• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch Gecko Premium Milanese Diver...a review.

Ordered Sunday, arrived today, and very pleased indeed! This bracelet is one of Watch Gecko's 'prototype' items and was in their sale priced at £18 (RRP £68). It is advertised as being long, but I only had to remove two of the links and adjust the clasp in order for it to fit my 7.5" wrist perfectly. Available in polished or satin stainless steel, this is the satin one. It came very nicely packaged with a complimentary microfibre polishing cloth and three spring bars.

large.20181211_171919.jpg.c83d8db988c43996c266a15d79d90575.jpg

The mesh is beautifully made and has 4 removable plain metal links at the clasp, which is push button locking with a fold over safety clip. This is the 22mm lug version, there is also a 20mm version. This one tapers from 22mm at the lugs to 20mm at the clasp. The mesh is very substantial at 4mm thick. The mesh is welded to tubes at each end which I think gives a neater finish than just plain mesh links as on some shark meshes. It is very slick and supple. Some reviewers have said that there are some sharp edges, but I can find none on my example...it is very comfortable. The links are held in place by split pins which are simple to remove with the pin end of a spring bar tool.

All in all, a superb bracelet for the money!

large.20181211_172607.jpg.2ca3d2d77771bbcf117db7d44a9b8fbf.jpglarge.20181211_172648.jpg.6d6b2a6a54219eefcb71cc14580c707b.jpg

Tubed ends with notches make fitting simple.

large.20181211_184613.jpg.8c73f1eac4482fdf21e8d2a087d20a86.jpg

The design of this particular watch case hides the ends...

large.20181211_184413.jpg.f5429c17b07cb1bffab79ec47425e77a.jpg

Just two of the removable links needed taking out.

large.20181211_184706.jpg.c28a7163f5a34cc62950ae857a3d6372.jpglarge.20181211_184536.jpg.75174e233fc52d31f2026aeab3fb68d3.jpg

Wrist shot...

large.20181211_184449.jpg.5a315236489b178125d660d7b70d3a30.jpg

Superb value for £18....if you want to try a mesh, get one before they go back to £68! :thumbsup:

large.20181211_184802.jpg.b5e99035ab30ec7a60e34b51e670a6a8.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ab20000 said:

Great purchase, they are £88 now so will hold off for now but keep and eye out for any sales.

Are you sure you weren't looking at their Gallox Milanese which looks similar but as you say, £88? The Prototype Premium Milanese diver is still showing at £18 here...

https://www.watchgecko.com/geckota-stainless-steel-watch-strap-milanese-mesh-22mm.php

Mine arrived today, I went for the 22mm polished butterfly, and its luuuvly.

For sixteen quid, including the discount code above, it's mind blowing value. Clasp feels solid and it's got a nice heft to it. Inside of the clasp is quite curved and I've got weirdly flat wrists but it doesn't dig in or anything. Didn't need to remove any links for a 7.25ish wrist, and no hair pinching either, which is pleasant!

It seems to be about 21.75mm but I'm completely ok with that, it won't grind against the inside of the lugs. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the hinge that attaches the clasp to the strap, it's tiny and weirdly stiff, but I assume that will losen up.

No photos yet - I popped it on an skx to have a look but it's for another watch I've got on order.

All in all an absolute winner. 8/10 would buy again.

Edited by ry ry

While I'm thinking about it, what's the crack with watchgecko"s prototype range? I assume they had a bunch made to basically give to people and get feedback before refining the product, rather than seconds or anything?

If it's the former, I'll make the effort to send them some feedback - they have some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with tbh

37 minutes ago, ry ry said:

While I'm thinking about it, what's the crack with watchgecko"s prototype range? I assume they had a bunch made to basically give to people and get feedback before refining the product, rather than seconds or anything?

If it's the former, I'll make the effort to send them some feedback - they have some of the best customer service I've ever dealt with tbh

I think you are correct...while I found the split pins a doddle to remove with my Bergeon spring bar tool, I would prefer to see screwed pins instead, so maybe they'll take this on board. I did leave a review, but didn't mention screwed pins as several others had already done so. I don't know why some reviewers found it hard to remove the pins...perhaps they were pushing them in the wrong direction, but this is clearly marked with an arrow on the links, or perhaps they just weren't used to adjusting a bracelet...most non-WIS wouldn't attempt this...they'd take it to a jeweller.

Took advantage of their 20% off watches deal earlier today.

Basically buy a watch and  buy £50 worth of straps and you get the straps free, got a stainless one for the watch to accompany the Ostrich leg and a mesh one for my Raketa, unfortunately the prototype doesn’t come in 18mm so ordered a normal one.

I know nothing about the watches but they look quality and look fantastic so ordered this beauty. :toot:

2yxprth.jpg

• Like 1

Got it today along with the spare chamfered 5 link with a spare link, this strap is brushed on the outer links and 3 centre polished ones,  the mesh one with quick release pins for my Rekata and a free wine bottle opener and polishing cloth.

Cant fault any of the straps including the Ostrich leg that comes with it, the watch is gorgeous and looks as good in person as in their pictures, it comes in a lovely dark wooden box and an outer black box with logo and another white outer sleeve.

Cannot fault a thing, very impressed with everything and I’ll post pics of the watch elsewhere soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wearing the butterfly version daily for a week or so after finally getting around to adjusting it (2 links out, bang on perfect on 7.25", allowing a smige of extra room for the clasp)

Very comfortable, despite my concerns about butterfly clasps in general. my previous tiny niggles (width a fraction small so some lateral shuffle on the springbar, and the edge snags on clothing occasionally) are still a thing but it fits beautifully, the clasp action is just positive enough to satisfy and it's nicely weighted.

The fixings where the mesh ends are slightly agricultural on mine, they seem firmly affixed and for the money it's still incredible value, but I don't know if I would be delighted with them on a £70 strap?

Tl;dr strap is lovely, finish isn't *quite* premium imo, but it's more than enough. Plus I put out on an cheap Russian diver so I can't complain about the finishing when it's better than the watch it's on!

Edited by ry ry
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of the milanese in the sale just fitted it to my longines legend diver had to remove a link each side which took a while as i have never mucked about with a bracelet before, the thing sits very well is a good thickness and the polish works really well but, the clasp now wont lay flatit doesnt have enough curvature on it before i start bending things have i done something wrong adjusting the bracelet?

you can see one the photos below 

large.B70E318A-A9F7-4B8E-BEEF-331B9DE9C519.jpeg.b33768bbc51281b07b32bfb44f78dd9d.jpeg

Edited by Chris 810
Need another photo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...