, that had early access to this model.