• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nucejoe

Need advice cleaning watch jewels

Hi all

Working on vinatge Oris watches, I rekon I need to master cleaning kif jewels (in place) be it by pegging ,  ultrasonic shockwaves or else. 

I appreciate any advice.

Best wished.

Thank you for your response and introducing essence of renata.

Upon refitting, Oris kif jewel assembly dose not seem as SNUG TIGHT in place compared to preremoval .

Perhaps my technique, incompetency or lack of special kif jewel R/R tools, so I am looking into cleaning in place. for possible alternative.

Anyhow, essence of renata sounds special , expectedly effective for the task, will get me some for sure.

Regards joe

ooling to reinstall the jewels as snug tight as before, so I am thinking in terms of cleaning" in place" . 

Ronson lighter fluid, is a good degreasing solution, and a lot cheaper. Rodico, is very useful when cleaning shock systems. Also prevents the shock system parts, leaving the bench. Pegwood also helps, to remove thick congealed oil from the centre of the Endstone. A small pellet of Rodico, held in the tweezers can also prevent loses of the small parts, when handling them.  I keep a small, closed, tub of it on my bench. Just for shock system cleaning. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, simon2 said:

Ronson lighter fluid, is a good degreasing solution, and a lot cheaper. Rodico, is very useful when cleaning shock systems. Also prevents the shock system parts, leaving the bench. Pegwood also helps, to remove thick congealed oil from the centre of the Endstone. A small pellet of Rodico, held in the tweezers can also prevent loses of the small parts, when handling them.  I keep a small, closed, tub of it on my bench. Just for shock system cleaning. Hope this helps.

Thank you for expanding on the subject. Some vintage Oris I clean, stop runing within couple of weeks/months, Intersetingly  the movement  takes off as soon as I put a droplet of fluids on top of the staff's jewel assembly.  I received advice diagnosing the issue as one of congealed vintage oil gripping staff's pivots, that is; Upon soaking, the varnish absorbs cleaning solution,  gelatinize and expand, though the movement is free to run for couple of months, the gelatin eventually recongeals.

I am yet to peg a jewels assembly successfuly.

Ultrasonic or R&R machines are recommended.

I am trying to avoid investment on the tools improper for the task.

Looking forward to your response and many thanks.

Ultrasonic and R&R cleaning machines, jewel removal and pegging and other approaches are recommended.I am trying to avoid investment on the wrong machine and so far been unable to peg a jewel assembly clean.Looking forward to receiving more help and many thanks.

on lighter fluid is not available here) so zippo is added to the cleaning solutions I use, which are three different formula of kerosene plus paint thinner and what is refered to as jet fuel. Jet fuel visibly oxidizes oil/ grease to salt immediately.

ndstaff pivots 

Just to clarify.  The oil I am talking about is what oil I invisige to have accumulated on the concave side of the jewel, facing inside of jewels hosing.

I can peg the oil inside jewel hole. 

Regards