• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Field Watch ?

WRENCH

I've just finished reading some articles/reviews on field watches, many which I would characterise under the "dude" category, as the possibility of them ever seeing a field on the owners wrist is highly unlikely. An IWC pilot watch does look cool in the wine bar with a checked shirt and a beard. :laughing2dw: Anyway, surprisingly in amongst all the expensive stuff, the humble and cheap Timex always gets a mention, which I tend to agree with. For my outdoor pursuits I'm strictly old school, through choice. Mechanical watch on my wrist, traditional map and compass for navigation, I also always carry a quartz (usually Casio) as a back up. NATO and ZULU straps are a pain (as are bezels), for some reason I always manage to catch the hardware in something (barbed wire and twigs usually), anyway my watch of choice for the past 18 months or so has been this,

large.IMG_20170622_133922.jpg.06ebaf24e0099613f6b27847ecb903df.jpg

36mm so it's unobtrusive, and hides under my cuff, plus I have every confidence in it. It's showing signs of wear and tear, but so what. Anyway, what's your "field watch" Oh, this was my old one :laughing2dw:

large.IMG_20161230_1226265_rewind.jpg.0d438a2fcb7678309470a5ba522f965f.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Isn't the Tudor too good for bush work? 

No, if it gets broke it gets fixed, and I like it. It's had a few scrapes which I've had polished out, and it has one of those "screen protector" things on the crystal ( like you stick on a phone screen) I got this in a gift, supposedly built for the purpose, but it's too big and clumsy.

large.IMG_20181107_144639.jpg.8c7533cfba8956bef1fd49cebd922873.jpg

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 3

I like watches, mostly chronographs. Call them whatever you want... field, park, icerink, or rooftop watches. I don't really give a rip sheetle, they're just damn watches to me. They all perform the same basic function, they show the time. Always seemed the stupidest thing to me, a "field watch". How's about you take your "field" watch out to the field, I'll go grab my atv and meet you out there for a "smashing" good time.

Now a yacht watch makes sense though, seeing as they are actually specifically designed to time yacht races, the time leading up to the starting of one.

4 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I like watches, mostly chronographs. Call them whatever you want... field, park, icerink, or rooftop watches. I don't really give a rip sheetle, they're just damn watches to me. They all perform the same basic function, they show the time. Always seemed the stupidest thing to me, a "field watch". How's about you take your "field" watch out to the field, I'll go grab my atv and meet you out there for a "smashing" good time.

Now a yacht watch makes sense though, seeing as they are actually specifically designed to time yacht races, the time leading up to the starting of one.

Thank you. What purpose do you have in mind comparing a watch to an ATV ?

Edited by WRENCH

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Thank you. What purpose do you have in mind comparing a watch to an ATV ?

Oh no, no comparing, I was attempting to make a joke. Clearly very poorly so. Lol

I was going to use the ATV to run it over. Hence the "smashing" pun. Yeah bad joke,I know.

I just can't get into field watches in general. They're too bland for me, however your Tudor above is gorgeous!

30 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I would go with my daily beater, the Casio Gravity Defyer...

Different strokes. 

Out here all I need is a "three hander",

Cairngorms-National-Park-2JPG.jpg

a compass,

201305160911550.kompass.jpg

and an O.S. Map.

exp_057_cover_2015-05_1.jpg

and if your compass fails (I always carry a backup),

• Like 1

I've two, my Seiko SNZG13K1 and a Citizen Royal Marines:
269937431003201.jpg?r1024x1024
275392702018201.jpg?r1024x1024
The Hamilton Khaki Field is very tempting... [emoji4]
2 lovely looking watches there, i was very impressed woth my hamilton, stunning quality watches, i may need a field watch eventually [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

No, if it gets broke it gets fixed, and I like it. It's had a few scrapes which I've had polished out, and it has one of those "screen protector" things on the crystal ( like you stick on a phone screen) I got this in a gift, supposedly built for the purpose, but it's too big and clumsy.

large.IMG_20181107_144639.jpg.8c7533cfba8956bef1fd49cebd922873.jpg

Looks a big one Wrench its nice to have the odd monster although the strap perhaps makes it look even bigger, like the watch not the strap

• Thanks 1

Off topic, I'm afraid  --  but the only watch types which seem to me to be defined in a relatively clear cut way are "diver" and chronograph. Does this forum have a common understanding as to what constitutes a "field watch", a "pilot", a "marine", or even a "dress watch"? If so, I'd be grateful for elucidation . . . .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yokel said:

Off topic, I'm afraid  --  but the only watch types which seem to me to be defined in a relatively clear cut way are "diver" and chronograph. Does this forum have a common understanding as to what constitutes a "field watch", a "pilot", a "marine", or even a "dress watch"? If so, I'd be grateful for elucidation . . . .

By definition a field watch was one that was good enough to stand up to battlefield conditions. That was before the marketing men got to it. This is still my definition albeit I don't think too many Black Bays will be seen. My O & W is pretty close.

large.20180803_163121_kindlephoto-1640467.jpg.8ea348e759dfa479ae02ef7b562f0471.jpg

15 minutes ago, JELLI said:

af4b7af7f5e5f3fbde11494f299411dd.jpgours didn’t careless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'd bite the pushers off a chronograph. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

A 'field' watch has to:

a) work, regardless of the climate or conditions it's worn in

b) look good, because who wants to wear an ugly watch

c) be equally at home in the boardroom or BA exec lounge as it is in the field

The only way I managed to get a watch to achieve the above was to build it myself, and if you look at the back plate you'll see it proudly says 'Field Engineer'.

about6.jpg

Shaun-diving-sept-18.jpg

ddes.png